Requesting a guide for what sectors that is viable

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Timmerman

Requesting a guide for what sectors that is viable

Postby Timmerman » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:17 am

Hallo there FTL forums, this will be my first post here!

So from reading on FTL wiki i know that every sector has their own set of "treats" to suprise me with.
To remembering which sectors that i think is good i started writing things down.

Example of this:

"Pirate Controlled Sector - Standard" (where standard means getting all the cheap upgrades for getting blue quests to procc.)
- 4 Blue quests
- Take bribes here! - Small weapons as payment.

Well to be honest i still have a hard time beating the game (mostly last boss) and my way of writing things up takes too much time..

SO..! I was wondering if there is any guide out there to which sectors to pick that will give me the most benefits and biggest chance for success!

Remember, this is my first post - So treat me well! :roll:
UltraMantis

Re: Requesting a guide for what sectors that is viable

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:32 pm

Well green sectors have fewer enemies, more stores and sometimes free stuff you can find. Red sectors have tougher enemies but higher rewards. If you take damage during combat, the higher rewards will be wasted on repairs.
The race controlling the sector also matters. Mantis love boarding you so if you can defend against that and have a teleport, their ships will have fewer crew to fight and usually weaker weapons. Slugs can be a serious pain with their hacking. Zoltan supershield can be a big problem for some ships, but their ships usually have squishy crew.
Nebulas will be tougher without upgraded scanners as many events are tied with them.

Since the game is unpredictable and your ship/equipment varies, it's impossible to establish a best route, you kinda have to roll with the punches.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Timmerman

Postby Timmerman » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:36 pm

@UltraMantis

Thanks for the answer.

Well i kinda knew all that.. What i was wondering is just if there are some Sectors that you ALWAYS should skip. Too much trouble for the buck or things in that category.. If there were some sectors with easy to get awards, alot of easy blue selections etc :)
BKT

Postby BKT » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:28 pm

I avoid the Rebel Control Sector like a plague— It's nothing but automate ships one after the other, and half of them will try to FTL away to warn the fleets, have over 9000 evade and shields, and give poops reward... :geek:

I'm also not a fan of Pirate Sector— too much humans to fight in too many type of hazards and no reward, and the map is usually kinda weird.

My Fav sector : 1) "Civilian Sector" — Good mix of event and a variety of enemies to fight. 2) Slug Sector — It's fun fighting the Slugs. :mrgreen:
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:08 pm

I tend to avoid Engi and Zoltan because i usually don't want either the supershield or drones as obstacles. If i dont have sensors i'll skip nebula sectors. I'm happiest in all red sectors though Rocks are annoying with their high health.

The only sector i allways avoid is civilian, because i'm allways after loot an that one is often bone dry for me.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Timmerman

Postby Timmerman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:56 am

@Ultramantis

Now that's more of what i was looking for in an answer! Thanks :)
AllTheJuice

Postby AllTheJuice » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:25 pm

I try to hit as many pirate sectors in the beginning because I seem to run into more slavers there. Last game I played, sector 2 and 3 were pirate and I had a full crew by the end of 3 without purchasing crew members.

If you haven't unlocked all ships, visit the more rare Homeworlds. Even if you need that particular species to unlock their ship, you still have a better chance of finding one there.
Dralax

Postby Dralax » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:49 pm

I try to avoid green sectors unless it's sector 7 and I feel like I need to visit some shops before boss. Beyond that it is entirely up to the ship I'm playing and the loadout I get. Some examples:

Avoid rebel sector if playing boarding-heavy (more drones and runners)
Go to as many nebulas as possible if I have long-range scanners (those tend to have more empty events and with scanners I can avoid them)
Avoid Zoltan if I have no ion or decent lasers.
Avoid Mantis unless I have enough crew/medbay upgrades/door upgrades to handle 6 boarders.
Avoid Rock if I'm using fire weapons
Timmerman

Postby Timmerman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:56 am

Loving the answers! These tips will help me out good! :)

@dralax

Help understand the logic here though..

did not understand these 3:

"Avoid rebel sector if playing boarding-heavy (more drones and runners)
Avoid Zoltan if I have no ion or decent lasers.
Avoid Rock if I'm using fire weapons"

Help me understand them? :)
Agg Shell

Postby Agg Shell » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:44 am

I make a b-line for the exit if i get a mantis sector for sector 7. Those mantis bombers will turn your ship inside-out, cause ~45 scrap worth of damage, and leave you disabled with a gazillion hull breaches and fires. ontop of 4 shields. and thats one battle.
Are you a mantis? Do you lack ships to fight and Zoltans to chew? Look no further! Come to your nearest mantis warcamp in the Zoltan Homeworlds or Zoltan controled sector and ask for a free brochure about how to farm the Zoltan! Results may very.