The most infuriating encounter in the game.

General discussion about the game.
Number43

The most infuriating encounter in the game.

Postby Number43 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:52 am

You know what event does the best job of upsetting me whenever it occurs? When I get a quest for a "hidden federation base" that can help me more, I have to detour a bit from my planned path to reach it, but when I get there it tells me "there is nothing here at the coordinates you were given. Perhaps they were simply mistaken." Quests should not be nothing but a waste of time without even the possibility of a blue option. It gets me very annoyed whenever it does this to me.
THEBANDIT240

Re: The most infuriating encounter in the game.

Postby THEBANDIT240 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:31 am

Nah man that's half the fun XD if it only had positive outcomes it wouldn't be fun at all
I love FTL
Try out this awesome mod Infinte Space! -
http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&p=23012#p23012
EdenNov

Postby EdenNov » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:02 am

Number43 wrote:Quests should not be nothing but a waste of time without even the possibility of a blue option.

But it does have a blue option, my friend. I wont spoil it too much, but the stealth cruiser can FIND the base in it's most basic form.
FDru

Postby FDru » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:53 pm

It's the Rock Mine Layer event for me.

You either have the proper equipment to get a blue option (the most economical being upgraded engines, which are terribly useless), or you're forced into a 50/50 chance to lose a crew member or get some petty scrap.
EdenNov

Postby EdenNov » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:56 pm

Are there other blue options for the mine thing?
Besides, engines aren't useless, in fact they're the cheapest defense against missiles.
Number43

Postby Number43 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:40 pm

EdenNov wrote:Are there other blue options for the mine thing?
Besides, engines aren't useless, in fact they're the cheapest defense against missiles.

I'm sure there are at least 3 blue options for that mine thing, but I can't remember for sure what. I think some kind of drone is one of them.
FDru

Postby FDru » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:08 pm

EdenNov wrote:Are there other blue options for the mine thing?

Oh yeah, you're right. I was thinking piloting. I think the level of engines you need for this blue option is rather high though.

The other options are a missile launcher (I only have one if the ship I started with comes equipped with it) or a beam drone (another rarity).

It's extremely rare that I actually have the proper equipment when this event comes up. The worst part is not being able to skip it, though.
Spleenling

Postby Spleenling » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:21 am

Good piloting does help more hits required to knock out any system is a good thing in my book
and there are at least 2 blue options for the hidden base.

ITS HIDDEN
Number43

Postby Number43 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:24 am

I assumed there weren't any options as the text implied they were mistaken about the base being there rather than it being too well hidden, and I assumed if there was a blue option like that my upgraded sensors would be one of them.

As for piloting, The more hits to take it out is helpful, but I usually only feel like spending any scrap on it if I'm near the end and already at max power. It does make a very big difference if you get that one ion storm event whre it gives you a blue option though. Maybe take it if you see you are going to pass through multiple nebula sectors I guess.
undergroundmonorail

Postby undergroundmonorail » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:22 am

FDru wrote:It's the Rock Mine Layer event for me.

You either have the proper equipment to get a blue option (the most economical being upgraded engines, which are terribly useless), or you're forced into a 50/50 chance to lose a crew member or get some petty scrap.

FDru wrote:(the most economical being upgraded engines, which are terribly useless)

FDru wrote:upgraded engines are useless

You're bad at the game.