Subset Games Logo

Talk about anything non-FTL related here.
Rohk

Re: Subset Games Logo

Postby Rohk » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:14 pm

dicesquirrel wrote:So psyched to see the community up and active already. Can't wait for FTL along with the rest of you cool cats.

It's neat that everyone is pitching your ideas for the logo, but as a freelance designer who works frequently on identity, logo design, etc, I would strongly urge Subset to consider a logo a high-value, relatively low-cost business expense and not farm it out to the community. With your considerably expanded budget, it would not be difficult to hire a top notch designer (and I'm definitely not talking about myself here, I'm small potatoes) to do a comprehensive identity for your newly forged company. Logo, letterhead, business cards, style guide, you could get the whole package for in the neighborhood of $2-3k, according to Pricing and Ethical Guidelines 2011. In China, probably for way less than a stateside design firm.

Design is a job, not a hobby. Give this blog post from Mike Monteiro a read: http://weblog.muledesign.com/2010/08/ti ... design.php

Keep on kicking ass and taking names, you guys. I can't wait to see your careers take off into the stratosphere with the launch of FTL.

Good points, all. I don't think Subset ever actually ASKED the community for logo designs, unless I missed a tweet. I just saw the thread and thought it would be good practice. They should definitely consider hiring a pro to nail down the studio identity, especially if they plan to keep making games after FTL.

Personally, I just think this sort of thing is good fun. I used to design t-shirts for bands, 1-3 color, simple clear designs that can be screen printed for <$2 per shirt. Every new band was a challenge. I don't have nearly enough reasons to tool around in inkscape these days.
TheStarsBurn

Postby TheStarsBurn » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:54 pm

Rohk wrote:Personally, I just think this sort of thing is good fun.

Agreed.
I don't know about everyone else, but I love doing this sort of thing (and it's so much easier to do when you've got a something to work on, instead of trying to make something up).

Anyway it can't hurt to see some ideas, at worst they could get an idea of the sort of thing they don't want :lol: .
Luke

Postby Luke » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:18 am

Personally, I'm just enjoying the chance to do something different in Photoshop. I have no idea about logos, but I'm enjoying the chance to muck one up. Like others, it's more for personal enjoyment than anything else.

Anyway, I was mucking around with mine a bit more:

Luke

Postby Luke » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:20 am

take wrote:bored on my iPad. what i wouldn't give to have illustrator on this thing..

What app do you use to do something like that?
Justin
Site Admin

Postby Justin » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:32 am

What a cool thread. When we were picking the name I never actually made the connection with "sub" = submarine. We were thinking more about the programming/math term for subset. Plus sandwiches. Because sandwiches are awesome.
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
TheStarsBurn

Postby TheStarsBurn » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:57 am

Justin wrote:When we were picking the name I never actually made the connection with "sub" = submarine. We were thinking more about the programming/math term for subset.

The more I think about it the more I like Luke's idea of including a submarine.
I think you could probably combine it with the maths idea to get something interesting, I've had a quick go here:

sset4.jpg
take

Postby take » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:55 pm

Luke wrote:
take wrote:bored on my iPad. what i wouldn't give to have illustrator on this thing..

What app do you use to do something like that?

it's a free app called cube construct. it's basically just a 3D pixel editor. i just made two layers of 'pixels' to get the 'subset' effect that you see here.
Stelly

Postby Stelly » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:08 pm

I love it :D

Stelly
soratidus999

Postby soratidus999 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:31 am

TheStarsBurn wrote:
Justin wrote:When we were picking the name I never actually made the connection with "sub" = submarine. We were thinking more about the programming/math term for subset.

The more I think about it the more I like Luke's idea of including a submarine.
I think you could probably combine it with the maths idea to get something interesting, I've had a quick go here:

Image]

simple clean, and stylish!
dicesquirrel

Postby dicesquirrel » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:03 pm

Wow, that iPad app is awesome. Fingers and toes crossed that we see FTL for iPad as well.

I like everyone's logo comps, they look pretty rad and it's neat to see how excited everyone is to welcome our new Subset overlords.