wanting more

General discussion about the game.
SushaBrancaleone

wanting more

Postby SushaBrancaleone » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:33 pm

Wow
well thx to start with to both of you Mr. Ma and Mr. Davis.
This is a breath of fresh air for videogames, and it is also the genre I have been waiting for so long. So thank you very much for that, I was begining to think that at the age of 32 videogames were begining to bore me.
You proved me wrong, It is not I, who have lost passion for a lifelong hobby that maybe should be left to "kids", but its the big developpers who took the fun out of an incredibly creative media, which holds great potential for things as vast as, beauty, art, empathy, immersion etc etc.

At this point, I just want more FTL, and sadly I also want it asap. not because i just want more (well that too) but mostly because in todays scenario I dont want ftl to be forgotten, it needs to become the starting step of a new genre, I really hope you guys can cook up some new content in some reasonable time.

This is what I don't understand in the videogaming industry. Once you have an engine and system working, why start over and create a new world/game instead of capitalizing on a product which is already there and has minimal costs...

I for one want more content, not more graphics.

Again, thx for a great game, hope to see more of you guys around soon.

ta da.

Susha
Aerowind

Re: wanting more

Postby Aerowind » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:56 pm

Most companies do do what you've said...they just charge you full price for it.

How many changes do you think they make to the annual Madden game every year? Or to every COD game?

Or if you mean solely improve the same game, there's a lot of that as well. WoW is constantly adding more content and milking its customers for it.

Regardless, there are still great games out there, you just have to look for them. Might I suggest flipping through all of the games in the indie genre on Steam? There's tons of good stuff there, most of it under 10 bucks.
SushaBrancaleone

Postby SushaBrancaleone » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:38 pm

you mean expansions?
nah in the years its become clear to me that new game dynamics are more important to devs than expanding content, yet id still rather play WoW than try a new mmorpg with less content. Swtor showed me that, and tbh that genre is as stale as a pond of tar... gw2 is the freshest breath of .. unfresh air the genre has seen in a while, and its just minor changes that make the experience "easier/userfirendly" ...

U mentioned patching also?
i dunno, lately, according to blizzard and biohazard patching is all about implementing stuff later which you should have implemented earlier (aka at launch). I thought it was about fixing bugs, which i thought was what beta testers do, but hell i'd rather gief a hand to a greedy game developper than a greedy football manager (cos i dont care about football), which btw is the moral reason I pay for the media I appreciate. even if i stream a movie and i really like it i'll buy it. Resident evil 5 (movie) is one of those things that doesn't deserve any compensation whatsoever so it will just stay in my history list and never get a euro from me..
nonetheless, patching is expected (free) exactly as spelling corrections of a second edition of any published book is expected. the fact that customers are being used to find bugs is a convenience of the dev. not the customer and may i remind you that I rarely remember having to patch a game before 2003 (hint)

and the indie section of steam
is interesting. as is the fact that indie devs can compete in a sector of the market that is already ripe of mario's and sonic the hedgehog.

I find FTL to be fresh both in gameplay and in setting/story.
take SWTOR for example, they took an old franchise (somebody else's idea) and the mmorpg game dynamics (somebody elses idea) and slapped it on the market, boosted it with more advertizement than is sensible and they barely made 3 million sales, that flopped down to >1 million in 2 months... guess what, that what happens when the only idea you have is "lets make money"... I can just see how swtor was invented by marketing people.. "yeah, lets buy that guys idea and that other guys idea and we'll have 2 bags of $"
People in marketing are the modern equivalent of king Mida, with the only difference that they turn into shit everything they touch.
Boosting an idea requires for an idea to be there. WoW had 10 million users way before we started seeing adds on tv about it. Gaming magazines were,nt talking about WoW cos blizzard wasnt inviting the press over for long stays at luxory hotels gargantuosly decorated with semi undressed "hostesses"... . You know why they weren't doing it? cos they didn't need advertizment. You know why? cos they had much better, a real idea. i played wow for 2 expansions and stopped playing before i felt i was being milked.
the indie section in steam is fine, it just doesnt meet my needs as a gamer, cant wait for the first mmoRTS that is not a broweser game..

but thx for the advice anyway
Darkfyre

Postby Darkfyre » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:56 pm

If you enjoy ftl, why not give some full roguelikes a try? Don't knock them before you try them. And most of them are free!
SushaBrancaleone

Postby SushaBrancaleone » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:09 pm

??

whats that?
Kirbypowered

Postby Kirbypowered » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:51 pm

Well, I don't actually know what gets a game defined as a roguelike, but it at least originally meant games that were like Rogue (a fairly old game, I believe). I doubt I could actually explain it well, probably best to just look it up.

A couple examples I'm aware of are Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup and Nethack. If you're interested in the genre I'd recommend trying out the first of the two first because it has a fairly good tutorial (and I love it). In terms of "more content, not graphics," I believe you'll be quite pleased.
tacticurn

Postby tacticurn » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:23 am

Dwarf Fortress Adventure mode ;)
boa13

Postby boa13 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:09 am

If you're interested in a rogue-like that is not too hard to begin with, does not require spoilers to advance meaningfully in the game, is not too easy to master, but still quite beatable, and can be controlled by mouse and keyboard, try Brogue. :)

By the way, screenshots don't do justice to its animated faux-ASCII graphics.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
White Elk

Postby White Elk » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:39 am

i've still got lots of the core game left to play. Then with the mods already complete, i foresee a great deal more play ahead. And that's just the mods which are completed, many more are yet to come. ...then there is my own mods, of which i daydream of as i play. i gotta buy another copy of this game to gift a friend who otherwise wouldn't buy it (he's more of a miser than me !). Just so i can support the developers. This game is worth double or triple what i paid for it ! ..at least !! :D
SushaBrancaleone

Postby SushaBrancaleone » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:23 am

it doesn't look to me like the rogue games have anything of a RTS, those are traditional RPGs, zelda style (too much in terms of retro graphics for me), besides im already bored with RTS (not to mention RPG) as im looking for a perpetuosly online RTS with some elements of RPG. Moreover, i have exhausted my interest for goblins and elfs, I'm strictly looking for a sci fi ambientation.

@ white elf: totaly agree