Am I just that bad?

General discussion about the game.
bradmoriz

Am I just that bad?

Postby bradmoriz » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:15 am

I’m newer to the style of game but not new to gaming by any means. Just picked this up on the switch last night and have been enjoying the fuck out of it but damn dude, I have yet to clear the second island.... lol new residential projects in lower parel

Probably loads I can be doing, I’ll keep playing but damn, this is quite the challenge for me

Playing on normal for anyone that was curious
Last edited by bradmoriz on Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5thHorseman

Re: Am I just that bad?

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:13 am

You posted in FTL but seem to be talking about Into The Breach.

Yes, it's that hard. Especially for seasoned gamers. The goals in the game (from flavor text) match what you as a gamer expect, but the actual winning strategy is quite different.

Your mechs heal fully for free after every battle. Therefore, mech health is a very low priority until the last shot that will kill them.
"Optional" objectives *ARE* the objectives. Almost anything - except *possibly* a pilot's life - is less important than those optional objectives.
People dying in buildings is bad, but of most of the bad things in the game it's the least bad. I'll take a hit to a mech instead of a building if the mech will survive, but if that building damage means I keep an objective or mech from being destroyed, sorry Billy you're dying today.

In addition to that, there are a few things that are not obvious on first blush.
Pushing is SUPER powerful, as most vek die instantly in water.
Knowing how many hp a vek has by sight, and how much damage it will do, is important on the main map screen when deciding what island to go to. This is more important later.
Turn order is critical. Click that icon on the top of the screen that shows it, and try to get the vek that move first to kill the ones that move later.

There are a million other little things, but those should get you through Archive and RST, and possibly the final battle even :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
odpovedanqb

Re: Am I just that bad?

Postby odpovedanqb » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:05 am

5thHorseman wrote:You posted in FTL but seem to be talking about Into The Breach.

Yes, it's that hard. Especially for seasoned gamers. The goals in the game (from flavor text) match what you as a gamer expect, but the actual winning strategy is quite different.

Your mechs heal fully for free after every battle. Therefore, mech health is a very low priority until the last shot that will kill them.
"Optional" objectives *ARE* the objectives. Almost anything - except *possibly* a pilot's life - is less important than those optional objectives.
People dying in buildings is bad, but of most of the bad things in the game it's the least bad. I'll take a hit to a mech instead of a building if the mech will survive, but if that building damage means I keep an objective or mech from being destroyed, sorry Billy you're dying today.

In addition to that, there are a few things that are not obvious on first blush.
Pushing is SUPER powerful, as most vek die instantly in water.
Knowing how many hp a vek has by sight, and how much damage it will do, is important on the main map screen when deciding what island to go to. This is more important later.
Turn order is critical. Click that icon on the top of the screen that shows it, and try to get the vek that move first to kill the ones that move later.

There are a million other little things, but those should get you through Archive and RST, and possibly the final battle even :)

Thank you so much for the informative and interesting post I like your points which you have discussed over here, great job.