Is it worth buying a Teleporter?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
The Captain

Re: Is it worth buying a Teleporter?

Postby The Captain » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:13 pm

Lost in space wrote:I tried to board with humans and rockmen before with no success ...

Arrr, if ye be boardin' with squishy meatsacks, ye be needin' at least a level 2 teleporter. But rocks be tougher'n barnacles.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:31 pm

So long as the enemy doors aren't locked, you can send in a team of anybody but Rocks (but Mantises work best), run them around the ship while the countdown's running, and then send in the Rock B-team into a 4-person room. Then bring your squishier people into the bottom two slots and let the Rocks tank the damage while the fleshies deal it.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Maya

Postby Maya » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:37 am

5thHorseman wrote:My favorite tactic is to wait to shoot thier medbay until their guys run to it. Usually you can not only take out the medbay but kill the guys in it to boot.

Your fighters don't get the kill for it but hey, that's the price of being awesome :D

But it's extremely dangerous. You need to disengage by porting back if you miss the Medbay and try it again later, while the enemy heals up and if you don't have enough shield to block incoming attacks over long battles, then this might be a expensive try to kill someone within the medbay.

So most time it's safer to destroy their medbay before bording their ship, especially if you don't have Mantis/Rockman.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:04 pm

Maya wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:My favorite tactic is to wait to shoot thier medbay until their guys run to it. Usually you can not only take out the medbay but kill the guys in it to boot.

Your fighters don't get the kill for it but hey, that's the price of being awesome :D

But it's extremely dangerous. You need to disengage by porting back if you miss the Medbay and try it again later, while the enemy heals up and if you don't have enough shield to block incoming attacks over long battles, then this might be a expensive try to kill someone within the medbay.

So most time it's safer to destroy their medbay before bording their ship, especially if you don't have Mantis/Rockman.

I don't know if I'd classify it as EXTREMELY dangerous. If you board right away on a lot of ships, when the first guys run from the fight the pilot leaves his post to join the fray, cutting their dodge down to 0 (hopefully) or at best 10-15 percent. Just make sure you have 1 or 2 more shots than they have shields and fire your big guns last and you should be fine. And if you miss, well then run your guys around the ship until the teleporter's ready to go again :)

And of course there is a risk. There's a risk in every part of the game. But the risk/reward for taking a ship intact is a VERY favorable ratio, enough that you should do it every single time you can.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Maya

Postby Maya » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:59 am

For beginners or someone who don't know how to use the Teleporter properly it is dangerous^^ So it's safer to take it out first and if you know how to board this way correctly, you can try to improve your tactics, but most time, it's not really neccessary, as long as you don't board with Engi/Zoltan.
zeek

Postby zeek » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:55 pm

athorist wrote:You can also get the scrap bonus you get from boarding and killing everyone by using an anti-bio beam.

Or keeping the O2 knocked out and asphyxiating the enemy crew or lighting enough fires to burn them all to death.
Terminus

Postby Terminus » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:55 am

zeek wrote:
athorist wrote:You can also get the scrap bonus you get from boarding and killing everyone by using an anti-bio beam.

Or keeping the O2 knocked out and asphyxiating the enemy crew or lighting enough fires to burn them all to death.

Best done with the SLug Interceptor, or as I like to call it, the "Please suffocate me and blow up my engines while I helplessly watch"