Universe Project - Most ambitious game

Talk about cool new indie games, Kickstarters, bundles, etc.
filip15100

Universe Project - Most ambitious game

Postby filip15100 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:28 pm

I am kinda in a hurry right now so I'll do this quickly. I am posting this because I haven't seen it here yet, in the hope that more people get the chance to see the game. Also the game is in it's pre-kickstarter stage now, so we don't know much about the game yet, but from what they are promising us, it will be awesome. This game is pretty known but I hope to get even more people to get known with it.

http://startonate.appspot.com/?ref=em9sdGFuc2tpNkB2cC5wbA <-- My referral code to the game (I hope this is okay, I use their official referral system, or if it's not okay use this link since I want no harm http://startonate.appspot.com/)

Universe project is a very ambitious game made by an indie company that I don't remember the name to, but i know that there is one main dev. The video on the page explains basically what they want the game to be, as I am too lazy to explain it properly here.

If you want to show support to the devs, currently there is no donation but they will make a kickstarter later down the line, for now the only thing you can do is to write your e-mail at the bottom of the page to also get some links to more information. If you do it with my referral link then I will get a few bonuses for spreading the word, but you decide what to choose.
Last edited by filip15100 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Neverpraying Mantis

Re: Universe Project - Most ambitious game

Postby Neverpraying Mantis » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:35 pm

Concept sounds abslutely ridiculous.

Not that it wouldn't be awesome, I'm just very sceptical that it can be done.
mrguy888

Postby mrguy888 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:12 pm

Too ambitious IMO. Even if a working copy becomes available I have no doubts that it will be just a fraction of what is promised. By fraction I mean 1/9999999999999, if that.
filip15100

Postby filip15100 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:40 pm

I knew that people would be sceptical about this, but the most importiant thing is that they aren't asking for money yet, so you can't really complain, but you do have the right to be sceptical. In this page here http://universeprojects.blogspot.ca/ they answer both the fact that it is actually possible and many other questions people asked. They also said that they won't be making a kickstarter before they got proper Proof-Of-Concept so I think that this is likely to be made with the right support from the community.

I hope that you rethink this a little, remember that technology is all the time advancing and we can do amazing things even today. If this dosen't happen... well... Too bad, no harm done, will probably happen in 10 years or so. Remember also that Pc's are the fastest advancing technology today so things like this are possible with the right funding and minds...

Oh, and one more thing, they are trying something new, and when someone tries something new, people will be sceptical, let me think of a good example... 3D printers. I don't know how it was when the idea was first announced, but I guess that very many people were saying that it would be impossible to make such machines, but yet, here we are with 3D printers slowly making it's way to people's homes. Think a little about how far we have advanced technologically, just think a little, and ask yourself "is this still impossible?".
Szczypior

Postby Szczypior » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:18 pm

A start world of the size of earth? Well, if this won't have enormous player base, this game is sentenced to die within a weeks, because how long can you look for other people by walking on foot? They need to simplify many things in order to achieve anything which will be playable..
Neverpraying Mantis

Postby Neverpraying Mantis » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:49 pm

I've actually read their FAQ blog before I made my comment, so I'm not saying I don't realize that it could be done in principle. They definitely thought hard about how it could actually be done.

And most doubting comments are indeed ridiculous with objections that people could easily answer themselves if they thought for about one second. Well tell me, how do you make a planet-sized map? And how would people even find each other? Well duh, obviously you let people spawn in close proximity to each other and the planet gets procedurally generated as they move outwards from that initial "birthplace".

I'm not saying it's impossible in principle, I just don't think that they can pull it off and if they could the concept may sound much better than it plays.
Their current screenshots show a very primitive stage, but I think they already chose the wrong format if you look at the house. The house is one object, that you maybe could customize in limited ways but it doesn't let you be creative by actually building it in any way you want - if they chose a voxel based engine my interest would be much higher.

There actually are games already similiar to the base concept, one being EVE online and the other is Topia Online which is currently in development with a smaller scope but with what I consider to be a much better enigne suited for that they are aiming for. They recently blew it on kickstarter but it seems they are still determined to give birth to this game:

http://www.topiaonline.com/
mrguy888

Postby mrguy888 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:55 am

Topia looks pretty cool actually. I don't exactly have tons of money to throw around so may I ask if you have actually tried it?
Neverpraying Mantis

Postby Neverpraying Mantis » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:27 am

No, but I know someone from another forum who may possibly throw me a beta key once they start it.

Personally I'm not sure if this game is gonna be awesome enough to pay whole 25$ before I'm certain it's good. It looks good and promising but still has lots of potential to fail, or at least it might get a rough start.
filip15100

Postby filip15100 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:08 pm

Neverpraying Mantis wrote:I've actually read their FAQ blog before I made my comment, so I'm not saying I don't realize that it could be done in principle. They definitely thought hard about how it could actually be done.
-snip-

I know about topia and I've indeed pre-ordered it already. But you are talking about the planet, and that might be a little unrealistisc, but have you heard of kerbal space program? They got many planets and the sun and it is indeed working. If you optimize the game correctly it will work, but you got to have the right players too. I do still agree with you partially, either way, we're going to see what is going to become of this. And yes, I do realize that Kerbal Space Program is Single Player and is not rendering stuff we aren't seeing, and as you said, it might be possible.
mrguy888

Postby mrguy888 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:37 pm

Neverpraying Mantis wrote:No, but I know someone from another forum who may possibly throw me a beta key once they start it.

Personally I'm not sure if this game is gonna be awesome enough to pay whole 25$ before I'm certain it's good. It looks good and promising but still has lots of potential to fail, or at least it might get a rough start.

I agree completely. The risk of the game not ending up that good, not ending up at all, or never getting an adequate playerbase is very high. I suppose by not paying we are contributing to the problem but such is life. :lol: