Anyone else geeked out for Star Citizen?

Talk about anything non-FTL related here.
spongebobsaget

Anyone else geeked out for Star Citizen?

Postby spongebobsaget » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:44 pm

I had a moment of weakness and ponied up for the 2-seater Super Hornet.

*cues up the Kenny Loggins*

DAAAAAAAAAANGER ZOOOOOOOOOONE!!!

:lol:
R4V3-0N

Re: Anyone else geeked out for Star Citizen?

Postby R4V3-0N » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:59 am

I can't run it and I am not going to buy an alienware computer to do it =_=
I am aware you can build your own PC but I am that kind of person who will end up making a box shaped tesla tower.

I am more hyped out for Space Engineers.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
spongebobsaget

Postby spongebobsaget » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:01 pm

The way I see it, we've got a couple months until the dogfighter alpha comes out, and then until next summer for the full-universe stress test on the Beta. I've got time to save up for a new rig :D

Also, I'm not a particularly hardware-inclined individual either. I tried building a computer from scratch with this one about 2 years ago now and honestly it wasn't hard at all. The only thing I'd recommend for sure protecting yourself with is, spend the $5-10 to have the computer supply shop mount the CPU on the motherboard for you. That's not something you can screw up and have it survive (if you bend any of the pins on the motherboard side of the CPU, you're hosed and have to buy a new mobo).
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:53 pm

I know I know, but it's harder then making weapon mods for ftl and I can't even do that right.
I literally spent weeks and hours per day trying to fix my weapon and it's still has no single progress since day 1.

oh well :roll:

Trust me, when I do something I am not experienced in or even sort of. Sh*t happens, one time I tried to get a patch to make MechWarrior 2 work on windows XP (originally for windows 95 that game) and it didn't work, after sometime fixing it I edited and changed that folder/file thing that your computer needs to have to run and operate.

What kind of idiot makes that mistake? even worse, in a similar situation I also corrupted one of those other files, I still wish my windows XP was still alive today. that way I can play Freelancer instead of dream about Star Citizen...

Oh and the only/ biggest problem I got is graphics card which is waaaaaay to expensive for me...
Trust me if I somehow got all the parts and you are there to 'hold my hands' through the whole thing I still think it won't go well.

Edit:

Oh and my favourite class is not in Star Citizen atm and not sure what they exactly mean by customizable ships because from videos I seen it's only colours logo' and words. a Weapon swap isn't really customizable to much in my eye.

The're no... (good) bombers.
The're no artillerys (eg Osprey technically, or that other SC's Harpy)
The're no... flagship classed ships
The're is no mining ships, blockade ships, Destroyers, Battlecruisers, etc.

Also there is no FTL style bombs or FTL: CE style mines which I love...
For obvious reasons teleportation bombs will be over powered... especially against a regular fighter.
"Then suddenly a huge bomb appears on your lap in your cramped fighter cockpit"
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:22 am

R4V3-0N wrote:I am more hyped out for Space Engineers.

Been trying it out recently, it's exactly as much fun as it looks. The only problem right now is, lack of multiplayer / AI / anything else means there's nothing much to do except build, and it gets a little dull. A friend and I are figuring on having our own ship manufacturing "company" / faction, so right now it's a matter of ironing out some good designs.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:07 am

Yea I know how it is like, but soon it will have the other stuff, last I check multiplayer is top on the list along with weapon functionality. :D

I want to re creat all FTL's ships in that and also resized
(come on... just compare a normal fighter with a ftl one or lighter ship, then compare the smallest ships to the bigger ones, not that major change in size)
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
spongebobsaget

Postby spongebobsaget » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:03 pm

R4V3-0N wrote:I know I know, but it's harder then making weapon mods for ftl and I can't even do that right.
I literally spent weeks and hours per day trying to fix my weapon and it's still has no single progress since day 1.

oh well :roll:

Trust me, when I do something I am not experienced in or even sort of. Sh*t happens, one time I tried to get a patch to make MechWarrior 2 work on windows XP (originally for windows 95 that game) and it didn't work, after sometime fixing it I edited and changed that folder/file thing that your computer needs to have to run and operate.

What kind of idiot makes that mistake? even worse, in a similar situation I also corrupted one of those other files, I still wish my windows XP was still alive today. that way I can play Freelancer instead of dream about Star Citizen...

Oh and the only/ biggest problem I got is graphics card which is waaaaaay to expensive for me...
Trust me if I somehow got all the parts and you are there to 'hold my hands' through the whole thing I still think it won't go well.

Edit:

Oh and my favourite class is not in Star Citizen atm and not sure what they exactly mean by customizable ships because from videos I seen it's only colours logo' and words. a Weapon swap isn't really customizable to much in my eye.

The're no... (good) bombers.
The're no artillerys (eg Osprey technically, or that other SC's Harpy)
The're no... flagship classed ships
The're is no mining ships, blockade ships, Destroyers, Battlecruisers, etc.

Also there is no FTL style bombs or FTL: CE style mines which I love...
For obvious reasons teleportation bombs will be over powered... especially against a regular fighter.
"Then suddenly a huge bomb appears on your lap in your cramped fighter cockpit"

There are two particularly good bombers in the ship-set as of this moment, even this early in the development. The Gladiator is a carrier-based bomber and the Retaliator is a long-range bomber. Both will carry a mixture of bombs, torpedoes and missiles, all customizable.

Flagships? Bro, have you seen the Idris cruiser/destroyer and Bengal-class carriers? They're freaking HUGE. lol

There are already a number of mining ships, many of the ships come with variants that include tractor beams for salvage, and many will be able to get equipped with ore processing units as well. The Starfarer is a HUGE tanker, capable of scooping hydrogen from gas giants.

Blockade runners, there's plenty of those too.

As for customization, most ships come with a number of customization slots, and will have the capability to remove modules and replace them with something else if you'd prefer. So, a Retaliator can be modded out as a pure gunboat with rotary torpedo and missile launchers, or you can swap some of that out for bays that are designed for exploration, mining, and salvage.

Even in pre-alpha, the graphics are stunning. I'm pretty sure my trusty 560 won't be able to handle the full game on full settings (lol, no chance in hell), but I'm praying that doubling my ram to 16gb and getting a new graphics card will be enough.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:57 am

I know about those big ships, just I always wanted to be a capital ship/ flagship for 1 reason.

Range, Firepower (at extended range then norm ships) and I am always the guy busy on the map laying nav points and communicating on the comm if like I'm in an AWACS or a Lancaster spotter plane.

Also some ships you listed I never heard of, maybe because the official and unofficial wiki is sh*t at updating, or have a poor wiki / wikia community, or what ever.

Well from what I seen bombs in that game are not exactly my kinda sci-fi bomb unless I am mistaken, link vid?

Well tell me when Space Engineers out, I would rather fly in a Federation Bomber then one of those things xD and that isn't an insult, I love FTL ships @u@

there so cool and my fave sci fi atm after MW/ BT series and something else but there only humans and only animals on some other systems, not exactly smarter then a dolphin or so.

Also you got problem A, I still can't run the game, I am getting sick of these God damn graphics on this god damn computer, WE LITERALLY JUST UPGRADED IT awhile ago, we learned that were never upgrading, it took the computer weeks because something got f'ed up in the process, do you know how it's like to be me with no internet access?

-getting off topic, why pc is important to me-

Just before you think I got no life...
I do all my study on this PC and research.
I can call my lover or text or email or what ever after the earthquake (she moved half way around the world all the way to murica... New Zealand never felt so alone...)
I got quite a bit of spare time of my hands.
my PC is even my bloody alarm clock to wake up for class or my part time job.

I am not rich nor experienced to hire someone to do everything for me NOR do it myself. Sorry.
So literally things will go down hill fast if I loss PC access. I could buy this so called 'Cellphone' but I got no one in normal text or call range besides the police and my friend who lives down the lane.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
spongebobsaget

Postby spongebobsaget » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:38 am

All the capital ships are going to be multicrewed. So, there will be a "captain", a nav-guy, multiple crewable weapons, etc.

Actually, several of the "regular" sized ships will have multiple seats as well, where the additional seats are pretty much intended for exactly that role, forward observers, awacs style missions, mission commanders, etc.

As for FTL ships in the Star Citizen universe, I can pretty much guarantee that will happen. They are allowing for player-controlled servers and an open/modable universe.

I can't wait!

As for PC power, I totally hear ya. It's been a rough year for my household. No money right now to try and even put aside for a new rig.

However, if you're looking for ideas on how to build a nice gaming rig on the cheap, make sure you check out Tom's Hardware! They tend to update their multi-tiered "build" article every couple months. They usually ha ve a $350 version, $650 and up. I'm going to try and scrape enough together to build whatever the latest tech will get me for appx $650 next year sometime. Even if I just put $5-10 a week in a sock or something, lol.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:23 am

interesting, but I think I still can't do it myself... looks to... how to say.
I can't even make a house of cards with hot glue =_=
I may be fine in art when it comes to being gentle and soft, but once it's about putting things together, you wouldn't trust me (my hand shakes to much and I often hold objects to tight)

I know about the modding but still, I doubt quite a lot of things with stuff like that for some reason.

Lastly, I don't exactly have any money to spend, at all. I got a part time job, and I got a goal to save enough money to get my love here, I can provide free accommodation to her (I know people) and food shouldn't be to hard due to being in a country that is like world famous for farms. I got quite a bit of things planned in the future, building my own PC isn't one... HOW EVER, my girlfriend is a gamer, knows stuff about pc's, and can build her own one. She was going to originally build me one now and send it to me but by the time she can do it properly and be here it may be out of date already. that and also the power plugs are vastly different from country to country, NZ got no round rod like part and USA has the 2 plate parts straight, etc.

so we can't even plug it in, even if we can the power outputs from US to NZ socket may be different and may not be efficient for the PC or what ever. to many variables.

So that's why she's planning to get me a PC once she's here.

MEANWHILE you got a game like Space Engineers where you can build your own stuff easierly and do not have to suffer through the issues of an MMO like premium and stuff like that on the other guys hands (knowing SC I doubt it would be that bad, but people will complain things are Pay to Win even if the only literal thing you can buy is more colors to paint your ship, I am sick of that kind of talk).

Well since you're going to Star Citizen, please tell me how the weapons are like in detail, systems / things you can do, etc. I may not play it soon, but I once waited 12 years till I can run a game (technically, became also free on PC as a flash (that's how old it can be... it can be done in a modern flash)). I do have patience when It comes to things like these.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.