FTL on Mac

General discussion about the game.
take

Re: FTL on Mac

Postby take » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:51 pm

there is a free trial of crossover for mac/linux on codeweavers' site:

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/#cxmac

once installed, you will be prompted with an 'install software' screen. you can choose the steam.msi installer as an option to get that installed into what's called a 'bottle' [i chose winxp], which is basically an emulation of windows, without the need for parallels/vmware/bootcamp nonsense. once steam is installed, just enter your key normally and you should be good to go!!

as an aside, i ran FTL in both crossover and on a separate windows partition, and the game ran considerably faster/better in crossover.

before steam for mac was released i used crossover to play TF2/L4D2/HL2/Etc., and i strongly recommend paying for it if you find it useful, as it really does work and partitioning your drive out just to play one game is a pain and not really worth it.
aviphysics

Postby aviphysics » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:49 pm

jkamcmillen wrote:So should I want to actually do testing for the Mac version and I backed asking for the reward for inclusion for the beta test, I pretty much gave them extra for nothing then? That sucks, I was under the impression that Mac would be tested before the game was launched. I pre-ordered specifically because the game was to be out for the Mac as well.

It wasn't for nothing. In case you didn't read a few of the posts up top, people have reported the game working on Mac (using Crossover 11.1) and Linux (using Wine). I don't know anything about Crossover, but Ubuntu Linux w/ Wine running on a virtual machine like VMware would get you playing the game without extra $$$. You even get the added bonus of save states from the virtual machine.

edit: you need the paid version of VMware for save states but VMware Player will still get the game running. I tried VirtualBox, which includes save states and is free, but it runs a lot slower so you need a pretty beefy computer.

The best free solution sounds like installing Wine on mac as suggested below.
Last edited by aviphysics on Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JanoS

Postby JanoS » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:44 am

aviphysics wrote:
jkamcmillen wrote:So should I want to actually do testing for the Mac version and I backed asking for the reward for inclusion for the beta test, I pretty much gave them extra for nothing then? That sucks, I was under the impression that Mac would be tested before the game was launched. I pre-ordered specifically because the game was to be out for the Mac as well.

It wasn't for nothing. In case you didn't read a few of the posts up top, people have reported the game working on Mac (using Crossover 11.1) and Linux (using Wine). I don't know anything about Crossover, but Ubuntu Linux w/ Wine running on a virtual machine like VMware would get you playing the game without extra $$$. You even get the added bonus of save states from the virtual machine.

I am running FTL on Mac using Wine with no problems.
Google for instructions how to install wine on Mac -- install xcode, then port, then wine, winetricks and off you go!
You do not need any licenses.
jkamcmillen

Postby jkamcmillen » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:34 am

Got Crossover, but Steam for Windows doesn't seem to get past the login screen. Is there some kind of special settings I need to configure for my Steam "bottle"?

Edit: Ok nevermind. I guess there must have been some kind of Steam client hickup or something.