Redtail (kestrel B) is by far the best ship

General discussion about the game.
madattak9
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:27 pm

Redtail (kestrel B) is by far the best ship

Postby madattak9 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:57 pm

After 110 games with only one victory on easy, and only 2 or 3 ships actually making it to sector 8 on normal, I took my new Redtail out for a spin on normal. At sector 2 I got a Burst laser MkII. After that I stormed through all the sectors, barley took any damage, and annihilated the boss with only 3 damage taken, without ever upgrading my weapons or changing weapons after sector 2.

2 and 3rd games got to Sector 6.

4th games killed the boss again, but with only 1 health remaining.


Now, considering the closest I got to killing the boss before on normal was the Torus and got past boss level 2 then let the federation base get destroyed by it because I needed repairs and drones, 2 victories with that ship out of 4 is enough proof to say it's the best ship.
OnyxShadow
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Redtail (kestrel B) is by far the best ship

Postby OnyxShadow » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:01 pm

Its definitely a nice ship with the strong weapon system on a "complete" ship. However, I think most people will argue that mantis B or crystal B is better...at least arguably. I would say there is no "by far" strongest ship.
BKT
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:17 am

Re: Redtail (kestrel B) is by far the best ship

Postby BKT » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:14 am

Redtail and Torus are the only ship you have some success with? ... That's a prime symptom of not beefed up your ship defense enough in the early sector, like 2 Shield and a few engines early on.
Kalir
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:56 am

Re: Redtail (kestrel B) is by far the best ship

Postby Kalir » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:22 am

Red-Tail makes the early game easier at the expense of the late game being harder, which really isn't the way you want to go.
omegaai
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:31 am

Re: Redtail (kestrel B) is by far the best ship

Postby omegaai » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:59 am

Kalir wrote:Red-Tail makes the early game easier at the expense of the late game being harder, which really isn't the way you want to go.


Not exactly. If you use the advantage from early game it will carry over to late game.
omegaai
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:31 am

Re: Redtail (kestrel B) is by far the best ship

Postby omegaai » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:01 am

madattak9 wrote:After 110 games with only one victory on easy, and only 2 or 3 ships actually making it to sector 8 on normal, I took my new Redtail out for a spin on normal. At sector 2 I got a Burst laser MkII. After that I stormed through all the sectors, barley took any damage, and annihilated the boss with only 3 damage taken, without ever upgrading my weapons or changing weapons after sector 2.

2 and 3rd games got to Sector 6.

4th games killed the boss again, but with only 1 health remaining.


Now, considering the closest I got to killing the boss before on normal was the Torus and got past boss level 2 then let the federation base get destroyed by it because I needed repairs and drones, 2 victories with that ship out of 4 is enough proof to say it's the best ship.


Based on your successful games it seems you might want to look into boarding strategies, cloaking and defensive tactics.
BKT
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:17 am

Re: Redtail (kestrel B) is by far the best ship

Postby BKT » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:27 am

omegaai wrote:Not exactly. If you use the advantage from early game it will carry over to late game.


For ships that do not excelled at early game but not inherently luck-based, like the Fed Cruiser_A for instance, players can use good gameplan and strategy to overcome their weakness in early game.

On the other hand, the only way to overcome the weakness of the ships with strong early game (unless you resorting to boarding), particularly the Red Tail, is to hope that the RNG goddess smiles upon you and give you her blessings; and despite how many times you pray or beg to her, she can be so cruel at times... :cry:
ExtraCheesyPie
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:37 pm

Re: Redtail (kestrel B) is by far the best ship

Postby ExtraCheesyPie » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:11 pm

Zoltan B is only for bosses
I hate FTL...

But I love it at the same time...
aqueous12
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:17 pm

Re: Redtail (kestrel B) is by far the best ship

Postby aqueous12 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:25 pm

ExtraCheesyPie wrote:Zoltan B is only for bosses


Ooh I can't wait to unlock Zoltan B. I just recently unlocked Zoltan A and it is amazing. The first achievement for it was so easy, probably the easiest achievement in the game. But the other two seem tough, not sure which one I'm gonna go for. One requires you to get to the late late game (I believe with at least 4 Zoltan crew members) and the other seems like it'd be best if you try a pacifist run. Hmmm.
UltraMantis
Posts: 2141
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:17 pm

Re: Redtail (kestrel B) is by far the best ship

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:04 pm

29 power? That's a hard one... Manpower would be easier to get, since you are free to upgrade the ship but not the reactor. You have to reroute power a lot but you can get away with it. Explore and fight a LOT in sectors 1 and 2, then be cautious in 3 and 4, and pump everything you have into engines to run away if you have to.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests