Difficulty reassurance!!

General discussion about the game.
jasonbaker

Difficulty reassurance!!

Postby jasonbaker » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:34 am

Hi everyone. I've been an FTL player for many years though I only have about 100 total hours and am fairly inexperienced. I was just familiarising myself with the ship unlock mechanics to see what I should do next and noticed that all my previous unlocks have been on easy mode. I have a faint memory of this game being extremely difficult even in normal, so I wondered what people's opinions were on the game's general difficulty compared to others, and how much dignity one can maintain playing entirely on easy? Also, I still don't understand the difference between difficulty settings and the advanced content. I have always played AE enabled so as to avoid missing out on achievements but I can't really be bothered to turn it off and see what's missing. Just joined this sub, many sorries if these are questions that get asked all the time.

Tl;dr 1: Opinions on general difficulty of the game: is it common to play on easy a lot of the time? 2. AE content: what does it add? How does the difficulty change compare to the actual difficulty settings?

Thank you!!
5thHorseman

Re: Difficulty reassurance!!

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:52 pm

Easy mode is roughly equivalent to most games' hard mode.

Normal mode is roughly equivalent to most games' insanity mode.

They added hard mode in AE because they couldn't believe we'd want it even harder and just made it stupid hard. That's the mode I prefer :)

But there is no shame in playing in easy mode. It's not *easy* it's just *not ridiculously hard*. I beat the entire game on Easy before I even thought to try Normal mode. By the time AE came out though I was among those calling for a harder mode.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."