Need a middle difficulty

General discussion about the game.
StarWarsOZ

Re: Need a middle difficulty

Postby StarWarsOZ » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:40 am

Jephrey wrote:This game is brilliant, and I like the "rogue-like" flavor where any number of things can kill you. The problem is, 99% of what kills me is AI missiles. The logic is pretty simple: if missile weapons had unlimited, free ammo would you use anything else? No, you wouldn't. They are awesome! Well, the AI gets unlimited free ammo. If a missile doesn't kill you outright, it sas your money until you're broke and helpless.

Ship evasion is also greatly overrated. It is completely possible to win fights with nobody in the cockpit or engine room. Except the missiles will still kill you.

That is not true, the ships don't have unlimited missiles. Many times I have lastest out a fight where they have their missile system powered up, but don't shoot any missiles. (excption being the flagship, unlimited EVERYTHING)

And maybe having evasion isn't nessecary, but it will be EXTREMELY hard to win without evasion, the flagship just fires too much stuff for your sheilds to take it all.

If the AI did have unlimited missiles, then we would be really screwed, but they do eventully run out. So until they do, u need either evasion or a defense drone to survive.
But i do like this game, and missiles are your friends. :D
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.
Bill Watterson
Jephrey

Postby Jephrey » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:55 am

Your post is not true, Starwarz. Have not seen that happen in any game. Too much George Lucas can affect the brain, though. I've seen that plenty of times.
tswaters

Postby tswaters » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:05 am

It seems to me there is 'easy' and 'normal' -- the most obvious difference is the lack of pause in normal, but there is also less rewards and more difficulty on Normal. So, add a 'hard' mode that adds to normal difficulty -- could also make 'insane' mode that adds even more. Lastly, switch the pause mechanic to an option available to all three difficulties.
Derakon

Postby Derakon » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:58 am

Enemy ships do run out of missiles and drones. They're just willing to expend way more of them in any given fight than the player is. It doesn't bug the enemy ship to throw 15 missiles at you, while the player would want that many missiles to last at least an entire sector most of the time.

The flagship will also eventually run out of drones to fling at you; this is easy to check on because your defense drones will shoot their boarding drones out of the sky. Dunno about their missile launcher though; I always made it a priority to knock that out.
StarWarsOZ

Postby StarWarsOZ » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:23 am

Derakon wrote:Enemy ships do run out of missiles and drones. They're just willing to expend way more of them in any given fight than the player is. It doesn't bug the enemy ship to throw 15 missiles at you, while the player would want that many missiles to last at least an entire sector most of the time.

The flagship will also eventually run out of drones to fling at you; this is easy to check on because your defense drones will shoot their boarding drones out of the sky. Dunno about their missile launcher though; I always made it a priority to knock that out.

Thank you Derakon, for backing up my statement. I have seen this happen 3 times when I have played, so maybe u should play more before u start making assumptions Jephrey.

I will just let that comment about Geroge Lucas pass for fear of starting a war on this thread. :|
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.
Bill Watterson
AzuredreamsXT

Postby AzuredreamsXT » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:29 am

tswaters wrote:It seems to me there is 'easy' and 'normal' -- the most obvious difference is the lack of pause in normal, but there is also less rewards and more difficulty on Normal. So, add a 'hard' mode that adds to normal difficulty -- could also make 'insane' mode that adds even more. Lastly, switch the pause mechanic to an option available to all three difficulties.

Is this guy mad, or are some people actually unable to pause in normal difficulty?
StarWarsOZ

Postby StarWarsOZ » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:47 am

AzuredreamsXT wrote:
tswaters wrote:It seems to me there is 'easy' and 'normal' -- the most obvious difference is the lack of pause in normal, but there is also less rewards and more difficulty on Normal. So, add a 'hard' mode that adds to normal difficulty -- could also make 'insane' mode that adds even more. Lastly, switch the pause mechanic to an option available to all three difficulties.

Is this guy mad, or are some people actually unable to pause in normal difficulty?

As far as I can tell, u can pause whenever u want, in any difficulty.
It works for me, so I don't see y it shouldn't work for anybody else. :?
Bill Watterson
boa13

Postby boa13 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:28 am

You can pause in normal, of course! :lol: I only play this way.

And I have sometimes waited for enemies to finish spending their missile stockpile, so yes, they have a finite amount. (In case you are wondering, this was the first and second encounter, the enemy had some kind of bomb that doesn't damage hull, so I waited until it had no more, and then leveled up my crew easily against that foe that was not able to damage me anymore.)
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
zarakon

Postby zarakon » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:36 am

Jephrey wrote:The problem is, 99% of what kills me is AI missiles.
Try playing a stealth ship! Beams and drones (especially beam drones) will be far worse for you than missiles. Of course the worst thing is just when your own shots miss..
Jephrey

Postby Jephrey » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:31 am

I made no assumptions, star wars boy. So go away and play with your little munchkin friends.