How to build Kestrel B as a boarding ship?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Infiltrator

How to build Kestrel B as a boarding ship?

Postby Infiltrator » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:59 pm

Having some trouble with that one, I need to get the mantis so I need medbay and TP lvl 2, but the lasers fail me after sector 2.. how do you guys suggest to build this ship considering I want the mantis?
vashts1985

Re: How to build Kestrel B as a boarding ship?

Postby vashts1985 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:18 pm

Infiltrator wrote:Having some trouble with that one, I need to get the mantis so I need medbay and TP lvl 2, but the lasers fail me after sector 2.. how do you guys suggest to build this ship considering I want the mantis?

the lasers are fine for a while. tear down shields and then go after weapons and just keep hammering. the reload on the basic laser is amazing. you should be fine until you start seeing craft with 3 to 4 shields.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:40 am

Certainly try to hit enemy shields before you let the laser fly, it helps in case some shots miss. And they have a habbit of missing. :)
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Neoviper

Postby Neoviper » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:57 am

The primary thing I find that stops the red-tail's starting lasers from being effective is dodge; even against two shields, if they can't dodge that's two getting through every ten seconds or less based on weapon skill. Usually piloting will go down in one or two shots max in the early sectors, after which weapons could be targeted and brought down to a non-threatening level. You'll take a bit of damage depending on the ship you're up against, but usually a manageable amount, and you'll be getting additional scrap from boarding. The starting crew is well capable of boarding early on, a mantis and human are a match for most crew complements if played well. A big part of boarding is having sufficient defense to allow enough time for your boarders to wear down the enemy. Level two shields is often a good idea, after which a bit of engines can help cut down on missile damage a little. Another perk of having a point or two in engines is your crew on those systems will level up noticeably faster, giving you that 10% additional dodge faster as well as having a bit more base dodge purely from engines. Kestrel B is an all around good boarder given the right kit and crew, definitely more than viable.