Easy mode ludicrously hard

General discussion about the game.
boa13

Re: Easy mode ludicrously hard

Postby boa13 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:17 pm

LeonLeon wrote:What happened exactly is that, on easy mode, in the first turn, hulls of my ship were torn down to about 10-15% and on the second turn the game was over.

I guess that by turn, you mean fight? Or sector? There are no turns in this game.

LeonLeon wrote:That happened after 3 hours of continuous game play, so I knew already what to do.

So I take it you meant "sectors" when you said "turns". It is perfectly unsurprising to die in sector 2, just a bit of bad luck or inexperience. Just start again, this is how the game is supposed to be experienced.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
LeonLeon

Postby LeonLeon » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:24 pm

boa13 wrote:I guess that by turn, you mean fight? Or sector? There are no turns in this game.

By "turn", I mean a "jump". So it happened in the first "jump", in the 1st sector, rigth after I started a new game. The fact that such extreme event took place in the first jump of the 1st sector in easy mode, clearly indicates that something is broken or imbalanced there, doesn't it?
OmegaJasam

Postby OmegaJasam » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:32 pm

Easymode was easy enough for a very close, but still first playthrough win.

Easymode is easy enough that you should be able to win most of the time after trying it a couple times.

Remember this /is/ a rougelike. Easymode is usualy something like 'If you die you only lose half your stats/equipments/limbs instead of all of them'.

In this case, easy mode gives a LOT of credits and makes you fight easyer ships. The one thing it doesn't do, except via proxy, is make the final boss easyer, the events more favourable. Which is correct or else easy mode would be 'I win' mode. For which their is a trainer on these forums.
OmegaJasam

Postby OmegaJasam » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:36 pm

LeonLeon wrote:
boa13 wrote:I guess that by turn, you mean fight? Or sector? There are no turns in this game.

By "turn", I mean a "jump". So it happened in the first "jump", in the 1st sector, rigth after I started a new game. The fact that such extreme event took place in the first jump of the 1st sector in easy mode, clearly indicates that something is broken or imbalanced there, doesn't it?

I can't see any situation in sector one, that could result in losing 80%+ of the hull in jump one, EVER. Either you met whats called 'The RNG' which you can't ever account fo being that bad ever, or you were playing the game wrong. One of the two. Thats nothing to do with the games balance.
Scrotimus Prime

Postby Scrotimus Prime » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:40 pm

I clicked on this thread assuming the title was some kind of joke. Hmmm

Yes, I've also died super early, or just went ahead and restarted anyway after taking alot of hull damage in the first sector. I can see how the possibility of this happening would throw off casual gamers. Maybe the tutorial should end with your ship getting destroyed so that people will be introduced to that concept as early as possible. Like the X-Com demo that is out has the majority of your squad getting killed. Maybe FTL could have a longer, scripted campaign so that casual people could play without the chance of randomness messing with their fun.

The other thing I'll say is that "easy" is a relative term, and that it tells you what the difference is between easy and normal.
LeonLeon

Postby LeonLeon » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:42 pm

OmegaJasam wrote:I can't see any situation in sector one, that could result in losing 80%+ of the hull in jump one, EVER.

That's my point. The easy mode is broken, even if there is slightest chance that such things happen or happened only once. That's what has happened in my case. It was a final "straw which broke the camel's back", and crossed the limit of my patience. It has nothing to do with player's skill but with programmer's and game designer skills.
boa13

Postby boa13 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:47 pm

LeonLeon wrote:By "turn", I mean a "jump". So it happened in the first "jump", in the 1st sector, rigth after I started a new game.

I don't understand how you could take three hours to play those two fights (most of it in the first fight apparently?). This is not a criticism, I just don't understand. :?

Also losing 27 hull out of 30 in the first fight means that you were either very unlucky (got a particularly tough ship in sector 1) and did not handle the situation correctly (which is possible if you're just discovering the game), or that you simply handled the situation very incorrectly, in which case I'm going to ask whether you have followed the tutorial, and whether you pause the game to consider the situation and issue your orders, or try to play it real-time (which would be the hard mode if there was one).
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
Addicted

Postby Addicted » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:48 pm

LeonLeon wrote:
OmegaJasam wrote:I can't see any situation in sector one, that could result in losing 80%+ of the hull in jump one, EVER.

That's my point. The easy mode is broken, even if there is slightest chance that such things happen or happens only once. That's what has happened in my case. It was a final "straw which broke the camel's back", and crossed the limit of my patience.

e: too strong apparently! Ok Leon, best of luck with it all! I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive both the 'poor coders' and me personally. I humbley apologize...
Last edited by Addicted on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ralzar

Postby Ralzar » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:50 pm

Ok, how exactly did you loose 80% of your hull after the first jump on easy mode? I do not want to make assumptions, but it is really hard to not assume that you made some very poor decisions to wind up that damaged after one encounter.
jamotide

Postby jamotide » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:53 pm

Well, maybe they should have included a super-easy mode, where nothing can go wrong and you are just required to click random stuff, but it doesnt really matter. Like in other modern games which are mostly just interactive movies.

I also cannot imagine fighting the first fight so badly to end up with 10% hull. Thats why I ignored your "specific" example. Even if you just randomly target anything, the kestrels weapons are so strong, it just cant happen. Maybe you forgot to shoot? Did you deativate your shields by any chance? Maybe you didn't man the bridge?