Cloak / Weapon cooldown guide

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Lanvi

Cloak / Weapon cooldown guide

Postby Lanvi » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:59 am

HI everyone!

I recently unlocked the stealth ship(s) and realized that knowing to identify weapons and their cooldowns was integral to success in using cloak. I found myself tabbing and scrolling a lot to the wiki to identify weapons and found it a bit tedious so I decided to make a reference table. Might as well share it :D

Tips:
  • you can dodge weapons that are within 1 sec cooldown of each other by micro managing pause
  • you can dodge an Ion and weapons that is meant to fire 2 sec after an Ion shot as Ions travel slow
  • If a beam is the shortest CD among their arsenal, cloak immediately
  • several weapons share the same sprite so you're gonna have to judge them by cooldown/projectile appearance

Lasers

Missiles

Bombs
these have the same launcher but different projectiles
(listen for the sound and pause to identify/cloak)

Beams

Now that I've finished making this I'm off for another Stealth B run :D
Last edited by Lanvi on Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UltraMantis

Re: Cloak / Weapon cooldown guide

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:49 pm

Thanks for the guide. Especially the neat tables and pics. :)

2 issues(nitpicks). The heavy pierce is not used in the game, and the Hull Smasher Laser has it's own sprite.

laser_hull_strip8-crop.png
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Lanvi

Postby Lanvi » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:15 pm

woops! I had the hull smasher pics in my guide folder but guess I forgot to put them in.
I purposely added in some weapons that you wouldn't likely encounter like the healing burst so you could judge enemy weapon cooldowns using your own cooldown bars.
iceburg333

Postby iceburg333 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:28 am

I agree with UltraMantis, this guide is very helpful!
Just being able to look at the weapons together like this helps to guage which are better and will help to weight decisions in-game, besides the benefit for stealth strategies.
Thanks!
Twinge

Postby Twinge » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:19 pm

Knowing these timings is important for optimal play using the Stealth Cruisers. Especially pay attention to the light missile launcher times (9/10s) and Basic/Heavy/Burst Lasers (10/9/11-12s).

I'll also note that Unmanned Drones are treated as having the weapon system manned by a level 1 crewman (so 14% cdr).
FTL Tips & Tricks Video Series

Catch my stream on Twitch

Improve game balance, fix bugs, and have more decisions: Twinge's Balance & Bugfix Mod