scary system req's for netbook users?

General discussion about the game.
xmorg

scary system req's for netbook users?

Postby xmorg » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:56 pm

The system requirements for this game initially gave me pause, and I did not buy it on release.

I was away from my computer for a few months and only had my netbook. The system reqs said 2Ghz cpu, opengl 2.0, etcetc, and a resolution much higher than my screen.

However when i returned home i finally bought the game and found out that if you set it to Fullscreen/Strech, it is fully playable on a 1024x600 netbook screen wtih an intel atom 1.6ghz, and 2gb ram, with a "superlame" intel integrated card. So the system req's are exaggeratedly high?

So im wondering if over exaggerating the minimum system requirments may be hurting sales? (especially for people with laptops) In my case, I would have bought it much sooner had I known it were possible to play on a Acer netbook hehe. A lot of indie games, especially on humble bundle end up being too much for a netbook but this one was done right, yet, the website may scare off some users :)

Acer Aspire One, 1.6ghz, 2gb ram(upgraded from 1), Fedora linux (using linux version)
THEBANDIT240

Re: scary system req's for netbook users?

Postby THEBANDIT240 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:48 pm

Same thing happened to me although I mainly bought it for my desktop I could use it on my netbook. My netbook also didn't meet the system reqs but it runs smoothly just has a large load time. Also even full screen stretch doesn't work for me so I have to use infinite screen to pan although it's no big deal.
I love FTL
Try out this awesome mod Infinte Space! -
http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&p=23012#p23012
Cactuschef

Postby Cactuschef » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:15 pm

unfortunately running windows on the same netbook, fullscreen doesn't work. it also stutters like hell during combat. i've gotten around both these issues with various utilities, but i think the system reqs are pretty much accurate for "install it and go" on windows at least
boa13

Postby boa13 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:36 pm

Note that the game has received several patches, aimed notably at improving compatibility with "less able" gaming platforms, including netbooks. It was truly worse at the beginning.

Still today, it's a bit of a gamble, depending notably on the graphic card in use and the quality of its drivers.

While many less powerful computers can run the game, the dev team cannot say they all do, so they cannot say they support them.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
Tal

Postby Tal » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:57 am

I have an old laptop with integrated graphics (probably comparable to modern netbooks), and while it runs well, it does sometimes crash, which obviously sucks (because there's no save).
ThePsuedoMonkey

Postby ThePsuedoMonkey » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:18 pm

I'm sure those numbers were meant for the Windows version. My laptop (Dual-core Turion 2.2ghz, dedicated ATI 3850) can't always play it full speed while using my Win7 boot.