When is the beta coming?

General discussion about the game.
Digital

Re: When is the beta coming?

Postby Digital » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:15 pm

Muramas wrote:I don't understand the point of holding back the beta, you should just take a "minecraft" approach to it and release the beta or alpha and keep adding to it as you get time. People would love the game in its current state and you can take your time to constantly update on it.

Would they still love it as the months roll by though? We have fairly limited attention spans now days, and we have a set number of players in the demo due to the kickstarter (unlike minecraft). Additionally, this game isn't a building game... though things are randomized for each mission, you're not going to have someone building a calculator out of the game. Things in Minecraft added exponential amounts of content with a single mechanic... the pistons mod (which finally ended up in the game itself) for example added countless totally new functions to the game, though it was such a simple change. In a game like this, an equal amount of content would require a new storyline.

Add to that the fact that as months go by, would a shrinking set of beta voices focused on the project still be giving good advice for the whole of the project, and not their own biases. A focused community member intent on getting 'x' feature they like in, even though it isn't good for the game overall would have an increasingly 'loud' voice as fewer people played....

*shrug*

Or not... I just woke up and my breakfast is ready, I'll leave the dazed rant there.
Orv

Postby Orv » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:24 pm

Chief wrote:Stelly has the right idea, I think. A beta release ought to be stable, and pretty close to feature complete. That's what was promised, and that's what I signed up for when I pledged to be a beta tester. I actually want to help with bug testing, but not in an alpha environment.

I would like to point out, perhaps for the thousandth weary time in the last few years, that this is what a beta test is. It's a test. It's not a demo, it's not "decide whether you want to play the game or not" (a symptom many MMOs suffer from these days), it's testing.

It's a moot point really, since Subset have stated they want the game to be fairly playable before we touch it, and I can't fault them for that. That said, I do really wish people would stop having foolish expectations as to betas. But I suppose it's a few years late for that crusade.

TL;DR - Beta will come, be patient.
Shadowstep

Postby Shadowstep » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:35 pm

Sadly, the Alpha/Beta/RC/Release wars are long over and the lines between the four are completely blurred.

From what I can tell, the developers want to go with the classic closed beta approach - have all the core code and functionality there and sort out the obvious bugs, and then have players report when they find bugs. While it means waiting longer for a game that I'm chomping at the bit to play, I'm okay with this.

And honestly, comparing to Minecraft isn't a fair comparison - partly because Mojang completely ignored the software development meanings of alpha/beta/RC/Release and partly because the core of the game hasn't changed - it's just been minor tweaks to the gameplay experience. Here, we've got a two person team who has to make sure that all of the stuff under the hood is working right before they can focus on building the rest of the game out, because if the code isn't right, it'll be a tougher change down the line.

So, June 1 (ish)....I can live with that. If only Steam weren't so anal about only making the PC versions of dual-release games available... grrr....
Shadowstep

Postby Shadowstep » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:36 pm

Shadowstep wrote:So, June 1 (ish)....I can live with that. If only Steam weren't so anal about only making the PC versions of dual-release games available... grrr....

Err - clarification. That's in reference to having other playing options in the meantime.
Orv

Postby Orv » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:40 pm

Shadowstep wrote:
Shadowstep wrote:So, June 1 (ish)....I can live with that. If only Steam weren't so anal about only making the PC versions of dual-release games available... grrr....

Err - clarification. That's in reference to having other playing options in the meantime.

There is an Edit button. ;)
Stelly

Postby Stelly » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:42 pm

Shadowstep wrote:

erm, nope still dont get it, dual-release?? :?:

Stelly
veryalien

Postby veryalien » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:46 pm

I appreciate busy, and not wanting to release a broken demo.

However, I'd like to point out we paid $25, which is over the original $15 for beta access. It would be a good idea to release early so people don't feel like the extra money went to naught.
Stelly

Postby Stelly » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:48 pm

veryalien wrote:I appreciate busy, and not wanting to release a broken demo.

However, I'd like to point out we paid $25, which is over the original $15 for beta access. It would be a good idea to release early so people don't feel like the extra money went to naught.

As it was stated on Kickstater it will be 2 months after the Kickstarter drive finished so about the 1st of June.

Stelly
Digital

Postby Digital » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:02 pm

veryalien wrote:I appreciate busy, and not wanting to release a broken demo.

And here starts the entitled "I paid" bitching... :roll:
Tybot

Postby Tybot » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:06 pm

I would like to see a pre-beta. Why? Purely for selfish reasons. I'm impatient. :P