How Do Things Stack (Question)

General discussion about the game.
TenLetters

Re: How Do Things Stack (Question)

Postby TenLetters » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:39 pm

ThePsuedoMonkey wrote:As far as I know, the way that everyone codes percentage modifiers is by multiplication (as that is inherently what percentages are). In that case they would stack by multiplication as well. Adding percentage modifiers is not only a roundabout way to get a result, but it also doesn't make much sense either. I hate to be the one to say it, but it seems unlikely that there's an exploit there.

Either way it's done there's no exploit. It's not like someone can magically get 100% negation or something. With the limited number of slots, it would make sense either way. It's more transparent if it's additive, but it would be just as easy to see a "Ship stat" page that includes things like hull damage negation and shield recharge rate. Then again, I understand if the developers don't want the game to be too numbery or transparent, it's just how I feel about the game.

But either way, knowledge is important. Knowing if my third Reinforced Plating is giving me 15% or 9.5% dodge may make me reconsider, and maybe get a different augment.
TenLetters

Postby TenLetters » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:56 pm

TenLetters wrote:
VladePsyker wrote:heh more important question is does it really matter ? it's not like you can reliably get two of the same mods on a regular basis ;)

I currently have Advanced Hull Plating, Reinforced Hull Plating, and another Reinforced Hull Plating. The difference between 55% hull damage negation and 45.8% is pretty significant.

As the Stealth ship, I regularly find at least one reinforced hull plating. This time I got lucky, but I assume I'll get lucky even more times in the future.

Also, does anyone know what gold ranked pilot does? Gold ranked engine gives +5% dodge, but I can't tell what pilot does. Maybe the rate FTL charges at.

I just found ANOTHER Reinforced Hull Plating on the same game, so yes, this is important.
ColOfNature

Postby ColOfNature » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:33 am

Tangentially related: does having more than one crew member in a room boost the effectiveness? i.e. would 2 guys in my shield room be more effective than just one?
...common and uninteresting.
TenLetters

Postby TenLetters » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:56 am

Only one person is manning the station. It's easiest to tell on the engine, and it doesn't. Although I've never had two yellow engine guys, so I guess I can't know for sure, but no, it does not.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:20 am

ColOfNature wrote:Tangentially related: does having more than one crew member in a room boost the effectiveness? i.e. would 2 guys in my shield room be more effective than just one?

Only one gets experience so I wouldn't think so.
VladePsyker

Postby VladePsyker » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:29 am

TenLetters wrote:
TenLetters wrote:
VladePsyker wrote:heh more important question is does it really matter ? it's not like you can reliably get two of the same mods on a regular basis ;)

I currently have Advanced Hull Plating, Reinforced Hull Plating, and another Reinforced Hull Plating. The difference between 55% hull damage negation and 45.8% is pretty significant.

As the Stealth ship, I regularly find at least one reinforced hull plating. This time I got lucky, but I assume I'll get lucky even more times in the future.

Also, does anyone know what gold ranked pilot does? Gold ranked engine gives +5% dodge, but I can't tell what pilot does. Maybe the rate FTL charges at.

I just found ANOTHER Reinforced Hull Plating on the same game, so yes, this is important.

I'd venture in your average game a 9.2% difference will not have enough of a sample size to adequately play out to your advantage.

nothing against you wanting to find out, I just don't think the sample size of shots on hull will be big enough for such a percentage to matter.

I mean how much hull damage do you take during a game ?

At a guess I'd be repairing maybe 30 hull total over the length of a game maybe a bit more depending on how you play. assuming you take at least another 20 in the final battle that 50 hull dmg that could be negated, so your talking 4-5 hull dmg difference assuming you had 2 hull mods in sector 1 which is unlikely so maybe 3 hull difference , would that difference really make you rethink stacking hull mods ?
Nori

Postby Nori » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:20 pm

@VladePsyker: Very true and I would think given his stealthy nature he would want a different augment like firing while cloaked...
DocGratis

Postby DocGratis » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:44 pm

Gorlom wrote:
ColOfNature wrote:Tangentially related: does having more than one crew member in a room boost the effectiveness? i.e. would 2 guys in my shield room be more effective than just one?

Only one gets experience so I wouldn't think so.

I desperately want them to allow crewmen to gain XP at "second station".

I don't expect or want them to boost effectiveness, but just the XP gain would be great.
Weapons Officer "Aww do we really NEED 02 and Medbay? I want more weapon power"
Shields and Engine Officers "Yeah we want more power!"

Pilot (aka Captain) "Will you babies get back to work!"
TenLetters

Postby TenLetters » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:45 am

It's mostly the principle of it, but yes, it would change what I get. I mean, you're talking about hull damage, but what if I was stacking reload speed instead. That's always good, but maybe the 33% drop in efficiency of the last upgrade isn't what I deem good enough to warrant over another augment.
Nox

Postby Nox » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:30 am

I know that two salvage arms stack. I couldn't quite workout if it was a 130% or 132.25% bonus (the latter implying a compound bonus)
--

No good deed goes unpunished.