Suggestion: Increase repair speed after a battle.

General discussion about the game.
Jason

Suggestion: Increase repair speed after a battle.

Postby Jason » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:30 pm

After a battle I find that if a few ships systems are damaged it takes me a long time to repair them all, as no time passes i.e. the rebel fleet getting closer during the battle screen after a battle its just a waste of time to repair at normal speed.

The only problems i see with this is if your in a system that you have to get out of quickly like one with a dangerous environment that having quick repair can make this danger less so I also suggest that this quick repair does not activate in places with these events only in safe systems.
Lestibournes

Re: Suggestion: Increase repair speed after a battle.

Postby Lestibournes » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:34 pm

So basically you want to be able to fast-forward through the game, not make make the crew somehow work more efficiently.
co2raven

Postby co2raven » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:05 am

I wonder then, if it would be possible to instead speed up the crew after battle to repair the ship.
Probably more implementable than a fast forward.
Lestibournes

Postby Lestibournes » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:30 am

co2raven wrote:I wonder then, if it would be possible to instead speed up the crew after battle to repair the ship.
Probably more implementable than a fast forward.

Fast-forward was a figure of speech. It might be more accurate to describe it as a time-skip. It could be implemented by making it so that if you are jumping out of a safe location (no enemies remaining, no environmental hazards, etc) then your ship automatically receives full repairs for all things that can be repaired by the crew.
Jason

Postby Jason » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:56 am

Well the point is that its spoiling the flow of the game, if there are no enemies or outside danger like a flare why wait around to repair systems that will be repaired anyway without any danger? Its like putting an unnecessary traffic light in the flow of the game.

One secret to a good game is to not put in any features or game play that annoy the player unnecessarily.
Wanderduene

Postby Wanderduene » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:14 am

Jason wrote:Well the point is that its spoiling the flow of the game, if there are no enemies or outside danger like a flare why wait around to repair systems that will be repaired anyway without any danger? Its like putting an unnecessary traffic light in the flow of the game.

One secret to a good game is to not put in any features or game play that annoy the player unnecessarily.

Hi.

I don't think that this is annoying. After a battle the ship must be rapaired and this takes time - for me this is a part of the micromanagement I have to do.

Also it's possible that you loose your crew AFTER a battle in result of a damaged ship and an injured crew - I had often that situation. I dont think that this should be simply skipped by a quick-repair function.
Lanfeix

Postby Lanfeix » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:37 pm

We dont have to wait for the FTL drive to spool when the battles after why should we wait for repair?
AJTilley

Postby AJTilley » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:29 pm

I think a lot of people dont get that this is a roguelike game and trying to be immersive, a roguelike is about punishing the player a little and making things harder the longer you play. Also you have to wait for repair because the damage if left unrepaired or not repaired correctly and efficiently can cause further damage, damage the hull, start fires etc... It can get worse. Whereas ftl spooling can only get better it slowly powers up if someone is in the cockpit so speeding that up doesnt effect gameplay, but speeding up repair or making instant repair would.

I imagine their aim is to give you a choice you can either choose to wait for repair which can be less enjoyable at times or jump to the next system not fully prepared... The choice is yours.
Ultimately I dont see them changing this system at all.

P.s. i have survived a battle and then lost the ship because a fire that was started, which spread and destroyed half my ship, I was battling against it until the damage was so great all my oxygen was lost and my crew died.
It was a lot of fun and a new part of the game to me. with this idea in effect that kind of situtation wouldnt be possible. Which would be a loss for all.
Wanderduene

Postby Wanderduene » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:46 pm

AJTilley wrote:P.s. i have survived a battle and then lost the ship because a fire that was started, which spread and destroyed half my ship, I was battling against it until the damage was so great all my oxygen was lost and my crew died.
It was a lot of fun and a new part of the game to me. with this idea in effect that kind of situtation wouldnt be possible. Which would be a loss for all.

Exactly that I mean :-)
Bomaz

Postby Bomaz » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:04 pm

With no ongoing fire or similar hazards one should just have the ship auto-repair (possibly put it as an option in the menu).

Likewise I feel crew should automaticly be teleported onboard after the enemy ship's crew is dead (assuming no hazards or fires onboard that ship of course)