Unlocking ships guide [Spoilers] [In progress]

General discussion about the game.
Sero

Unlocking ships guide [Spoilers] [In progress]

Postby Sero » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:47 am

So, a suggestion was made in the 'Anyone unlocked all the ships' thread that someone should make a post with all this information collected in one place, and I thought, 'Hey! I'm someone! I meet all the qualifications!'.

So, here's where I'm going to collect everything I know. I don't have all the ships unlocked, and it's been a while since I first unlocked some of them, so please help me fill in the gaps, and I'll edit this post:

Stealth Cruiser: [In progress-This was a while ago, so if anyone can confirm this is still true, thanks] In the Engi home sector [Was the starting node marked as having a ship at it, or not, on long range sensors?], you will run into the start event. You must [confirm?] have an Engi crew member, and use the blue option to have it contact them. At which point, you will be given two quest markers. One of them is a decoy, and you can't tell which, however, if you stumble upon the real one first you don't need to bother with the decoy. The quest marker will lead you to a fight with a rebel ship, which you must damage until they offer to surrender and give you the information you're after. You have a choice to finish them off or just jump away at that point, which does not affect the quest reward [confirm?]. You then jump to the final quest point to complete the mission and unlock the ship. [Anyone recall whether there's a final fight or is just turn up and get the reward?]

Engi Cruiser: Reach sector 5, using any ship.

Federation Cruiser: Beat the game, using any ship.

Mantis ship: In the Mantis homeworlds, you will encounter a combat event [I believe it's marked as a ship present on long range sensors], where a vessel is described as being notorious and looking unusual (battle scars, extra armor, I don't remember). You will require [Confirmation this is still true?] a mantis crewmember, a teleporter, and a level 2 medbay. You will fight the enemy ship, and you must defeat it by killing it's crew, if you destroy the ship you'll get a message about a mystery going unsolved. Once you exterminate the crew, you'll get a blue option about checking for survivors. Do so. You will then get an option about saving the captain with your medbay. Do so. Finally, your mantis crew member will get a blue option to convince him to assist you. [Does anyone recall if you have to check the quest point you get from doing this for the ship? I know you have to, to loot his cache, but I do not recall when you unlock the ship.]

Zoltan Vessel: In the Zoltan homeworlds, you will encounter an event [I -believe- it isn't marked as a ship on Long Range Sensors. Confirm?] where you have a choice to fight or talk to a Zoltan vessel that is a peace envoy. You require nothing to complete this, it is all dialog choices. They will give you a quest marker, go to it. You must choose diplomatic options when speaking to the rebel ship. 'Perhaps there is some way we can reconcile our differences' [Get exact text for these?], and then 'True progress can only be achieved without bloodshed.' The fight will be avoided, the Zoltan turn up, give you a reward, and you unlock the ship.

Slug Crusier: Ain't got a clue. Sorry.
Gorlom

Re: Unlocking ships guide [Spoilers] [In progress]

Postby Gorlom » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:56 am

Slug cruiser: Beat a ship into submission and accept their surrender for whatever is in its hold (don't teleport over and kill all crew). Any slug cruiser *MIGHT* contain a bio beam weapon prototype. If it contains a bio weapon you can instead of taking the prototype ask where it is headed. This will put a quest marker on your map (possibly in the next sector)
After reaching the quest marker you will spot a ship that you need to follow. 2 normal options, 1 blue involving sensors mk2 or long range sensors (not sure which) and 1 blue involving a slug crewmember (I only recall taking the slug one so I'm not sure about the others)
Eventually you ill find a location with 3 ships. 1 ports away immediately. as the second ship powers up it's FTL you notice that the FTL on the Prototype ship powers up at the same time. Quest text tells you they are linked and that you must destroy the engine of the ship you get to fight. Kill it for the cruiser.
Sero

Postby Sero » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:57 pm

Gorlom, are you saying ANY slug ship (presumably in the Slug home sector) can be the trigger for the Slug ship unlock quest?
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:05 pm

Oh right yeah, needs to be in the home sector. I don't really know, any of the ships that offers you whatever they have in their hold I assume. I beat 6-7 identical ships on my pass through that sector and the last one had the bio beam weapon. So afaik there is no way to know which ship has it.
TenLetters

Postby TenLetters » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:17 am

I posted this in the other thread, but I'll post it here, too.

Rock Ship:

>Rock Sector (Red)
>Normal Node (no nebula, no distress, nothin'. Did not have Long Range Sensors to tell anything else)
>Given a 3 choice option when asked "You're that Federation ship, you really think you'll make it..." yatta yatta. Choose: "I"ll make it or die trying" sort of option, which is option 1.
>Quest marker. Go to it.
>It's a Star node. Your goal is to let the enemy ship FTL out, and then you must FTL out. They will fire, so you can disable their weapons, but be sure to let them escape.
>A quest marker is added in the next sector, so go there and get the ship. Very easy, requires nothing special as far as I could tell.
TenLetters

Postby TenLetters » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:37 am

Gorlom wrote:Slug cruiser: Beat a ship into submission and accept their surrender for whatever is in its hold (don't teleport over and kill all crew). Any slug cruiser *MIGHT* contain a bio beam weapon prototype. If it contains a bio weapon you can instead of taking the prototype ask where it is headed. This will put a quest marker on your map (possibly in the next sector)
After reaching the quest marker you will spot a ship that you need to follow. 2 normal options, 1 blue involving sensors mk2 or long range sensors (not sure which) and 1 blue involving a slug crewmember (I only recall taking the slug one so I'm not sure about the others)
Eventually you ill find a location with 3 ships. 1 ports away immediately. as the second ship powers up it's FTL you notice that the FTL on the Prototype ship powers up at the same time. Quest text tells you they are linked and that you must destroy the engine of the ship you get to fight. Kill it for the cruiser.

The Sensor option works as well. Just unlocked the ship using the blue Sensors option. My Sensors were level 3, but if the option showed up at 2 it probably works with just that.