FTL Versus Mode

General discussion about the game.
AtnaShadow

FTL Versus Mode

Postby AtnaShadow » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:31 am

Now, hear me out on this one. This is not a post demanding or even asking for multiplayer to be added to this game. However, this is a...let's say unofficial game mode that a friend of mine and I came up with, that we like to call FTL Versus. All it requires is a friend who also owns the game, and a way to talk to them, be it playing in the same room, skype, a vent server, take your pick.

The rules are fairly simple. You start a game at the same time, and race to the finish. The person to beat the final boss first, wins. However, FTL being the dastardly unforgiving game that it is, odds are you're both going to fail a good chunk of the time, so, the secondary win condition is to see who can make it the farthest -before- dying, or, more precisely, last one to die, wins.

But, it gets a bit more interesting. If you die, you're not quite out yet. You're allowed to restart, and if you manage to catch up to the sector the other player is in, the game continues on as normal, ignoring the fact that you died. If the other player either beats the boss or dies before this, they still win, as they died last. Obviously this requires a bit of a gentleman's agreement, as there's nothing stopping you from just letting yourself die after the other person did, other than the fact that it would make you a terrible person, and that would make everyone else very sad.

Lastly, a few 'suggested' rules: both of you should play it on normal, because, well, it's more fun when it's harder. Also, you should probably use the same ship, but, well, you don't have to. In the few times I've done it, we agreed not to, and it was still a blast.

As a proof of concept, we decided to record a run of FTL Versus, complete with some fun picture-in-picture work. Now, forewarning, the run is -awful,- but, eh, that's the nature of the game! So, I hope you enjoy trying out FTL Versus with your friends, and hope you maybe enjoy the episodes of it I have here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=188iCwj0CdY
EdenNov

Re: FTL Versus Mode

Postby EdenNov » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:12 am

Maybe ditch the"last to die" rule and just have first to kill the boss=win? that way there isn't an incentive to kill yourself, and nobody can cheat. I like the idea. :)