Your top 5 favourite game soundtracks?

Talk about anything non-FTL related here.
Springy

Your top 5 favourite game soundtracks?

Postby Springy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:26 pm

We all play video games here and I assume listen to music, of course video games are more than just about game play and graphics there is an element of sound that also draws us in. My top 5 video game soundtracks are:

1:PSX Doom: I am a sucker for ambient soundtracks. This particular one was produced by Aubrey Hodges who just recently released his. The PSX version of Doom was my first and the soundtrack was so atmospheric and unforgettable.

2:FTL: Produced by Ben Prunty. A great and wonderfully ambient soundtrack absolutely fitting for a Sci-Fi game.

3:Hotline Miami: Produced by various artists including; M.O.O.N and Lone Survivor producer Jasper Byrne just too name a couple. Great uplifting soundtrack reminiscent of the 80's.

4:Amnesia - The Dark Descent: Produced by Mikko Tarmia (not sure if I spelled his name right) Great ambiance fits the horror genre incredibly well. A soundtrack that just pulls me in and fits the atmosphere of the game incredibly well.

5:Plutonia 2: Produced by Jimmy91. A great uplifting track to an amazing map pack for Final Doom's Plutonia.

So what's your top 5 favourites?
That doom player. My Doom speed demos: http://doomedsda.us/player435lmps.html
Youtube: D4V35PR1NG Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198050485606/
Nimbostratus

Re: Your top 5 favourite game soundtracks?

Postby Nimbostratus » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:47 pm

I'd be hard-pressed to choose one as my absolute favorite, so these are in no particular order:

Mass Effect - Specifically the establishing bit of the first game, with Shepard walking through the Normandy as it makes its shakedown run. This totally cemented the game as a classic in my mind. The rest of the soundtrack is nothing to sneeze at either.

One Must Fall 2097 - Most of you have probably never heard of this game, but it holds a special place in my heart and the soundtrack (composed by one Kenny Chou) is very catchy and memorable.

Wing Commander - Speaking of old games. The WC series is more well-known. WC and WCII had dynamic soundtracks (music changed depending on the in-game situation) and made great use of the Sound Blaster, which was the coolest new thing at the time. The later games didn't have such distinctive music (in my opinion, at least) but they still weren't bad.

Street Fighter - I'm waxing a bit nostalgic here, aren't I? But the SF series as a whole has great music, and a seasoned player can immediately recognize each character's leitmotif. (Example: Guile's theme goes with everything.)

Pokemon - All of it. Especially the Champion themes, which all give the feeling of "this is the epic final battle and you farking know it".

Honorable mentions:
Halo, Freedom Fighters, Star Control II, Heroes of Might & Magic ... honestly, I'm quite an audiophile. I could go on all day.
Last edited by Nimbostratus on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:45 am

Top 5 game soundtracks... lessee...

1. MechWarrior 2
To this day I have not found anything with such a unique sound that I can still listen to for hours. There were some good tracks on the Ghost Bear's Legacy expansion as well, though MW2:Mercenaries was kind of a weird hard-rock mix that I didn't enjoy nearly as much. The original soundtrack from the game disk though? Completely awesome.

2. Ecco the Dolphin CD
The first family comp came with a high-res PC port of Ecco, including numerous CGI cutscenes. And like MW2, when you popped it into a CD player, you'd get the music (after skipping the first track). Over 15 years and I'm still not tired of that music...

3. Morrowind
From the title track of "Nerevar Rising" (Bethesda's "Elder Scrolls Theme" for their third iteration) to the cheery exploration tunes as you step off the boat in Seyda Neen, no other soundtrack can instill the same sense of wonder and excitement that Morrowind's music does. The long hours I poured into that game are only rivaled by the hours I've spent with those game MP3's on loop.

4. Rainbow Six
I've always enjoyed epic orchestral movie soundtracks, but Rainbow Six was my first taste of something like that in a game. The tracks are painfully short - the longest is only 2:12 and most are under a minute, but they remain one of my favorites.

5. Unreal Tournament (1999 original)
"Wheels" is by far my favorite track, but I enjoy most of UT99's score. It's the same sort of stuff I listen to on a regular basis anyway, and several tunes find their way into my larger playlists.

...I've rated them mostly in terms of how much I enjoy the whole album, and admittedly a great deal of nostalgia plays a role too. Still, some other games deserve a mention:
-Mass Effect 2 for the "Suicide Mission" sequence. Whatever your thoughts on the game as a whole, I can say that no other game has ever evoked such strong emotions in me. That last half-hour or so was like living in an action sci-fi movie - a good one - and I know if it weren't for the music, those final sequences wouldn't have been anywhere near as powerful or as tense.
-DragonSeeds. Go ahead and laugh if you want, but as mediocre as this PS1-era monster battler from Jaleco was, some of the music pieces are downright fascinating to listen to.
boa13

Postby boa13 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:33 am

I don't have much time to think about this, so this is more a dump of what I currently have in mind, I may recall better ones while I commute. :mrgreen:

- Final Fantasy VI, V, IV (let's say it's one entry :) same artist, same era, same technology) - gorgeous tunes, very well rendered on the very limited hardware of the time, subject to many successful re-interpretations by fans

- Unreal and Unreal Tournament (let's also say it's one entry, same artists, same era, same mod technology) - memorable tunes, too, I still listen to them regularly (and if you like them and have never listened to Leftfield's Leftism album, you might be pleasantly surprised when you do)

- System Shock and to a lesser extent System Shock 2 - maybe not extraordinary on their own, but I have such good memories from the game, and the System Shock soundtrack has been so well covered by talented fans

- Cave Story - notable for its catchy retro-tunes, for being the work of a single guy that initially did not know how to create music (and who also did the whole game design, programming, graphics) and the great remixes that have been published

- Battle for Wesnoth - notable for its high quality, a rarity in open-source games
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:44 am

Nimbostratus wrote:One Must Fall 2097 - Most of you have probably never heard of this game, but it holds a special place in my heart and the soundtrack (composed by one Kenny Chou) is very catchy and memorable.

Go Shredder! How playable is that game, and all it has is a Punch and Kick as attacks. Play this oldskool fighting game, it's special.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Megas Domestikos

Postby Megas Domestikos » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:54 am

So many great soundtracks, so many to choose from.
Not in any particular order.

Fallout - The series always has had good music, but the first/second one really captivates me more than the (also great) radio musics from F3 and NV. My two favorite tracks by far are Radiation Storm used in the Glow, an abandoned research facility abandoned when it was nuked 80 years ago, and Followers of the Apocalypse, most memorably used for the Enclave, the remnants of the US government, in Fallout 2. Gives me chills every time.

C&C - Red Alert 2. Frank Kelpacki is a musical genius, and the action packed RA2 OST was perfectly fit for every second. By far the best track of the game is Grinder

C&C - Tiberian Sun. Much bleaker and dark music than RA2. Likewise fits the themes of the game perfectly. Favorite tracks are Pharotek and Heroism.

Deus Ex & Deus Ex Human Revolution - Really awesome series ('cept Invisible War) and really awesome music. If one has any taste for a good story Deus Ex are definitely worth a whirl. Chosen tracks from Deus Ex 1 is the Main Theme and from Human Revolution is Icarus. Icarus is probably the single best game music piece I've ever heard.

All tracks worth a listen, even if you've never heard of the games.
Space Roman
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:27 pm

Not a top list, just a bunch of games with good music i could remember.

Fallout I & II - Great game overall and a near perfect soundtrack/
metroid 3 - One of my favourites. Love the music, well most of it.
age of mythologuy - I dont like RTS except this and Starcraft. And DoW. Fantastic soundtrack.
Crhono Trigger & Seiken Densetsu 3 - I love these SNES rpgs. Bahamut was also nice, but these two have very memorable music. <3 <3
Nicklas 'Nifflas' Nygren's games - From #modarchive story all of his games combined art with simple but difficult games, and they were packed with very good music. Witihin a Deep Forest remains my favourite.
uplink - Love the music. Fits very well.
slamtilt - In my humble opinion the best pinball game ever made. Excellent music throughout.
ufo aftershock - Not a lot of music but i liked it a lot. Great game as well. Pity it's so picky about video drivers or else i'd play it today.
x3 reuninon - Last but not least. Perfect in every way may be too much, but i haven't heard this game make an unpleasant sound. Gorgeous music fits the visual experience perfectly
Springy

Postby Springy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:10 pm

I'll admit though that there are loads of video game soundtracks that I love. It is a pretty difficult question to answer. I was going to include fallout 1, unreal, Hacx, street fighter, tekken 5 and loads more. Nice seeing what soundtracks everyone likes so far.
That doom player. My Doom speed demos: http://doomedsda.us/player435lmps.html
Youtube: D4V35PR1NG Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198050485606/
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:09 am

I forgot this 8-bit goodness:
Lyle in Cube Sector - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9oQ5SVPiKQ
Good game.
DarkPhoenix141

Postby DarkPhoenix141 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:56 pm

1: Hotline Miami 1 & 2

2: FTL

3: GODS WILL BE WATCHING Flash and Full.

4: Dark Souls

5: Project Zomboid
This is no easy mission...

BUT YOU SON. YOU WERE BORN FOR IT.

And remember:

GODS WILL BE WATCHING