"The game hates me!" Bullshit Death Discussion thread.

General discussion about the game.
stylesrj

Re: "The game hates me!" Bullshit Death Discussion thread.

Postby stylesrj » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:22 am

Now that's bad luck to encounter such a ship (although judging by the fact it had two defensive drones, it sounds like an Engi ship) but well... that's sort of what happens when you rely on a single weapon to break enemy shields. I've had bad runs where all I had to break enemy shields was a Chain Vulcan and the enemy's drone could shoot down each and every shot.

So think of that as a lesson. It's not the quality of the shots, it's how many you can deliver in a short amount of time.
TheDreadedPirateTuco

Postby TheDreadedPirateTuco » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:20 pm

MrSalt wrote:So, I'm playing the Zoltan ship and I had pretty much a perfect run. I had four zoltans powering my shields, weapons, engine and drones, and four mantis manning the navigation and sensors + 2/man boarding crew. I had two Defence Drones MkII (unpowered), two Burst Laser MkIII (unpowered), two halberd beams and an Ion Blast MkII (one halberd was unpowered, but when the shields were down/damaged I could replace the ion blast with a double beam slice).

That was all icing, though b/c the boarding crew really got me most of all my gear. This was all at the mid-game mark. Lots of gear, not enough scrap to upgrade everything, though (which is why my drones were unpowered), so my transporter wasn't fully upgraded.

Met a 3-shield enemy w/ two defence drones (one a MkII) that just shot down all my ion blasts, so my halberds were useless. Looking at the crew, they looked pretty easy to beat but I was...wrong. My first boarding crew got fucking wrecked. I don't know if they killed anybody, but my teleporter was still recharging when I needed them back NOW. Too late, they died. The enemy was lucky-fuckies and they took out my weapons, shields and engines, so basically I had to send in my second boarding crew. They also died extremely quickly and extremely ineffectually. And then I died.

This all happened in the space of less than a minute. Just, running with a perfect weapons/drone/boarding crew (not enough system power, yet, though) and suddenly one triple-shield enemy w/ amazing weapons/drones and a crew on steroids killed everyone and blew up my ship. I was so disappointed, I thought this was my run.

Why didn't you power one of the BL 3s instead of halberd? BL3 and ion blast MK 2 should break dem shields. If ur lucky, a shot hits drone control for you. If not, rinse and repeat. (Yes i know you only have 1. You had an ion blast and both halberds for double beam slice, so you had one bL3.)

WHAT WEAPONS DID THEY EVEN HAVE?!
Also when my crew gets hurt while boarding i run them around the enemy ship, taking minimal dmg.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:49 pm

Some people tend to gravitate towards one weapon doing all the shield work while waiting for that beam strike.
That kind of strategy is a trap. Two Halberds/Glaives look really cool and are highly effective once the enemy's shields are down but there are times where you just need to switch your tactics and use weapons you otherwise never thought of using.

I'm still wondering what kind of ship MrSalt was facing down. I'm guessing it was a Rebel Rigger (although I wouldn't say that's "Easy to beat." Do pirate ships even get Defence Drones? I'm played too much Captain's Edition that I can't remember) or an Engi ship with a large crew (which even a two-Mantis boarding party would have trouble killing as they cycle their damaged Engies out, not to mention the medbots and if they have an upgraded medbay, they can constantly swap the crew around)
TheDreadedPirateTuco

Postby TheDreadedPirateTuco » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:41 am

there were 4 spaces for weapons. The 4th is a bl3, as the other 3 are the double halberds and the ion weapon.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:27 am

Like I said, don't rely on a single-shot weapon like the Ion III for everything. That leads to failure.
You can rely on a single weapon provided it has multiple shots.