What The Actual F*CK were you thinking?

General discussion about the game.
diegzumillo

Re: What The Actual F*CK were you thinking?

Postby diegzumillo » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:12 am

The player does rely a lot on luck, but no more than a cards game, for example (and not as much as poker). But even with a poor hand a good strategist can make something out of it. It takes time, several play sessions, lots of dying, to learn what are good strategies. And even when you think you have a working strategy there comes an enemy that changes that balance completely, forcing you to rethink what you're doing... I'm actually in awe with this game.
diegzumillo

Postby diegzumillo » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:10 am

aaaaaa50 wrote:My very first time playing, (which was on normal,) somewhere around the 6th or 7th sectors I didn't have enough firepower to defeat most of the enemy ships. I was able to jump and repair well enough to survive to the 8th sector, which felt really great at the time. Since the stated goal of the game was to reach the Federation base, I thought I was winning right up till I found out that while the Federation had lots of ships, my battered Kestral was the only one they could spare to fight the giant Rebel ship. And then I died. :(

I know what you mean. The first time I played the game gave me that feeling of survival, I was into that actually! This makes me wish FTL had more game modes... I really hope they expand the game, it deserves!
Wariamu

Postby Wariamu » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:56 pm

I find it quite annoying how so many players are saying how easy it is to beat the boss or how it is the easiest to beat (after you find how to beat him (as in: after you read up THE tactic to beat it)). That doesn't evne make sense! There's no way it's the easiest..

I don't know but if I play a game and the game randomisation makes it impossible to win, it's because the game is flawed in my opinion. And I don't believe there's any kind of fun in this. Not it's not fun to lose and start over from scratch. There's a limit to how much time I like wasting, unlike some people.

I don't want to look up a godamned guide to how beat the boss. I think that's lame and if the game requires you to do that, it is a flaw. When I beat a game, I want to do it myself. Not follow a guide. What's the fucking point then? Where's the fun in that?

I just don't understand how some people can say this game is easy. That's such a big fat lie and you're just trying to make yourself feel good or something. I can hardly believe anyone who beat this game after only a few tries played 100% without checking up guides.

I'm not saying it's impossible but I'm not going to believe most people had that.

And why the hell are people replying BS like: if you didn't want to play hard games you just didn't have to buy this game! What kind of crap is this? Is it written somewhere when you buy the game: do not buy if you do not like to play games that are almost impossible to beat and incredibly hard.This game is sold on steam. What are you expecting? People buying it are only players who like and know rogue-like games? Does it make you so much cooler just because you know these games and you pride yourself with being so good at them?

I don't know what's wrong with people playing FPSs. I love how the original poster of this thread saiod nothing about this AT ALL but some random fucker came in and toild him that he should stick to FPS if he thinks this is too easy. What the fuck? Are FPS supposed to be too easy? WTF, competitions online are hard as fuck and the talent level is super high. And it's not like games like COD weren't hard on the hardest difficulty! Ok it might not compare to the BS difficulty of this game but don't put down people because they don't like losing so much and they want to play a game they can enjoy because games are made to have FUN.

Ahem, thanks. :lol:

By the way, I do like very much FTL despite the things I dislike about it.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:07 am

Wariamu wrote:I find it quite annoying how so many players are saying how easy it is to beat the boss or how it is the easiest to beat (after you find how to beat him (as in: after you read up THE tactic to beat it)). That doesn't evne make sense! There's no way it's the easiest..

I did not read about any tactics to beat the final boss. I thought up several of them and used them to win. I later saw other tactics that worked just as well as the ones I devised on my own. Back when I was doing this, the game seemed extremely difficult to beat. These days it's not nearly so.

I don't know but if I play a game and the game randomisation makes it impossible to win, it's because the game is flawed in my opinion. And I don't believe there's any kind of fun in this. Not it's not fun to lose and start over from scratch. There's a limit to how much time I like wasting, unlike some people.

By definition you're wasting time just by playing the game. That is not a bad thing, people play games to relax. If FTL does not make you relax, you should probably play another game that does that for you.

I don't want to look up a godamned guide to how beat the boss. I think that's lame and if the game requires you to do that, it is a flaw. When I beat a game, I want to do it myself. Not follow a guide. What's the fucking point then? Where's the fun in that?

See above. Every time you lose in the game (not just against the Flagship, and for that matter not just while playing FTL), instead of getting mad at the random number generator or the creator of the game stop for a moment, think about what happened and why, and then consider ways you could have prevented it. If you have the means, record your play and then watch it later. You'll be surprised all the things you forgot to do that caused you to lose that battle that you thought you lost due to RNG screw.

I just don't understand how some people can say this game is easy. That's such a big fat lie and you're just trying to make yourself feel good or something. I can hardly believe anyone who beat this game after only a few tries played 100% without checking up guides.

I'm not saying it's impossible but I'm not going to believe most people had that.

Sure maybe if you beat the game on Normal in your 3rd try, but I didn't beat the game until my 26th try and there was a lot of pain in those 25 failures. And then I didn't win again for another 5 tries or so. This game is damn hard until you've gotten the hang of it. Once you have, though, it's surprisingly easy.

And why the hell are people replying BS like: if you didn't want to play hard games you just didn't have to buy this game! What kind of crap is this? Is it written somewhere when you buy the game: do not buy if you do not like to play games that are almost impossible to beat and incredibly hard.This game is sold on steam. What are you expecting? People buying it are only players who like and know rogue-like games? Does it make you so much cooler just because you know these games and you pride yourself with being so good at them?

It is wholly possible that FTL is not the game for you (or somebody else). It can be frustrating. If you don't want a game that is frustrating, you should consider something else. However, overcoming the frustration for me was EXTREMELY rewarding. If you want that feeling, you MUST go through the frustration first. There is no shortcut. If you don't want to take the journey I'm not going to look down on you, but don't blame the game if you don't want what it advertises.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
spacecadet13

Postby spacecadet13 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:49 am

The majority of gamers these days don't want 'hard' or games they can actually 'lose' - They want god-mode, guaranteed wins. Defeat, with no do-over? WTF? And, up until FTL I was definately IN that category. Make a mistake, get smacked? Just load up that save and don't make that mistake this time. Yay, I won. Yawn.

I nearly quit FTL altogether, after a pretty large number of rage-quits. It was hard. Too hard. And frustrating. Sometimes, there really is just no way you can win, no matter what you do. And you finally get to the boss, yes! Whoa, how are you supposed to beat that? Multiple failures. Multiple rage quits. Then... Yes! Beat it! But, what...you're kidding, right? And again?

But, eventually, I came to appreciate its difficulty. A win sort of meant something - if 'winning' a single player computer game can mean anything - a win on FTL is somehow worth more than a game where 'death' or mistakes have no consquence.

And looking back now, have to agree with 5th - most of those defeats were down to mistakes on my part, rather than the game being hard or the RNG being constantly skewed against me. Now, I love FTL for its difficulty, and that you can't just go back a jump or two and try again. And I like the fact that it is, sometimes, all but impossible to beat. What's wrong with not being able to win every time? Isn't life like that? Makes the wins taste all the sweeter. Other games now seem a little less involving or meaningful, because the consquences of failure are non-existent compared to failure in FTL. I was even inspired by my FTL experience to start Hardcore characters in D3, and I'm WAY more attached to them than any of my 'normal' toons (when they live long enough for me to remember their names, that is)

Like the game tells you - Losing IS part of the fun - without it there would be no fun in winning, IMHO.
Wariamu

Postby Wariamu » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:41 am

I think the problem is that I'm pretty bad at this game even though I like it! But I want to beat it so I get pretty tired of never ending failures.

I probably wouldn't be ranting so much if I didn't play nearly a hundred games without beating it once on normal.

Eventually I'll beat that game no matter what time it friggin takes :lol:

spacecadet13 wrote:The majority of gamers these days don't want 'hard' or games they can actually 'lose'

Well, it's pretty normal. I mean, its bad enough that real life is hard as it is, I think it's nice game are easier and give you a break in that sense. But a lot of games offer players to play an easier version of the game so that you don't have to lose all the time before you can actually beat it. You first beat it on easy or normal, which is playable from the start. You can start over once or two because you're not used to the game. And then you can play harder and you don't get as crushed by the game because you're not a total noob at it. I think these designs make more sense.

But I played all lot of those games you say are too easy and.. I don't know, games like Halo were not that hard and you can die over and over but the only difference is it's not almost governed by luck and you don't start over from scratch. And I dare anyone to say that legendary wasn't difficult at all.

You know, sometimes it's like gamers get lost in their own world where they get REALLY good at games and they forget there's a world out there with people who aren't as good and maybe never will be because they don't play and they're just not as dedicated.

Of course nowadays it's a bit sad because that definitely doesn't represent the major gaming industry and a lot of games indeed are .. kind of too easy and everyone friendly. But I think it still happens with both developers and gamers and both in the popular or underground market.
Last edited by Wariamu on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agigabyte

Postby agigabyte » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:30 pm

I must disagree, I am not good at the game but I usually win if i reach sector seven,plus losing is part of the fun. :D