Day Z

Talk about anything non-FTL related here.
dicesquirrel

Day Z

Postby dicesquirrel » Tue May 22, 2012 9:32 pm

Is anyone playing this? If so, let's band together.
dicesquirrel

Re: Day Z

Postby dicesquirrel » Tue May 22, 2012 9:38 pm

For the lazy but still curious:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth ... id=3481582

reddit.com/r/dayz

In a nutshell, it's a persistent open world sandbox zombie survival simulator fps. It will blow your mind.
Warbird

Postby Warbird » Tue May 22, 2012 11:51 pm

I'd like to but there's no way in hell that my computer can handle Arma II.
dicesquirrel

Postby dicesquirrel » Wed May 23, 2012 12:46 am

Dude, I have a MAC and it runs. Radeon 6970M 2gb card. The engine is impressive as hell. I might've been going crazy, but after a running firefight with zombies, my vision was literally swimming, everything was warping and bending as though looking through a mirage. And no, I wasn't tripping balls. Also, experiencing the last rays of light vanish over the hills, night settle in, and eventually going to pitch darkness was unnerving and way more frightening than anything I've ever experienced in a game.
Justin
Site Admin

Postby Justin » Wed May 23, 2012 2:42 am

Wow. I totally want to try this after I get back to a place with decent internet. Looks intense.

Plus this is hilarious http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRpPIyJDSEQ
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
soratidus999

Postby soratidus999 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:13 pm

8 guys from my guild seem really heavily entrenched in it

i havent seen em move

personally - i dont have enough time to like another game
Warbird

Postby Warbird » Wed May 23, 2012 7:04 pm

I grabbed Combined Operations off of Amazon, but I can't find my Operation Arrowhead folder in my Arma directory. Am I missing something?
Rohk

Postby Rohk » Thu May 24, 2012 1:37 am

I managed to get into one game so far. It seems the secret is to wait for a server that is in the process of starting up, since servers that have been running for a bit just dump everyone in the debug forest. Anyways, I got into that one game and proceeded to sneak about for about 20 minutes. I killed 2 zombies while exploring an old military base, but got shot by another player on my way to look for loot elsewhere. It was awesome! All the best parts of a roguelike, the tension, the ever present threat of instadeath, the unforgiving everything, compounded by the fact that there are 49 other people in the world with you. Some are friendly, some are decidedly not. Some will be friendly until you only have one can of beans left and there's no halfsies.

I haven't played nearly as much as I'd like to, so maybe I'm more infatuated with the concept than the execution, but Day Z is a Pretty Big Deal.
Rohk

Postby Rohk » Thu May 24, 2012 1:43 am

Warbird wrote:I grabbed Combined Operations off of Amazon, but I can't find my Operation Arrowhead folder in my Arma directory. Am I missing something?

does the amazon buy link it to steam? i can't remembe if Arma2 uses steamworks or not. Either way, my steam install has separate folders for Arma 2 and Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead. Also, did you grab the installer/updater utility? I tried manual install at first, but botched it because i'm terrible at everything.

here is the link for the installation guide if you are having trouble, maybe it'll help? good luck! it's an odd install, even for a mod.
dicesquirrel

Postby dicesquirrel » Thu May 24, 2012 2:46 am

For me, Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead is its own entry and has its own folder in steamapps. I followed the directions in the video they've got linked on the download page, it worked alright. I switched to the auto updater, that works for me too. They released two patches tonight, maybe that's why you're having trouble?

Yeah, fucking crazy game man. The atmosphere is perfect. I've been writing an End Of Life report for each character, so I can kinda remember my playthroughs...

dayzlog.tumblr.com