Is there any point in suggestions? Do authors listen?

General discussion about the game.
Whale Cancer

Re: Is there any point in suggestions? Do authors listen?

Postby Whale Cancer » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:22 pm

Doom Lich wrote:
Whale Cancer wrote:
Hissatsu wrote:There is no way you can legally forbid someone to create a game engine that mimicks your engine, unless it is patented, and even then its not a crime to make it, but to use it (see how LAME works with MP3 patents). This is widely acknowledged practice that you remake or upgrade game engine, but either supply your own assets (graphics sounds music etc) or require original game to play. This was done countless times, for example:
- Transport Tycoon
- Doom, Hexen, Heretic, Strife etc
- Duke Nukem 3D
- Jagged Alliance 2

However, this is really not required if game authors are willing to listen to suggestions, and introduce at some point a way of external scripting, so that something they dont want to do could still be done by modders.

And Star Control II. But some of these have the support of the original company.

Also, games like zDoom don't distribute the original assets. So if you guys do entirely new sprites, that sidesteps the entire legal issue.

What overdrive is doing is it provides none of the assets actually. If you read the thread it basically states you'll need the original game installed because overdrive won't come with the assets.

That sounds grand, then. I read the thread when it first came out, but didn't review it for my comment.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
Hissatsu

Postby Hissatsu » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:24 pm

Well, that statement right there means that there wont be any real changes to the game people want, like, expanded combat system, expanded away missions system, more freeform gameplay, more variety (right now game is pretty much the same, events get old very fast and all that really changes is what weapons and augments you manage to get and how much luck you get in getting profitable encounters).

I welcome the ability to see where can i go from the node (saves you from a lot of trouble) but really, this game is awesome, but does get old pretty fast because as it is. It doesnt truly offer your a lot of difference each walkthrough, and no different modes or true replayability (like, compare the depth of FTL to the depth of Infra Arcana, or DoomRL, or CastlevaniaRL, and the amount of replayability there)

So yeah, not good news at all :( At least if they'd introduce proper modding tools and external scripting before "taking a break from FTL" that would be nice, so that people who want to mod could start modding, and keep the game fresh (with new events and game modes and stuff).
icepick

Postby icepick » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:41 pm

Hissatsu wrote:Well, that statement right there means that there wont be any real changes to the game people want

SOME people want.

Have a little patience before getting all pessimistic. We have no idea where the game is going yet.
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:53 pm

Hissatsu wrote:Well, that statement right there means that there wont be any real changes to the game people want...

...right now.

It is possible that they may "take a break" and never return, but it's equally likely that they may "take a break" and then return rejuvenated and with even more new ideas.