laptop mode

General discussion about the game.
aepurniet

laptop mode

Postby aepurniet » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:59 pm

when i play on my laptop, i notice that the processor and my GFX card are both pegged and working at max capacity. it would be nice to have a laptop mode that has a maximal framerate. that way my laptop wouldnt drain its batteries instantaneously and it wouldnt burn my lap like a hot poker.

a lot of games do this, most of which are way more graphically intensive. all it would require would be an optional wait method in the main loop, in order to match the max framerate.

otherwise the beta is super fun, and the game concept and design is top notch. keep up the good work.
ThePsuedoMonkey

Re: laptop mode

Postby ThePsuedoMonkey » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:35 pm

Your graphics driver can't set a framerate limit? You can probably set the refresh rate of your display to 24hz, and that should take care of it.
aviphysics

Postby aviphysics » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:55 am

You should be able to set Vsync in the graphics driver settings if you have an AMD or Nvidia GPU. Don't know if the Intel IGP lets you do this.

Personally, my laptop has not had the same problem as yours.
aepurniet

Postby aepurniet » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:45 pm

ThePsuedoMonkey wrote:Your graphics driver can't set a framerate limit? You can probably set the refresh rate of your display to 24hz, and that should take care of it.

that only works if vsync is on.

aviphysics wrote:You should be able to set Vsync in the graphics driver settings if you have an AMD or Nvidia GPU. Don't know if the Intel IGP lets you do this.

sony vaio's have their own drivers for my GFX card, they dont use the standard ones from nvidia. and i have very little options as far as which settings are available, i can just change the resolution and output screen (basically). dont buy vaio's for this reason.
aviphysics

Postby aviphysics » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:07 pm

Have you tried using Nvidia's drivers?

If you haven't, then at least look around to see if other people have been able to use them.