Additional DLC?

General discussion about the game.
Gorlom

Re: Additional DLC?

Postby Gorlom » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:07 pm

SushaBrancaleone wrote:
Dear Sir
I agree with most of what you said, which seemed sensible, also because most of what you said goes in line with indie gamer. the movie.

as you clearly watched that movie, you should also remember when they mentioned that the revenues are divided between the 2-3 devs and does not have to pay 1000 programers etc etc. so 30 million $ divided by 3 is still 10 million dollars per head. id sign anyday for a 1/10 of that sum...

Once the game is out it is only greed that prevents the devs from hiring more people to do justice to the game. Im not blaming them, but when you become a millionaire, how much can it cost to hire 10 programers to fix bugs and stuff?

where are you getting these numbers? are you making up their profits to use as examples? o.0

hiring new people and getting them up to speed wont just cost the devs money, but time as well. That would delay bug fixes etc etc. I'm unsure that it would really be worth it for the consumers.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:50 pm

SushaBrancaleone wrote:Dear Sir
I agree with most of what you said, which seemed sensible, also because most of what you said goes in line with indie gamer. the movie.

as you clearly watched that movie, you should also remember when they mentioned that the revenues are divided between the 2-3 devs and does not have to pay 1000 programers etc etc. so 30 million $ divided by 3 is still 10 million dollars per head. id sign anyday for a 1/10 of that sum...

Once the game is out it is only greed that prevents the devs from hiring more people to do justice to the game. Im not blaming them, but when you become a millionaire, how much can it cost to hire 10 programers to fix bugs and stuff?

I... what... millionaires? Are you trolling me?
1. No, I have not seen "indie gamer, the movie." I did not know there was a movie. It's basic logic, not movie quotes. Click the thing that says "linkback" for the original word-of-dev post.
2. As Gorlom said above, hiring is not just money but time as well (bringing new meat up to speed), ensuring that their goals mesh with Justin's and Matt's. And there's also an element of trust as well - the game is a labor of love between two guys who really wanted to see it happen. Throw more people at it and you might end up not liking the result*.
3. And maybe it's possible hiring extra people to handle the peripheral stuff just hasn't occurred to them. How long has it just been the two of them, dealing with whatever needs doing? I know I've found myself in that position more than once - "OMG, SO MUCH STUFF TO DO!" / "Dude, why don't you get some help?" / "...Help...? I can do that?"

So yeah, if you're going to play the "Devs are greedy" card, I'm going to have to lay a very definite foot down on that one. EA is "greedy." Activision is "greedy." Ubisoft is "greedy." These guys are just very overwhelmed. :roll:

*"Hey, y'know what would be cool? Another Indiana Jones movie!"
"But isn't Harrison Ford getting kinda... old?"
"So we'll throw in one of those younger-kid co-stars. Say it's his son or something."
"Did he even have a son?"
"Well there was that woman in Temple of Doom he shacked up with."
"That could work. Who did you have in mind?"
"How about that kid from the Transfomer movie? He's a big thing now ain't he?"
"Transfomers? Boss did you ever read the reviews on that?"
"Like I care, it made millions! Make it happen, Fred."
Kestral B

Postby Kestral B » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:14 pm

It really depends on what they are ready to get themselves in for.

Being a programmer and designing a game is one thing. Becoming a recruiter/engineering manager/CEO/CFO/marketing director of a new company based on the success of a freshly minted IP...is totally different. The set of skills required for success in the first is not the same as the second. And someone who loves doing one might really not enjoy the second.

I really hope they go big with FTL, bring in new people, ramp up production, and are successful/happy doing that. But I will understand 100% if they have serious reservations about that path. I've seen plenty of great engineers get "promoted" to manager and just not be as happy or successful in that role.

Also: It's been *less than a month* since release and there's already been a free patch that addressed both technical and interface issues. So they are apparently hard at work, and not "greedy" or lazy in the least. Honestly, they should take a few weeks off and take their families to Disney World or something - we can wait that long, especially if it means coming back from the edge of burning out.
bladexj

Postby bladexj » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:25 am

Gorlom wrote:
SushaBrancaleone wrote:the revenues are divided between the 2-3 devs and does not have to pay 1000 programers etc etc. so 30 million $ divided by 3 is still 10 million dollars per head. id sign anyday for a 1/10 of that sum...

where are you getting these numbers? are you making up their profits to use as examples? o.0

hiring new people and getting them up to speed wont just cost the devs money, but time as well. That would delay bug fixes etc etc. I'm unsure that it would really be worth it for the consumers.

They aren't real numbers, they are examples. I fixed my post, you did understand it properly. I don't understand how hiring more people is very time consuming and I'm sure they would think of it. I would just like to see some kind of announcement or news on what they are planning or when patches are released.
The Bushranger

Postby The Bushranger » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:58 am

bladexj wrote:I don't understand how hiring more people is very time consuming

...not sure if srs.

You have to advertise, you have to interview, you have to expand your office space, you have to oh god this guy eats saurkraut for breakfast and there's no window in this room, etc.

Instead of saying "devs are greedy bastards", how about we, I dunno, enjoy the game?
Oh wait, that's HERESY.
SushaBrancaleone

Postby SushaBrancaleone » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:54 pm

taking my words way to literaly there..

I like these guys dont get me wrong.
and about the revenue, indie game, the movie, interviews the devs of fez, braid, meatboy and couple more. I think its one of the the dudes from meatboy that mentions how having to split revenues between 2-3 people instead of 300 or 500 or whatever (not saying evenly distribuited among them .. :) ) makes for .. well for more money in their pockets.

Point is considering the huge amount and attention this game is recieving, leaving it like this, i feel would be negating the just love it deserves. 2 people creating a program is clearly duable, having those people have to take care of PM, legal issues, marketing issues, property issues, and so on is like asking a highly trained brain surgeon to stop operating and start managing a hospital, without having ever before studied economy.. It happens in the real world but it dont work to well. besides if one spent more than 8 years in uni studying medicine why make him do something he/she is not trained for?
They can't possibly beileve they can handle all of what .. has to be handled alone.. 8)
I just hope they realize that and make this game become more than what it already is cos im lovin it.. omg.. i didnt use those words..

ciao
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:50 pm

SushaBrancaleone wrote:taking my words way to literaly there..

I like these guys dont get me wrong.
and about the revenue, indie game, the movie, interviews the devs of fez, braid, meatboy and couple more. I think its one of the the dudes from meatboy that mentions how having to split revenues between 2-3 people instead of 300 or 500 or whatever (not saying evenly distribuited among them .. :) ) makes for .. well for more money in their pockets.

Point is considering the huge amount and attention this game is recieving, leaving it like this, i feel would be negating the just love it deserves. 2 people creating a program is clearly duable, having those people have to take care of PM, legal issues, marketing issues, property issues, and so on is like asking a highly trained brain surgeon to stop operating and start managing a hospital, without having ever before studied economy.. It happens in the real world but it dont work to well. besides if one spent more than 8 years in uni studying medicine why make him do something he/she is not trained for?
They can't possibly beileve they can handle all of what .. has to be handled alone.. 8)
I just hope they realize that and make this game become more than what it already is cos im lovin it.. omg.. i didnt use those words..

ciao

I can't be reading you right... It looks to me like you are trying to say that the devs (surgeon in your analogy) should hire someone to control their company and own everything they have done... so that they can continue to develop and earn money for someone else? :|
bladexj

Postby bladexj » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:24 pm

The Bushranger wrote:...not sure if srs.

You have to advertise, you have to interview, you have to expand your office space, you have to oh god this guy eats saurkraut for breakfast and there's no window in this room, etc.

Instead of saying "devs are greedy bastards", how about we, I dunno, enjoy the game?
Oh wait, that's HERESY.

I'm pretty sure no one in this thread said 'devs are greedy bastards', think before you misquote someone. We aren't talking about if the game is enjoyable or not, the fact we are here shows we enjoy it. The only thing you listed that takes time is interviews. They wouldn't need a larger office right away but could get one pretty soon if they were to.

Gorlom wrote:I can't be reading you right... It looks to me like you are trying to say that the devs (surgeon in your analogy) should hire someone to control their company and own everything they have done... so that they can continue to develop and earn money for someone else? :|

No you didn't read it right. He did not say they should get other people to take over the company. He said that they should hire more people to help on other things, so they can focus on developing FTL.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:01 pm

bladexj wrote:
Gorlom wrote:I can't be reading you right... It looks to me like you are trying to say that the devs (surgeon in your analogy) should hire someone to control their company and own everything they have done... so that they can continue to develop and earn money for someone else? :|

No you didn't read it right. He did not say they should get other people to take over the company. He said that they should hire more people to help on other things, so they can focus on developing FTL.

:| isn't that what I said? just spun to the opposite extreme of the way I spun it? ;)
They would essentially lose some control of their company either way. How much control they lose depends on what positions they unload on others. :?

I'd like to see him answer.
SushaBrancaleone

Postby SushaBrancaleone » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:17 pm

lets put it this way
I said hire?
when u pay some1 to do something they usually do what you tell them too and not the other way round, but hey maybe some bosses get bullied by their employees into doing what they want? in which parallel universe?

having some1 take care of the legal aspects doesn't mean they "take over", cos they would answer to "you" ...

i dont even know why im bothering ...