[Suggestion] Finish non combat wait states during Jump trave

General discussion about the game.
NomadWanderer

[Suggestion] Finish non combat wait states during Jump trave

Postby NomadWanderer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:33 pm

Use cases:
I have a rock crew Weapons officer on a ship where the med bay is not near the weapons console. He got hurt in a failed enemy intrusion. I walk him to the medbay, he heals, I walk him to the weapons console.

It turns out, If I jump BEFORE he finishes walking, he won't be there when combat begins in the next sector.

The same applies to EMP stuns, and repair.

In a non combat situation (not asteroid field, not flare, etc), can't the game ASSUME you will repair everything/heal everyone before jumping to the next sector? What reason/logic is there for making the player wait/sit there and watch a clock wind down, before you get back in and continue playing?

I do NOT believe any sort of assist should be present for dealing with FIREs, or any sort of combat situation.. Again I'm only talking about scenarios where combat/events is done, and there IS NO POSSIBILITY of more DMG pre-jump. At that point...
angelocire

Re: [Suggestion] Finish non combat wait states during Jump t

Postby angelocire » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:45 pm

I think it's because the jumps are instantaneous. The game isn't supposed to have any time where events are happening but you don't see it.
NomadWanderer

Postby NomadWanderer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:59 pm

I'm just saying, waiting for your crew to slowly repair 3 modules, when there is ZERO chance of any further damage, and THEN jumping, vs. just jumping..

They are the same situation. Which is better game play?
SVD997

Postby SVD997 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:12 pm

I agree with you Nomad, I just think it may be too complicated. Justin has said multiple times that he wants to avoid automating too many things. I think another viable solution may be a fast forward button that speeds up time. Therefore, if you have 4 or 5 crew fixing various parts of the ship, and nothing is going to hurt them, fast forward would allow you to get that done faster without the risk of automating anything. I would love to see a fast forward button for other things as well, and this is just one instance that would make things easier without taking away from the spirit of the game.
temporal

Postby temporal » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:55 pm

Fast forward button would be great
+1
Muramas

Postby Muramas » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:57 pm

There is a reason the mode of transportation is "Faster than Light" meaning you click button and you are there.
Agamo

Postby Agamo » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:34 pm

Muramas wrote:There is a reason the mode of transportation is "Faster than Light" meaning you click button and you are there.

The term "Faster than Light" does not necessarily imply instantaneous travel. It just says that you're going faster than the speed of light, which itself does not travel instantaneously.
timaeus

Postby timaeus » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:51 pm

Yeah, big difference between 1.1 light speed and 10x light speed. Either one is technically 'FTL'.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:37 am

Technically that would depend on the mode of travel right? If you "cheat" by using warp drive like in startrek or hyperspace time still passes for the passengers. However if you physically exceed the relative light speed you would not be able to experience any time passing while in transit (... unless I've misunderstood something :P

As I understand though the ships in FTL uses neither method?
ThePsuedoMonkey

Postby ThePsuedoMonkey » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:28 am

Doesn't it use a "jump" FTL, like they do in BSG or like the Infinite Improbability Drive?