How often are games lost to terrible luck?

General discussion about the game.
Vexov

Re: How often are games lost to terrible luck?

Postby Vexov » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:27 am

I could walk through a game nearly, and lose to due to finding not enough firepower... well it really ends in a draw that i need to shut my shields off or the game would never end with the end-boss.
Kolkko

Postby Kolkko » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:52 pm

Depends on the ship. I believe some ships are near 100% win with perfect play. On the other hand something like DA-SR 12 can often get impossible scenarios.
WilliamAntares

Postby WilliamAntares » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:28 am

I'd like to see a collection of real time video's from people who claim 100% (or near) play through successes on normal :roll: . I started on normal and got to the end boss on my second play through only to be completely destroyed by the second round of fire. I haven't gotten close on any other play through due to the randomness of the game. My past three losses:

2x due to solar flare fights where the first flares lit in 6-8 squares in 3-4 rooms coupled by first wave of enemy fire completely destroying my engines and cockpit.
1x no stores or repair events available in flight paths after first section of game = slow eventual death in section 4 :(

I'm sure if I sat and played another (roll 1-100) rounds of FTL my statistic of reaching/defeating end boss would become >1 but after playing for 30~ minutes or so and winding up with an ending like above I typically switch to another game/source of entertainment.

Anyways, for my low # of play through random event luck probably accounts for 7-8/10 of my losses. (This is including bad luck for random events & stores not selling anything useful for that current play through) I'm willing to bet this is probably what causes most players to lose on a play through after the learning curve is set (or they look up the standard completion strategies).
Kolkko

Postby Kolkko » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:38 pm

For solar flare fights it helps to vent most of the ship right away. Any fires will go out pretty fast.

It's very unlikely to miss all shops for an entire sector if you choose your path wisely. You can usually check (go next to) almost every beacon.

It's easy to get in a vicious cycle of spending all scrap to repairs. Defense is the best defense in this game. Shields up!

Some ships need luck to find equipment, but some don't. For example The Basilisk (Mantis B) is has almost everything from the start. Just need to find more crew and any weapon or attack drone to take out zoltan shields. It can happen that you don't find those, but the probability must be very low.