So I've been trying to get a victory...

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
IConquer

So I've been trying to get a victory...

Postby IConquer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:27 pm

on all ships (b types included) on normal difficulty, now that i've unlocked everything.

Unfortunately... next on the list is engi B.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom, other than "get good drops"?
5thHorseman

Re: So I've been trying to get a victory...

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:52 pm

Stagger your shots. First the ion, then the laser. Go for their weapons first, probably, and then their shields once they can't damage you any more. Or, "waste" one shot on their shields and see if you can then move the ion to something else. Ions do a great job on weapons.
Activate, then deactivate all of your drones when you start, so they're ready to go. Let them return to the drone bay before you deactivate them after every fight so they can heal up. Wait until they're fully healed before you move on.
Try evacuating the entire ship of air except the cockpit. Some people like it. I personally don't but try it a few times and see if you like it.
Use your Engi, not your repair drones, to repair everything after the battles are over. That way, he'll ramp up his skills.
And of course, take willingly any weapons and augments people will give you. You'll need a better weapon before the 3rd sector or you'll hit people whose shields you can't take down. And even one crew member will make a huge difference. 2 will essentially convert this ship into a normal one.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:40 pm

5thHorseman wrote:Try evacuating the entire ship of air except the cockpit. Some people like it. I personally don't but try it a few times and see if you like it.

I vented half the ship, leaving air all the way to the Weapons room, with the idea that I could send the Engi there after the enemy weapons were out. Didn't actually go fire the weapons all that much. I think if I vented more, I'd at least want to leave air in the Medbay.
IConquer

Postby IConquer » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:32 am

Finally did it!

http://i.imgur.com/Rd2kVNl.jpg

The ion blast was bought in the first store I ran into in sector 1, and it suddenly changed me from: "can't beat anything with more than 1 shield" to "can eventually disable any ship". I was then able to focus all my scrap on defensive stuff, and it carried me to victory!

The burst laser 2 was found in sector 8's store, and that simply made it easier to punch through.

But yeah... having two ion weapons is pretty damn strong.

Oh, and a random drone being given to me, a hull repair drone, also made it much easier to save up scrap.
cicobuff

Postby cicobuff » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:52 am

Congrats! :) Some people would scream in pain and frustration at the challenge of figuring out the game mechanics.

Glad you went over that hurdle. =)

Now go work on the burst lazers + beam combo =).
IConquer

Postby IConquer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:54 pm

cicobuff wrote:Congrats! :) Some people would scream in pain and frustration at the challenge of figuring out the game mechanics.

Glad you went over that hurdle. =)

Now go work on the burst lazers + beam combo =).

It's not that I don't know most of the game mechanics already... I just view the engi B to be a very weak ship. :P