Prevent AI from shooting uselessly

General discussion about the game.
juhakall

Prevent AI from shooting uselessly

Postby juhakall » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:47 pm

Wouldn't it be a great challenge for more skilled players, if this simple check was added to the AI: is it possible to damage the player ship? If the AI ship has just charged its Burst Laser II, but the player has 3 or more shield points, there's no point in firing the weapon at that moment. I can't imagine this being very hard to implement. Of course it might just be insanely hard and pointless. Do you think it would be a good idea?
Fluzing

Re: Prevent AI from shooting uselessly

Postby Fluzing » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:12 pm

I would be happy if the AI would time its beams better. Now the AI just shoots whenever he has a weapon up, while he should fire all his weapons at the same time.
Drasha

Postby Drasha » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:45 pm

This game would be so much harder if ai shot in vollys and targeted specific systems. Would be a nice option though since its a bit silly now.
send me a message with a link if you see spam and I will take care of it.
StarWarsOZ

Postby StarWarsOZ » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:56 pm

That sounds like a good idea, but you might have to put that into a seperate difficulty, because if it was in easy and normal new players would find it very hard to get anywhere.

Also, how would it apply to ships that can't get through your shields, like one with 2 beam weapons?
Would they just sit there not firing anything because they can't damage u?
(I really like those kind of ships :) )
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.
Bill Watterson
Pixel

Postby Pixel » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:25 am

StarWarsOZ wrote:That sounds like a good idea, but you might have to put that into a seperate difficulty, because if it was in easy and normal new players would find it very hard to get anywhere.

Also, how would it apply to ships that can't get through your shields, like one with 2 beam weapons?

They'd try to run naturally. Why should they just sit there firing, letting your crew learn how to perform better?

It'd change the game a lot though, so a new difficulty or a total rebalancing altogether would be needed.
StarWarsOZ

Postby StarWarsOZ » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:32 am

Pixel wrote:
StarWarsOZ wrote:That sounds like a good idea, but you might have to put that into a seperate difficulty, because if it was in easy and normal new players would find it very hard to get anywhere.

They'd try to run naturally. Why should they just sit there firing, letting your crew learn how to perform better?

It'd change the game a lot though, so a new difficulty or a total rebalancing altogether would be needed.

Yeah, that would work if they just tried to run, but as we both said, it will need big changes to the game and playstyle, so that probably won't be done until a FTL 2 (if one even comes out)

For now I am happy dealing with ships that have very OP weapons that can't take out all my systems in one shot, thanks. :)
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.
Bill Watterson
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:55 am

It would also be nice if the computer knew how to use the anti-bio beam! Right now if you give it to an enemy ship it just shoots wildly.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
juhakall

Postby juhakall » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:32 pm

Of course a total rebalancing of existing difficulty levels would be too much to ask from a mere patch. What I'm suggesting is a new difficulty level with just small changes. Things that take very little time to implement, but make the game possibly a lot harder. I'm aware that most games do this by just increasing AI bonuses, but we can hope that FTL does better. At least the difficulty level naming has obvious room for one more level :)
Ashenai

Postby Ashenai » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:20 am

A Hard difficulty where the only change would be smarter AI would be pretty interesting. Although it is kind of funny seeing the AI drop EMP bombs into empty sections of my ship. Pro tactics. :D
hborrgg

Postby hborrgg » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:36 am

If the AI knew how to time its shots then it would make shield recharge speed pretty useless.