Mantis Ship... [Spoilers]

General discussion about the game.
Able_Baker

Mantis Ship... [Spoilers]

Postby Able_Baker » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:17 pm

[BIG SPOILER]

I was so excited when i unlocked it I ended my current run just to take a look and......it sucks

http://i.imgur.com/UKgPil.jpg

It starts with 2 weapons (out of only 3 and only 1 weapons upgrade) and it doesn't start with a sensor with only 7 starting power. Sure it starts with a Teleporter (<3) but it could be easily picked up for 90scrap on any other ship.

However, it does start with 3 Mantis crew and an Eni which is amazing and a 25% move speed augment. I just dont think it off sets its terribleness compared to the other ships. I'm thinking maybe if the teleporter was in a 2x2 room (or just 2 teleporters for that matter) it would make ship slightly worth taking. otherwise i guess you could just add another weapon slot or more system upgrades.
DeltaOmega

Re: Mantis Ship... [Spoilers]

Postby DeltaOmega » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:37 pm

yeah, the quest ships also do not have enough slots for weapons and drones.
aviphysics

Postby aviphysics » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:46 pm

But you start with a teleporter and mantis crew at least. That combine with a few well placed bombs could be pretty effective.
TenLetters

Postby TenLetters » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:14 pm

Ship Spoilers, obviously.

I do think the Mantis ship is the worst. It has a pretty mediocre layout and its starting weapons aren't so hot. Likewise, its special augment isn't that great (I don't value movement speed very high). Starting with 3 mantis is cool, but until you get a rank 3 teleporter it's not really feasible to teleport more than two things, so the third mantis is mostly a detriment.

That said, I think the other ships are all good. The Stealth ship you get from the engi quests is pretty solid (I initially hated it). It has two solid weapons and the hull augment is amazing. If you can get through the first couple zones and get a good weapon drop/purchase I think it's very strong. Basically, as long as you can get through shields for your mini laser you're going to make short work of everything (I haven't run into a ship the laser doesn't do 3 damage to, and against some you can even get 4). Running into asteroid fields or ships that hack your engines are pretty deadly. With your normal 25% evade and the 25% advanced hull plating you have a about a .44 chance to avoid any damage. That's pretty great, and this ship is one of the few that'll easily let you rank up your captain/engine guy quickly.

The Kestral and the Federation Cruiser are pretty similar, but I think the Federation ship is just better. It has great starting weapons, good ship layout (good med bay location, lots of air hatches), and a great crew.

I think I like the Engi ship the most, though. It plays very different from the others, and I like its style. I like playing defensive and relying on only my one stupid anti-ship drone to do all the work. The ship layout could be better, but it's not bad.
AJTilley

Postby AJTilley » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:21 pm

The thing to remember is the extra ships are not designed to make the game easier they are designed so that if you use them you are forced to consider playing the game in a completely different way to the other ships.

They aren't meant to be super powerful etc.
TenLetters

Postby TenLetters » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:43 pm

They're not supposed to be weak, either. They're supposed to be side grades that have unique play style. I feel like the Stealth and Engi ship work great with this, but the Federation Cruiser feels like a direct upgrade to the Kestral and the Mantis seems relatively weak.