Burst Laser Mk3

General discussion about the game.
Metzelmax

Burst Laser Mk3

Postby Metzelmax » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:56 am

I feel like the burst laser 3 is way to over powered. It is stronger than ever other lvl 3 weapon, it has the highes damage (aside from a glaive beam hitting every room oc) and shuts down every shield.

This weapon is so op that I even sell all my other stuff when ever I am come across a shop thats having it only to buy the mk3. It's the easiest way to get through the endboss's shields if you dont have a ion bomb since rockets will be shot down in the drone phase.

I would like to see it nerfed down to 4 shots and maybe buffing the range of the glaivebeam instead, so it's more effective against the endboss.
Here is the Stuff I made:
ImageImageImageImage
And stuff is always better than no stuff, right?
Kenshkrix

Re: Burst Laser Mk3

Postby Kenshkrix » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:20 am

Metzelmax wrote:I feel like the burst laser 3 is way to over powered. It is stronger than ever other lvl 3 weapon, it has the highes damage (aside from a glaive beam hitting every room oc) and shuts down every shield.

This weapon is so op that I even sell all my other stuff when ever I am come across a shop thats having it only to buy the mk3. It's the easiest way to get through the endboss's shields if you dont have a ion bomb since rockets will be shot down in the drone phase.

I would like to see it nerfed down to 4 shots and maybe buffing the range of the glaivebeam instead, so it's more effective against the endboss.

As far as energy goes, MkIII is inefficient, you can get 6 shots from 2 MkIIs for the same.
In regards to the Glaive beam, I think its plenty powerful as is, personally.
embair

Postby embair » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:30 am

As Kenshkrix said, and also the Mk2s fire at almost double the rate of Mk3. I only got my hand on BL Mk3 once and it didn't feel all that OP to me. The flagship has about 40% evasion right? So unless you disable piloting or engines, BL3 will take down 3 shield levels, not all that impressive for a 4-energy weapon with 19s recharge.
canman

Postby canman » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:09 am

Agreed. Mk3's energy requirement + dealing with the high evasion in late game makes it feel pretty balanced to me. Ion Blast Mk-2 - now there's a weapon bordering on OP :D
robochibi

Postby robochibi » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:18 am

The Mk3 has got power but it takes a long time to charge and its not as energy efficient. If much rather have two Mk2 and you alsohave the added benefit of targeting two systems at once.
StarWarsOZ

Postby StarWarsOZ » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:48 am

I have played this game and the Mk 3 lasers isn't that good. It seems great, but the long recharge time just means you are waiting for so long for it 2 charge.

But if I have other lasers or missiles, i may consider getting it. But it is by no means OP and not the most powerful weapon in the game.
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.
Bill Watterson
Derakon

Postby Derakon » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:26 pm

You want to have one of ion bomb, breach bomb (/ breach bomb mk 2), or small bomb to deal with the flagship's medbay and/or shields (depending on if you're using a boarding strategy or not). Relying on laser weaponry to just hammer the shields down is a comparatively brute-force approach. It can work -- my first win used burst lasers and heavy lasers as my sole offense -- but slugging it out with the enemy flagship is a bit of a crapshoot.

The Burst Laser mk 3 is a terrible weapon. Massive cooldown, massive energy requirements. Sure it's great when it actually fires, but I think I'd actually rather have 2x Burst Laser 1 -- same energy requirements, only 4 shots instead of 5, but it fires almost twice as fast. 2x Burst Laser 2s is obviously preferable unless you're really hurting for weapon slots.
SushaBrancaleone

Postby SushaBrancaleone » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:01 pm

why are you guys talking about balancing a game as if it had pvp or was an mmo?

think of it this way: ever played GT 2 or 3 or 4? you unlock cars and can buy cars, some are better than others, if they were all the same.. it wouldnt be GT...
icepick

Postby icepick » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:12 pm

SushaBrancaleone wrote:why are you guys talking about balancing a game as if it had pvp or was an mmo?

think of it this way: ever played GT 2 or 3 or 4? you unlock cars and can buy cars, some are better than others, if they were all the same.. it wouldnt be GT...

It's more a game design convenience term than anything. You "balance" a single player campaign to maintain a proper flow/difficulty curve.

Does that make more sense?
Derakon

Postby Derakon » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:43 pm

Weapons can be unbalanced in a single-player game. They just can't be competitively unbalanced.

Imagine if your selection of starting weapons in an RPG were a club, a slingshot, or Excalibur. Nobody would ever use the club or slingshot unless they were intentionally trying to make the game harder on themselves. The game is not balanced -- either it's incredibly easy with the god-sword in your hands (because the game assumes you don't have such powerful weaponry), or it's incredibly difficult with the club and peashooter (because the game assumed everyone would pick Excalibur).

In the case of the Burst Laser 3, there's two things going on here. First is that the BL2 is a ridiculously good weapon, and it's expected that the BL3 should be better (after all, 3 is bigger than 2!). Secondly though is that the BL3's increased offensive output comes with some major caveats (4 power requirement and a huge charge time). It's a rare game where, if you had a choice and weren't intentionally trying to make the game harder on yourself, you wouldn't rather take something other than the BL3. That's what makes it unbalanced.