Shield/Ion Weapon Experience Grinding

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Sion Sheevok

Shield/Ion Weapon Experience Grinding

Postby Sion Sheevok » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:57 pm

It seems as though you can grind your characters' experience levels early on using a combination of shields and ion weapons.

I managed to find a stalemate point using Layout B of the Engi Cruiser while fighting a Slug Light Cruiser that has a single ion weapon and a single beam weapon. My shields are manned and as such, I never take damage. I can, literally, sit here forever without fear of destruction. In the mean time, my shield manning crew is leveling up to max. Additionally, as I have ion weapons, I can fire them endlessly without destroying the enemy, causing my weapons manning crew to level up to max.

I wasn't intending to do this, but after a bit I realized it might be possible and, lo and behold, it is.

With enough shields, you can max out your crews' shield levels.
With enough shields and ion weapons, you can max out your crews' weapon levels.

I assume my pilot and engine skills are not going up because beams can't be avoided and ion weapons have 100% accuracy against shields?
Sion Sheevok

Re: Shield/Ion Weapon Experience Grinding

Postby Sion Sheevok » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:02 pm

Update: My pilot and engine skills are increasing, although far more slowly than weapons and shield.
MajWoops

Postby MajWoops » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:15 pm

Yup, I came here looking to see if anyone had already posted this. I'm in the Mantis cruiser right now, "fighting" a Rebel ship with one heavy laser. My Engi is slowly grinding his shield skill (the skill that seems to take the longest to max too, in my experience).
MajWoops

Postby MajWoops » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:19 pm

Looks like weapon levels go up just from firing (and hitting the enemy shields). Cross-trained, maxed-out crew, here I come! :lol:
Vurogj

Postby Vurogj » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:01 am

As an additional way to grind skills, shield skill goes up EVERY time any layer of shield is raised.

With two or more levels of shield, against a weak hitting (or slow hitting with careful timing) enemy, you can grind shield skill very quickly by simply lowering and raising the shield power to force a reraise in complete safety.

EDIT : After further testinh, it only works in battle. Likewise, raising the shield after asteroid field strikes doesn't raise skill either.
Last edited by Vurogj on Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
GoldenShadowGS

Postby GoldenShadowGS » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:04 am

Weapon skill only increase when you cause damage. Ion damage counts as damage.
Pilot and engine skill goes up when you evade/dodge something like an asteroid, missile, laser, etc
Shield skill goes up when your shield takes damage, I think
curithwin

Postby curithwin » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:29 am

Nice find there. Have to try it out. ;)