What features would you like to see in a sequel to FTL

General discussion about the game.
Aufklarer

What features would you like to see in a sequel to FTL

Postby Aufklarer » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:56 pm

I think that FTL has set a decent benchmark, to go on and create more depth and character to the current game. Should the developers consider making FTL2 I would really like to see a more free roaming version with similar graphics and a much more diverse and broad randomly generated universe to explore.

Id also like to see the interaction with events more diverse and take into account that everything one does isn't a case of win something (ie scrap) or loose something (ie a crew member). I feel that currently once you have completed around 3-4 play through's you start to get the feeling of which is always the good option and which is always bad or not worth the risk.

Additionally id like there to be a 'Hardcore' mode where there is no real time pause. Couple this with the increase in the risk factor and better rewards for this mode, I think it could add a whole new level of enjoyment to FTL.

Obviously the usual more races, equipment, ships etc is included in the more depth and diversity but is there anything else you would love to see incorporated in a sequel?
TheKillerNacho

Re: What features would you like to see in a sequel to FTL

Postby TheKillerNacho » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:28 pm

I don't think FTL2 will come for awhile, if ever. Its an indie game, and it just came out.

However, once the devs get all the bugs fixed and stuff, I would love to see content updates & even paid DLCs to make this FTL that much better. I heard before that the devs were considering putting in a "Hard" mode that disabled pausing, so that is something you might see in an update.
Scrotimus Prime

Postby Scrotimus Prime » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:53 pm

#1 thing I want, to be able to design and build a unique craft on my own at game start.

I'm thinking some sort of point buy system. You start with X number of points, and various systems, subsystems, weapons, room sizes, crew members etc require a number of points to put in your ship. Like making your custom race in MoO2, or custom wizard in Master of Magic. Or assigning ability points in D&D, I could go on and on with other nerd references. Certain options you would have to unlock like in the current game, special events to unlock the option for Mantis crewmen, or the teleporter. Some achievements could increase the number of points you start with, meaning you could make a better starter ship with the more things you accomplish. And leaving points left over would have a score multiplying affect at the end.

Other thought I had. Hero-class crew members. Like in Warcraft III, guys that can level up higher then others, and there would be tools and weapons and such that only they can equip and use.
Zoso

Postby Zoso » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:04 pm

Not to be a douche, but this is the wrong forum for asking this type of question. You should probably post this to general discussion.
icepick

Postby icepick » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:12 pm

Honestly I hope to see FTL spawn a genre of sorts, not just a sequel. There's so much you could do with the base idea of real time space ship sim.

I'd like to see a more long form campaign where you start in an under-powered scout and work up to a full on cruiser.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:37 pm

Scrotimus Prime wrote:#1 thing I want, to be able to design and build a unique craft on my own at game start.

I'm thinking some sort of point buy system. You start with X number of points, and various systems, subsystems, weapons, room sizes, crew members etc require a number of points to put in your ship. Like making your custom race in MoO2, or custom wizard in Master of Magic. Or assigning ability points in D&D, I could go on and on with other nerd references. Certain options you would have to unlock like in the current game, special events to unlock the option for Mantis crewmen, or the teleporter. Some achievements could increase the number of points you start with, meaning you could make a better starter ship with the more things you accomplish. And leaving points left over would have a score multiplying affect at the end.

They have looked into that. The devs tried it out and simply found it to not be fun enough to motivate it. I think it boiled down to 2 points.
1) there would essentially be an optimal design and then everyone would use that. everything else would just be handicapping yourself.
2) It was too easy to make ships that it were impossible to complete the game with. (maybe you forgot to make airlocks or connect your O2 room to the rest of the ship or perhaps something more subtle that you wouldn't spot over several runs.)
boa13

Postby boa13 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:11 pm

I have moved this topic from Tips, Strategy & Guides to Discussion.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
Zaffre

Postby Zaffre » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:13 am

Too many DLC and sequel threads. Why can't it just come in updates?
Aufklarer

Postby Aufklarer » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:51 pm

I see no reason why there wouldn't be a sequel in time, there will be many features that come out through discussions like these that the dev's will undoubtedly want to include. Just because the game is indie/roguelike dosnt mean there will never be a sequel.

Bigger ships and the ability to take on multi enemies would be a feature i would like to see implemented also
Fluzing

Postby Fluzing » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:15 pm

Gear for crew members. Shields, guns light sabers, armor etc.