When is the beta coming?

General discussion about the game.
Darthcaboose

Re: When is the beta coming?

Postby Darthcaboose » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:58 pm

Niknaktom wrote:Lets just been honest shall we. we all just wanna play the damn game. all this bullshit about Oh I wanna help find bugs and stuff thats why i want the beta now is bollocks, we want the beta just so we can get our grubey little mits on whats is gonna be a bloody fanastic game and play the living shit out of it.

Good day!

True, but I personally enjoy finding bugs and squashing them! Something about finding a little bug in the system, trying to think about how the devs possibly built the game up so the bug could happen in the first place is an interesting experience!
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:55 am

Wow this community seems to suffer a bit from being founded around backing the game on kickstarter. It would probably have a nicer tone to it if it was started up before the kickstarter campaign.

While from a legal view point I will have to assume that you have made a purchuse of beta access. I would prefere though to see it as you have given money to a project to help them make it better, and as a show of good will they give you access to the beta when they are ready to do so. That (to me) feels more like the Idea and spirit of kickstarter.
Darthcaboose

Postby Darthcaboose » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:13 am

Gorlom wrote:Wow this community seems to suffer a bit from being founded around backing the game on kickstarter. It would probably have a nicer tone to it if it was started up before the kickstarter campaign.

While from a legal view point I will have to assume that you have made a purchuse of beta access. I would prefere though to see it as you have given money to a project to help them make it better, and as a show of good will they give you access to the beta when they are ready to do so. That (to me) feels more like the Idea and spirit of kickstarter.

The Kickstarter is a considerable step-up from putting a "Donate" button on a website and hoping to fill the project's coffers that way (I'm looking at you Dwarf Fortress, though Tarn Adams is doing pretty well); it's giving the investors an explicit list of deliverables based on the level of contribution to a project. Failure to deliver on that list without some reasonable explanation or workaround would really raise eyebrows amongst the other Kickstarters. We shouldn't act completely spoiled and entitled, but we should definitely become a part of the project, become concerned and active when there are issues, and hopefully push it on towards success!

It's a bit like investing in companies in the real world. Investors who think companies can't live up to their promises or demonstrate growth in their industry will pull out.
Warbird

Postby Warbird » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:18 am

Darthcaboose wrote:It's a bit like investing in companies in the real world. Investors who think companies can't live up to their promises or demonstrate growth in their industry will pull out.

I've always liked to think of ourselves as shareholders in the project (the project here being the game being a pseudo company, not SSG). We deserve a say in things to a small degree, but we don't hold direct control of the project.

Hey Justin, can I be CEO? If not, can I get one of those cookies you guys are known to send out?
Snake Plissken

Postby Snake Plissken » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:25 am

Dibs on CFO...and the cool parking space
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:26 am

Darthcaboose wrote:
Gorlom wrote:Wow this community seems to suffer a bit from being founded around backing the game on kickstarter. It would probably have a nicer tone to it if it was started up before the kickstarter campaign.

The Kickstarter is a considerable step-up from putting a "Donate" button on a website and hoping to fill the project's coffers that way (I'm looking at you Dwarf Fortress, though Tarn Adams is doing pretty well); it's giving the investors an explicit list of deliverables based on the level of contribution to a project. Failure to deliver on that list without some reasonable explanation or workaround would really raise eyebrows amongst the other Kickstarters. We shouldn't act completely spoiled and entitled, but we should definitely become a part of the project, become concerned and active when there are issues, and hopefully push it on towards success!

It's a bit like investing in companies in the real world. Investors who think companies can't live up to their promises or demonstrate growth in their industry will pull out.

We are more donors then investors though. We don't get any return on the companys success nor do we get any shares of the company. The only thing we get out of this are the things listed as "rewards" which is more or less merchendise we bought through kickstarter.
Your comparison would be more accurate if you switched "investers" with "consumers" and adjusted it accordingly. As backers through kickstarter we can't pull out of this "investment", we gave them money and they can do whatever they want with it. Hopefully they live up to their promises.
Any involvement from us consumers into the projects development is entirely at the development teams leisure. That is a service we should be VERY grateful for, not something we should expect just because we preordered.
Niknaktom

Postby Niknaktom » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:34 pm

I cant wait to see all the new features they will have added from the demo its gonna be sweet

Edit- Will we be able to choose which ship we start out in? or is it random?
Last edited by Niknaktom on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Only fools go, where angels fear to tread
OrangeBottle

Postby OrangeBottle » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:21 pm

I'd like to think that the internet can have a little respect and patience when it comes to things such as this. Then I see the above post, and that belief is shattered.

Seriously, you're not helping anything by posting,"OMG I NED DIZ NAO!!!1!". It's annoying at best, and outright disrespectful at worst.
Warbird

Postby Warbird » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:14 am

What post are you referencing Orange? The one above you seems perfectly fine.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:16 am

Warbird: There was one previously below mine that said in caps that he wanted the beta to be here already. Dunno if it was the guy currently below my last post and he edited his post or if it got deleted and someone else was faster at posting then Orangebottle