Next FTL more focus on "melee" combat?

General discussion about the game.
Fluzing

Next FTL more focus on "melee" combat?

Postby Fluzing » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:55 am

I love this game. It might be small, but the execution could not be better. However, I do feel that the melee combat part of the game is somewhat underdeveloped. I wouldn't mind equiping my crew with weapons, shields and armor that I find on away missions, or actually be involved in some of the away missions. A game that comes to mind that for me did this right is Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday on the Sega Mega Drive.

It would add an extra layer to the game and it might be difficult to implement, but I do feel a lot can be improved on that section. The level of control does not have to be as high as in Jagged Alliance or Buck Rogers for instance, as being able to issue simple commands on where to move in a base or a planet might be enough for a good dose of fun.
Kaerius

Re: Next FTL more focus on "melee" combat?

Postby Kaerius » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:20 pm

In this regard I am looking forward to North Star, which is at least promising to be a space trader with turn-based combat in the xcom vein. How it actually turns out is anyone's guess, there's very little information to be found on it so far apart from some screenshots.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:42 pm

Kaerius wrote:In this regard I am looking forward to North Star, which is at least promising to be a space trader with turn-based combat in the xcom vein. How it actually turns out is anyone's guess, there's very little information to be found on it so far apart from some screenshots.

where can I find anything about it or these screenshots you speak of? google and wikipedia doesn't want to play nice with me.
Kaerius

Postby Kaerius » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:01 pm

Fluzing

Postby Fluzing » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:13 pm

Looks promising, but I fear such a system is too complex and would quickly become the main focus of the game, while it is only part of the fun. A melee battle should not take more time than a space battle.