How Do Things Stack (Question)

General discussion about the game.
TenLetters

How Do Things Stack (Question)

Postby TenLetters » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:48 pm

Hey,

Was wondering if anyone knew how things interacted in this game.

For instance, let's say you have Advanced Hull Plating and Reinforced Hull Plating, which give 25% and 15% chance to avoid hull damage. Are these multiplicative or additive? As in, does the game just say "Well, you got obviously 40% chance to avoid damage," or does it check against the first and then the second (meaning it'd check if the first resisted, and if it did not then check if the second resisted, giving you only about 36% chance to avoid damage). It's not that big of a deal (only a few percentage points), but it's still something I want to consider with how I spend my scrap (getting an 11% vs. 15% increase is pretty significant).

Same question with stacking Automatic Reloaders, and how that interacts with a leveled up Gold Weapon guy. And shields, and anything else that interacts like that.
temporal

Re: How Do Things Stack (Question)

Postby temporal » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:21 pm

Also curious about this after finding 2 hull plating mods the other day...

Maybe have a pane where we can see the ship's total bonuses?

Bump.
joshuabees

Postby joshuabees » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:23 pm

Can we get an official(ish) answer on stacking bonuses? As presented above, Hull Plating, but also stuff like Automated Re-Loaders and Scrap Recovery Arms?
Nori

Postby Nori » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 pm

I'd be curious as well... Can we fit three weapon reloaders and get a 45% bonus?
Mattman243

Postby Mattman243 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:33 pm

Just to answer from experience, I outfitted my ship with two weapon reloaders and it was easily 30% faster reload speed. I do believe these upgrades stack.
DocGratis

Postby DocGratis » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:40 pm

Mattman243 wrote:Just to answer from experience, I outfitted my ship with two weapon reloaders and it was easily 30% faster reload speed. I do believe these upgrades stack.

But was it 30% faster or was it 28.25% faster? (which is what the OP was asking) I know it would be hard to tell the difference in game play :twisted: :lol:
Weapons Officer "Aww do we really NEED 02 and Medbay? I want more weapon power"
Shields and Engine Officers "Yeah we want more power!"

Pilot (aka Captain) "Will you babies get back to work!"
VladePsyker

Postby VladePsyker » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:22 pm

DocGratis wrote:
Mattman243 wrote:Just to answer from experience, I outfitted my ship with two weapon reloaders and it was easily 30% faster reload speed. I do believe these upgrades stack.

But was it 30% faster or was it 28.25% faster? (which is what the OP was asking) I know it would be hard to tell the difference in game play :twisted: :lol:

heh more important question is does it really matter ? it's not like you can reliably get two of the same mods on a regular basis ;)
Nori

Postby Nori » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:31 pm

VladePsyker wrote:
DocGratis wrote:

heh more important question is does it really matter ? it's not like you can reliably get two of the same mods on a regular basis ;)

Hmm, I think you could. There is a lot of stores in the game and I've often seen the same augmentation over and over in the same playthrough... The weapon aug is nice too because it is so cheap. I could see wanting two of those. :)
ThePsuedoMonkey

Postby ThePsuedoMonkey » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:56 pm

As far as I know, the way that everyone codes percentage modifiers is by multiplication (as that is inherently what percentages are). In that case they would stack by multiplication as well. Adding percentage modifiers is not only a roundabout way to get a result, but it also doesn't make much sense either. I hate to be the one to say it, but it seems unlikely that there's an exploit there.
TenLetters

Postby TenLetters » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:36 pm

VladePsyker wrote:
DocGratis wrote:

I currently have Advanced Hull Plating, Reinforced Hull Plating, and another Reinforced Hull Plating. The difference between 55% hull damage negation and 45.8% is pretty significant.

As the Stealth ship, I regularly find at least one reinforced hull plating. This time I got lucky, but I assume I'll get lucky even more times in the future.

Also, does anyone know what gold ranked pilot does? Gold ranked engine gives +5% dodge, but I can't tell what pilot does. Maybe the rate FTL charges at.