Rebel pursuit in secret sector.

General discussion about the game.
Szyszkojad

Rebel pursuit in secret sector.

Postby Szyszkojad » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:35 am

Why are there rebels in the Crystal Sector ? Isn't it hidden from the rest of the galaxy ? Or after you open the portal the Crystals suddenly decide to let everyone in including an enormous fleet of obviously evil rebels that swiftly take over their home ? I mean wouldn't it be logical choice to just shut down the portal after you come in so that the rebels can't go after you ?
Doom Lich

Re: Rebel pursuit in secret sector.

Postby Doom Lich » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:25 am

The rebels are tracking you. The moment you jump to the crystal sector they can find it with no trouble. So in essence, you just forced the crystals to have to deal with the rebellion when otherwise they wouldn't have to.
Szyszkojad

Postby Szyszkojad » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:14 am

Isn't the crystal sector only accessible through the portal though ? If it isn't why didn't the crystal guy on my ship just tell me where to go ? It would save me a lot of runs (and some save scumming sadly :( )
swixel

Postby swixel » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:08 am

Szyszkojad wrote:Isn't the crystal sector only accessible through the portal though ? If it isn't why didn't the crystal guy on my ship just tell me where to go ? It would save me a lot of runs (and some save scumming sadly :( )

This isn't a hardscience SciFi universe (hello shields). So watch the movie "Jumper" for hints as to trails/residue/jumps-from-scars; also have a look at X-men for similar things.

Hardscience version is your captain left his space-age-GPS-enabled phone on. Should've taken the battery out.
xdiesp

Postby xdiesp » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:26 am

We should totally have a hardscience mod for FTL, possibly called Slower than Light. But wait, can we accept shields which are just polarization of the hull?
Hissatsu

Postby Hissatsu » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:44 am

Heh.

People misunderstand "science". Its not that it is impossible to travel at FTL speeds, it is that current science model only works when stuff travels slower than light. It is only appicable there. And in this model, it is impossible for macro object to reach light speed. But it may be possible, and if we find out how, we will just have another physics model that incorporates FTL travel.

The only true non-scientific part of the game is calling its energy weapons "lasers" while they are not. Actually, what the game calls "beam" weapons are supposed to be "lasers", since they look like one and behave like one, but energy weapons that shoot blobs of energy that travel at standart speeds should not be called lasers at all.

And not because lasers cannot travel at sub-luminal speeds, but because this just violates a widely-acknowedged term. Its ilke calling asteroids "planets", or calling red stars "oranges". Nothing uscientific, just misues of a term.
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:43 pm

Hissatsu wrote:Heh.

People misunderstand "science". Its not that it is impossible to travel at FTL speeds, it is that current science model only works when stuff travels slower than light. It is only appicable there. And in this model, it is impossible for macro object to reach light speed. But it may be possible, and if we find out how, we will just have another physics model that incorporates FTL travel.

The only true non-scientific part of the game is calling its energy weapons "lasers" while they are not. Actually, what the game calls "beam" weapons are supposed to be "lasers", since they look like one and behave like one, but energy weapons that shoot blobs of energy that travel at standart speeds should not be called lasers at all.

And not because lasers cannot travel at sub-luminal speeds, but because this just violates a widely-acknowedged term. Its ilke calling asteroids "planets", or calling red stars "oranges". Nothing uscientific, just misues of a term.

Pulsars?
Kaerius

Postby Kaerius » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:31 pm

Pulsars are supermassive black holes with a large accretion disc(centers of galaxies typically). The effect is not superluminal.

Note: FTL travel is theoretically possible(see alcubierre drive), by bending spacetime, but the energy requirements(in exotic matter) are truly astronomical. Also note that the existance of this exotic matter is hypothetical, or more specifically it is predicted by current models, but we've never had a sample of it.
Deepdark

Postby Deepdark » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:34 pm

Hissatsu wrote:Heh.

Plasma Weapon maybe, since they fire "bright" projectiles.
I would also be very happy to see O2 room changed to Life Support. Its pretty hard for me to imagine Rocks/Crystals breathing the same air as humans, not impossible tho.
Maze1125

Postby Maze1125 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:13 pm

Kaerius wrote:Pulsars are supermassive black holes with a large accretion disc(centers of galaxies typically).

No they aren't. Pulsars are rotating neutron stars.
There are such things as rotating black-holes, which can produce effects somewhat similar to pulsars, but they are not pulsars themselves.