Additional DLC?

General discussion about the game.
Kieve

Re: Additional DLC?

Postby Kieve » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:31 pm

SushaBrancaleone wrote:lets put it this way
I said hire?
when u pay some1 to do something they usually do what you tell them too and not the other way round, but hey maybe some bosses get bullied by their employees into doing what they want? in which parallel universe?

having some1 take care of the legal aspects doesn't mean they "take over", cos they would answer to "you" ...

i dont even know why im bothering ...

Okay, let's put it this way. Would you trust a complete stranger to drive you to, I dunno, say the mall? (Taxis and public transit aside)
Because that's what you're suggesting here. There's more going on than just "You're my employee, do what I say." As Gorlom pointed out, it depends very heavily on what position they'd be hired for. You could very easily have a chain of events where putting someone else in the "driver's seat" of Subset might result in Justin & Matt having the rug pulled out from under their feet while they're busy with "dev stuff." And yes it's a worst-case scenario, but the point we're trying to make is that there is a lot to consider beyond simply "hire someone to handle all that annoying corporate-type stuff."
bladexj

Postby bladexj » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:55 pm

Kieve wrote:Okay, let's put it this way. Would you trust a complete stranger to drive you to, I dunno, say the mall? (Taxis and public transit aside)
Because that's what you're suggesting here. There's more going on than just "You're my employee, do what I say." As Gorlom pointed out, it depends very heavily on what position they'd be hired for. You could very easily have a chain of events where putting someone else in the "driver's seat" of Subset might result in Justin & Matt having the rug pulled out from under their feet while they're busy with "dev stuff." And yes it's a worst-case scenario, but the point we're trying to make is that there is a lot to consider beyond simply "hire someone to handle all that annoying corporate-type stuff."

Do you even understand the concept of a company? People you hire don't just do whatever, they do what the employer tells them to. Yes "You're my employee, do what I say." is exactly how it works. If employees don't do what they are hired for, they are fired. They will still completely own the company , unless they get partners.
You're suggesting the devs are completely incompetent and can't run a company. I'm sure they can take care of a few employees.
Last edited by bladexj on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:10 pm

bladexj wrote:Do you even understand the concept of a company? People you hire don't just do whatever, they do what the employer tells them to. Yes "You're my employee, do what I say." is exactly how it works. If employees don't do what they are hired for, they are fired. They will still completely own the company , unless they get partners.
You're suggesting the devs are completely incompetent and can't run a company. I'm sure they can take care of a few employees.

BTW, do you understand what quotation marks (") are used for? Because you misquote someone every time you use them.

I really liked the surgeon likeness because it looked to me like he was presenting it like a bad example, but at the same time wanted Justin and Matthew (the surgeons in the analogy) to manage their "hospital" or company without the quotation marks...

I don't believe that you can just hire someone and say something vague like "handle marketing/legal/technical support" without any orientation or micromanaging. That they will be able to focus on only development if they have employees.

I think there is more to having and running a company than you would have me believe.
I don't think hiring people would speed things up for Justin and Matthew. I think there would be too many things to deal with concerning the new staff that things would actually go slower.
bladexj

Postby bladexj » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:27 pm

Gorlom wrote:I really liked the surgeon likeness because it looked to me like he was presenting it like a bad example, but at the same time wanted Justin and Matthew (the surgeons in the analogy) to manage their "hospital" or company without the quotation marks...

I don't believe that you can just hire someone and say something vague like "handle marketing/legal/technical support" without any orientation or micromanaging. That they will be able to focus on only development if they have employees.

I think there is more to having and running a company than you would have me believe.
I don't think hiring people would speed things up for Justin and Matthew. I think there would be too many things to deal with concerning the new staff that things would actually go slower.

They would obviously hire someone qualified to do a job. I don't even think they need marketing/legal/technical people yet, just more devs and maybe a web manager. In the long term I believe more people working with them would be beneficial if they plan to keep working on FTL or future projects.
Last edited by bladexj on Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
splette

Postby splette » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:26 pm

Guys, your conversation is getting silly.

The way I see it, the game must be financially quite a success for the developers. And rightly so, it's an addictive game and at 9-10$ it's well priced. The question is what are they going to do with it? I really hope they will invest some time and effort into (free) updates that not just fix bugs but also add some content to make this game even more awesome.

I don't know if it makes sense for them to hire someone. But probably they don't even have to employ someone, they could simply work with a freelancer on a project basis. I remember another kickstarter project about a space game with a similar design of their space ships. They were looking for an graphic artist who can draw them a few space ships in that style. So, I don't think it necessarily takes time for the devs to 'bring someone up to speed' if it's a well defined thing they are looking for. 'Here's xxx $, give me some space ship designs...'

(Btw, I'm quite a fan of Introversion Software. I also liked their graphics style a lot (especially of Darwinia). For their newest project, Prison Architect, they hired an artist after they liked the style of another game he did. Therefore, their new game looks a lot dofferent from their other games.)
SushaBrancaleone

Postby SushaBrancaleone » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:41 pm

splette. you deserve a huge, squishy, mushy hug.
thank you for speakign some sense
Real

Postby Real » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:56 pm

I think the point that's being missed is that when you make a game, you don't actually owe the players anything above what they paid for. I believe that everyone who put money into Kickstarter received what was stated that they'd receive, so pretending to be able to tell the devs what they can use that money on is...Well, I won't start anything, but you know what it is.

Two guys get together and make an amazing game that we love. They spent months and months on it, then it's done.

The new age of big companies offering all this DLC to gut you for extra cash doesn't mean that everyone has to cough up extra content after a game is out. When Ocarina of Time came out, you just played it. You didn't bitch out Nintendo for using your money instead of adding some more temples. To boot, they actually came out and said that they'd worked very hard and were feeling very burnt out. Does that mean anything?
Ethelwulf

Postby Ethelwulf » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:28 pm

Donavan wrote:Why is everyone so concerned with "DLC". DLC is bull shit as far as I'm concerned. You know what i would like is game updates/patches that introduce new content.

"game updates/patches that introduce content"

I will assume you download this, yes?

Downloadable Content... DLC....

WOAH! Why are we concerned with DLC when what we want, is DLC.....
NightReflection

Postby NightReflection » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:54 am

Sorry to rehash an earlier point, but about paying for DLC, I'm all for it as long as it is a reasonable price.

As mentioned by others in this thread, when you buy the game, you already have what you paid for DLC should only be compulsory if it is expected, in general at launch. So unless you are buying an MMO, or DLC was specifically mentioned at launch (where you often end up paying subscription anyway), I don't see how the devs should feel compelled to provide it. (Paraphrasing Totalbiscuit here).

As for paying for it. I work a month, I get a salary. If my boss expects me to work another month, I expect to be paid for that too. If my job suddenly requires me to come in an extra day a week indefinitely, I will demand pay to match. (well, maybe not in this economy, but you get the point).
I will demand this even if I am on some sickly high salary, why? Because I feel I have earned the salary in the first place.
The devs have given us a great game. It is their responsibility to patch it to the point where it works - you buy a car, it doesn't work, you take it back and expect a refund/free repairs, however, if you suddenly decide you want tinted windows, you expect to pay extra.
Regardless of how rich they are, I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to spend hours working on extra content for free. Although, it does make good business sense to keep the cost of DLC down, otherwise no-one will buy it.

Also, they did a good job with FTL. Do you want them to do any more games? Would you expect those for free? Would you expect them to develop tons of free DLC as well as a new game?
Bear in mind, while millions are a lot to live off, when it comes to investing, they can vanish very quickly.

Re hiring staff - this is not as cut-and-dried as it seems. I would be interested in the input of someone who actually has recruited their own staff.
Tyrisbel

Postby Tyrisbel » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:57 am

Just came here to say this: There's a lot of anti-dlc talk here, and that the devs should provide free content updates. I just wanted to mention that DLC makes it commercially viable for them to continue develop the IP. I know it's not in the spirit of indie gaming, but when indie gaming gets really successful, it becomes triple-A gaming and money is required to compete on that level. Employees, marketing, testing. It amazes me that two people produced such a slick and addictive little game, and I'd be happy to throw my money at them for DLC, so they can possibly hire more, produce more which means I get to play more. DLC is a profit making concept, a scheme to get more money out of us yes. But this is not EA flogging non-content, or Bethesda selling us Horse Armor. This a start-up enterprise that needs encouraging, and I for one am totally for it.