Easy mode ludicrously hard

General discussion about the game.
Derakon

Re: Easy mode ludicrously hard

Postby Derakon » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:45 pm

SwordofAeons wrote:The worst RNG I've ever experienced in this game was on the Zoltan Cruiser's B-layout. The very first jump put me in an asteroid field against an enemy ship that had a beam drone. That single fight took me down to 40% hull, but I survived, regrouped, and went on to defeat the boss. Even the worst RNG-screw can be overcome with careful play, and with infinite pausing there's no need for twitch reactions.

Early RNG-screw is definitely possible, but it bugs me less since you only lose, like, 15 minutes tops if you restart. I'll assault giant alien spiders in the first sector sometimes.

But there are definitely non-survivable fights in the very late game. If the game decides to spawn a rebel droneship with ion bombs and enough other heavy weapons, then it's literally a roll of the dice if you get to keep your shields and cockpit operational -- and if you lose either of those, then odds are good you'll die before FTL charges.
SwordofAeons

Postby SwordofAeons » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:59 pm

Derakon wrote:
SwordofAeons wrote:The worst RNG I've ever experienced in this game was on the Zoltan Cruiser's B-layout. The very first jump put me in an asteroid field against an enemy ship that had a beam drone. That single fight took me down to 40% hull, but I survived, regrouped, and went on to defeat the boss. Even the worst RNG-screw can be overcome with careful play, and with infinite pausing there's no need for twitch reactions.

Early RNG-screw is definitely possible, but it bugs me less since you only lose, like, 15 minutes tops if you restart. I'll assault giant alien spiders in the first sector sometimes.

But there are definitely non-survivable fights in the very late game. If the game decides to spawn a rebel droneship with ion bombs and enough other heavy weapons, then it's literally a roll of the dice if you get to keep your shields and cockpit operational -- and if you lose either of those, then odds are good you'll die before FTL charges.

In the very late game, more often than not you'll have cloaking. Even if not, ion bombs take 18 seconds to charge. That's enough to jump away or very nearly.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:16 pm

One thing i had i problem with is the OP insisting that FTL needs to explain better that it is a difficult game.

Why?

I insta-purchased it when GOG offered it, and i knew i'd love it. But if it turned out all wrong, who's to blame? If you buy something you end up hating, tough. Every review of FTL plainly states that the player will die. A lot. And often. The OP doesn't want his money back either, which i find weird. Instead choses to complain that he wasn't sufficiently informed before purchasing. Seriously...

It's that kind of stubborn selfishnes that made it mandatory for lighters to have "flammable" warnings. Could there be anything more idiotic? It's a LIGHTER! I hope it's flammable, wtf should i do with one that isnt? Buy two and rub them together?

That would just cause another warning sticker to appear...
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
headhunter99

Postby headhunter99 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:22 pm

LeonLeon wrote:My post is valid as it serves as a warning to people who enjoy a relaxing, easy mode experience in games. The "easy" mode in FTL is broken & non-existent, and the name of the so called "easy mode" is misleading. It's not meant for "yes" man of this board but for the potential buyers with the above mentioned preferences.

The game has definitely a potential but in order to be recommended, it has to be fixed first.

I like relaxing games and love this game its frustrating but when you rode a bike it was frustrating but when you fell did you just throw your bike away this is a game where you supposed to die and learn from your death and 4 hours isnt enough to actually learn how to play the game
VintageCake

Postby VintageCake » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:42 pm

LeonLeon wrote:I've given this game a chance of 3-4 hours on easy mode which was way too difficult, random and frustrating than it should. When my ship was almost entirely destroyed on a first turn, I gave up and uninstalled the game. Ludicrously not fun. I would definitely NOT recommend this game to those besides hardcore players and those who like to play games to become more stressed out.

You suck at video games, and have some nice anger management issues.
Why the hell would you just give it up and uninstall the game after dying a few times?
AzuredreamsXT

Postby AzuredreamsXT » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:08 pm

VintageCake wrote:
LeonLeon wrote:I've given this game a chance of 3-4 hours on easy mode which was way too difficult, random and frustrating than it should. When my ship was almost entirely destroyed on a first turn, I gave up and uninstalled the game. Ludicrously not fun. I would definitely NOT recommend this game to those besides hardcore players and those who like to play games to become more stressed out.

You suck at video games, and have some nice anger management issues.
Why the hell would you just give it up and uninstall the game after dying a few times?

Because he has the intelligence of a tree frog
boa13

Postby boa13 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:23 pm

Enough with the personal insults long after the original poster has left the thread! :evil: It brings nothing of value to the discussion, and reflects very poorly on those who spew them.

This thread has run its course, and then some. There are other threads discussing game difficulty. This one is now locked.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.