"Tough Little Ship" for new people

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Oathbreaker

"Tough Little Ship" for new people

Postby Oathbreaker » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:56 am

So I got it stuck in my skull that I want to see the other layout on the Kestrel, and ...probably wrongly, figured "Tough Little Ship" shouldn't be so insane to knock out. Even if like me, you refuse to go Easy mode. And you just started playing a few hours ago.

1. You're gonna die, a lot, so the strat has to be doable in the first two sectors or it'll be some time.

2. Keep your ship pretty damaged just running around. This means you won't have a really long battle when you do get in position to make a run for it.

3. Find a store. Have enough scrap to heal up to full. Alternatively you can just sell all your weapons to do it, but that's kind of immersion-breaking to me. But we're already breaking immersion to go for an achievement, I suppose.

4. Learn to fight and control damage from rebels.

5. Know weapons visually so you can more easily gauge incoming damage and modulate it.

6. Have lots of crew to control fires and the state of your ship as you watch the hull dip down to 1.

Anything I'm missing?
curithwin

Re: "Tough Little Ship" for new people

Postby curithwin » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:04 am

I did it without thinking about it. Lucky or what!
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:27 am

1. Get 2-3 shield bubbles. (and possibly a defense drone)
2. Get 60-90 scraps (depending on which sector you are in, it's more expensive to repair in later sectors)
3. Find a store.
4. Explore the nodes around it looking for an enemy. (you don't want to have an enemy between you and the store). Preferably not one that is assaulting another ship. The friendlies may end up repairing your ship breaking your achievement.
5. try to disable all but one weapon (preferably a laser/plasma bolt weapon). Ion weapons are good for this.
6. Bring the enemy ship low so you can kill it fast when you need to. (assuming you have ion weapons so you can disable his weapons without damaging his hull) Make sure there's no fire on the other ship) Less important if you can negate all damage done by the enemy ship.
7. disable/enable shields to regulate how much damage you take. (if you can control how much amage you take by the shield alone you might want to move the pilot out of the cockpit)
8. jump to the store and select repair ALL. It's important that you repair it all in one go.

PS. make sure you don't have the repair arm augment or encounter any friendly npcs that decide to repair your ship :p
Oathbreaker

Postby Oathbreaker » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:28 pm

Good points, but in my mind it's easier to just tool around in the first sector, which means you won't have access to much stuff - once you hit the later sectors it might be a tiny little bit easier to accomplish with access to certain gear - but the loss is so much greater if you mess up.

Here's what I do - explore the first part of the first sector very quickly. If you find a store, clear that system. (Do store systems ever have hostiles in them? I think so but can't remember.) If not, hightail it down the sector and try to buy time while taking a path adjacent to a bunch of stars so you'll quickly figure out if there's a store or not.

Don't take a path around the edge unless it's unavoidable - less chance of a store usually, since you'll have fewer travel paths displayed to you.
Maze1125

Postby Maze1125 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:08 pm

Have enough scrap for repair.
Find shop next to asteroids.
Sit in asteroids with your shields down until 1hp, while ensuring your cockpit and engines are working.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:20 pm

Oathbreaker wrote:(Do store systems ever have hostiles in them? I think so but can't remember.)

Nope, never.
Oathbreaker

Postby Oathbreaker » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:28 pm

Maze1125 wrote:Have enough scrap for repair.
Find shop next to asteroids.
Sit in asteroids with your shields down until 1hp, while ensuring your cockpit and engines are working.

This is what finally did it for me. On top of that, the ship I was fighting was a perfect weapon combination, and I had just gotten two shields in Sector 2 iirc - so not much risk investment, easy day.
Uniform764

Postby Uniform764 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:16 pm

Oathbreaker wrote:3. Find a store. Have enough scrap to heal up to full. Alternatively you can just sell all your weapons to do it, but that's kind of immersion-breaking to me. But we're already breaking immersion to go for an achievement, I suppose.

I got this, partly by accident, partly by design. I was down to 1hp, and I already had 6 alien crew. Assuming the run was as good as over, I decided to sell all but an Artemis launcher to fund the repairs and unlock the Red Tail variant of the Kestel, rather than waste the run completely. Continued the run for a laugh to see how far I'd get. Made it to the boss, just because my shields were good enough to tank long enough to jump from every fight. Died to the boss because I only had four missiles, so I went for repeated O2 generator kills. Didn't work, but I went down fighting damnit.
Last edited by Uniform764 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Plague Doctor

Postby The Plague Doctor » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:27 am

You have done well, my servant....
"The Beacon rarely heals the same person twice..."
irnehhenri

Postby irnehhenri » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:00 am

I tried the tips suggested here, but still didn't go so well for me. I found it easier to find an asteroid field, kill the enemy and just let the asteroids do the damage (I found one right next to a store :) )