[SUGGESTION]Cloak Changes

General discussion about the game.
GreenZanbato

[SUGGESTION]Cloak Changes

Postby GreenZanbato » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:09 pm

Right now imo the cloak feels really out of place and not useful enough for it's cost. Sure it let's you fire off your first shot before they can and you can avoid those pesky super weapons, but you can do just fine without it as well. Basically, instead of having cloak be activated, last for a bit, then recharge, it would be continuous. It would add 10 evasion for each power bar (max 4), however, when cloaked, your weapons charge slower and if you fire, the cloak turns off for 15-20 seconds. This is just a rough idea so what do you guys think?
Drasha

Re: [SUGGESTION]Cloak Changes

Postby Drasha » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:12 pm

This would make stealth ships horrible. Stealth is really powerful as it is now. It doesn't really need to be changed.
send me a message with a link if you see spam and I will take care of it.
GreenZanbato

Postby GreenZanbato » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:17 pm

Stealth ship is the hardest ship to use for most people. With this you would have a rough first few battles but with max engines, cloak, and crew you could get up to 95% evasion. The stealth ship is supposed to have a different play style but right now it's just "Get shields ASAP!!" With this you could potentially beat the game without ever getting shields.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:23 pm

GreenZanbato wrote:Stealth ship is the hardest ship to use for most people. With this you would have a rough first few battles but with max engines, cloak, and crew you could get up to 95% evasion. The stealth ship is supposed to have a different play style but right now it's just "Get shields ASAP!!" With this you could potentially beat the game without ever getting shields.

I wish to direct your attention to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2689

Also what exactly is the point of having stealth if it goes down for 15-20 seconds each time you fire your weapons? :| Most weapons doesn't even have that long charge time. Your cloak would essentially be permanently disabled and there is nothing you can really do that makes any tactical sense? :?

(Furthermore I find the system functioning as extra engine bars to be rather boring prospect :( )
Last edited by Gorlom on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drasha

Postby Drasha » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:26 pm

People have beat the game with out shields. Also 95% standing evasion would break the game. I usually don't rush shields on a stealth ship as once you have a high leave stealth you can take care of things with out taking much damage. The only thing that really murders stealth ships is drones and asteroid fields where the damage is coming in to fast for bursts of evasion to help.
send me a message with a link if you see spam and I will take care of it.
GreenZanbato

Postby GreenZanbato » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:47 pm

I said it was a rough idea for a reason, also I was exaggerating a little with the stealth ship. Can you please try to think of a way it might work rather than completely dismiss the idea?
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:53 am

GreenZanbato wrote:I said it was a rough idea for a reason, also I was exaggerating a little with the stealth ship. Can you please try to think of a way it might work rather than completely dismiss the idea?

The function of Cloaking right now is essentially a short-term dodge to avoid the worst enemy salvos and to temporarily keep boarders off (if you see a crew heading for their teleporter room). What you're proposing changes the core function of Cloaking to be an Evasion buff, which would make any drone- or boarder-based ship completely untouchable, since it could just sit there dodging everything while drones and melee crew wreck the enemy ship with impunity.

I think the way Cloaking is currently implemented might not be perfect, but what you're proposing is just too exploitable to be a viable suggestion. The core idea fails, not the details of its implementation. :? No offense intended.
GreenZanbato

Postby GreenZanbato » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:18 pm

Kieve wrote:
GreenZanbato wrote:I said it was a rough idea for a reason, also I was exaggerating a little with the stealth ship. Can you please try to think of a way it might work rather than completely dismiss the idea?

The function of Cloaking right now is essentially a short-term dodge to avoid the worst enemy salvos and to temporarily keep boarders off (if you see a crew heading for their teleporter room). What you're proposing changes the core function of Cloaking to be an Evasion buff, which would make any drone- or boarder-based ship completely untouchable, since it could just sit there dodging everything while drones and melee crew wreck the enemy ship with impunity.

I think the way Cloaking is currently implemented might not be perfect, but what you're proposing is just too exploitable to be a viable suggestion. The core idea fails, not the details of its implementation. :? No offense intended.

No offense taken, this is the kind of reply I wanted.