From the Enterprise to the X-Wing

General discussion about the game.
Kestral B

From the Enterprise to the X-Wing

Postby Kestral B » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:23 pm

Just found another indie game that has actually been around for a while, but is new to me...so I though I'd share it with my favorite community. :)

[[[ ---> Critical Mass <--- ]]]

If FTL is the Enterprise, then this is an X-Wing. In some ways, its a polar opposite, but somehow is scratches a very similar itch for me.

It's still got perma-death, but is structured as an unending march of increasingly difficult randomly generated missions, rather than one long mission with a definite end. You may get a medal or a promotion after each mission depending on performance. You can sometimes fail a mission and still survive (via fleeing/ejecting).

It's a bit pricy at $20, but there's a free demo.

Something to do once you've got 100% completion on your FTL achievements while you wait for the next update or cool mod to come out. :)
SushaBrancaleone

Re: From the Enterprise to the X-Wing

Postby SushaBrancaleone » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:26 pm

same itch?

lets put it this way,
ftl reminds me of the snes games, maybe nes games (end 80's and 90s)
the game you posted reminds me of intellivision games. (early 80s)

not to diss your post but FTL deserves to be compared with something more than a sketch of an idea on with Tron style graphics.

The ships in FTL are done in great detail, and while you may think of it as retro graphics its is so much within the standards of modern graphics.
xdiesp

Re: From the Enterprise to the X-Wing

Postby xdiesp » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:38 pm

Those are actually early 90s pc graphics. Vector graphics are another thing. I'll give that one's demo a shot, but I'm in for the trekyness of it in FTL.