Into The Breach - The next game by Subset

General discussion about the game.
Sleeper Service

Into The Breach - The next game by Subset

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:59 pm

Yay its finally happening!

Trailer

Game Site

Seems to be an interpretation of the Advanced Wars formula with super dynamic combat/battlefields. Looks great to me and should work out well since there are few accessible turn based strategies things on steam IMO.

Can't wait!

Snerdaperds Interview
Does “Into the Breach” and FTL share a world, or are they separate universes entirely?
No comment.
:D

Shacknews Interview
In every scenario, players control a squad of three mechs. Those mechs will see players through to the end of the game, much like the ship they choose at the outset of an FTL outing. Also like FTL, Into the Breach's story about giant robots fighting giant aliens—known as the Vek—provides a jumping-off point from which Ma and Davis can launch gameplay scenarios.

Rock Paper Shotgun Interview
Crucially, Into the Breach is about clever use of positioning rather than simply overpowering the enemy. As you progress through the game, you’ll find or buy new weapons for your mechs, and some of the most useful aren’t damage-dealing at all. At least not directly. I saw a grappling hook causing all kinds of problems for the monstrous Vek, dragging them into fires, inland lakes and other hazards, or simply shifting them into a corner of the map where their attacks are ineffectual. It’s more like a variant of Chess, about control of space and sacrifice, than the rock paper scissors of Advance Wars.

Screens from the site:

mr_easy_money

Re: Into The Breach - The next game by Subset

Postby mr_easy_money » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:05 am

it looks great :D

sure it isn't the same cup of tea as FTL, but I do like the overall theme of it and I haven't really got the chance to play anything like advance wars so I don't have any sort of opinion on it.

just want to point out you said "tune based" instead of "turn based" and also...
... I was going to say if anyone's noticed the new icon at the beginning of the tab (on desktop) but then I didn't realize if you go to ftlgame.com, the whole website's been given a fresher look. if you go to FTL from the dropdown thing at the top of the page, you'll notice the tabs look like FTL buttons and there's even a link to the reddit forum r/ftlgame (or maybe that was already there :P)

anyways the main site's been given a makeover. the forums look the same as ever, except for the "Subset Games Home" link at the top since there are now two different games by subset games (obv, Into The Breach is not out yet).

and, if you're still reading this, if you go to http://subsetgames.com/faq.html#who , you'll notice all the new people working on Into The Breach, as well as Ben Prunty returning to work with subset for another game.

here is (apparently) a track for the game by Ben Prunty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awHepFu-YBk
shadowcrust

Postby shadowcrust » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:18 am

Woah, can't say I expected something like this! But it's right in my preferred type of games again, I've played them all! Battle Isle, History Line, Battle Isle II, Panzer General, Fantasy General, even Advance Wars... looking forward to Subset's implementation of square instead of hex strategy.
isla

Postby isla » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:31 pm

mr_easy_money wrote: I was going to say if anyone's noticed the new icon at the beginning of the tab (on desktop) but then I didn't realize if you go to ftlgame.com, the whole website's been given a fresher look. if you go to FTL from the dropdown thing at the top of the page, you'll notice the tabs look like FTL buttons and there's even a link to the reddit forum r/ftlgame (or maybe that was already there :P)

anyways the main site's been given a makeover. the forums look the same as ever, except for the "Subset Games Home" link at the top since there are now two different games by subset games (obv, Into The Breach is not out yet).

and, if you're still reading this, if you go to http://subsetgames.com/faq.html#who , you'll notice all the new people working on Into The Breach, as well as Ben Prunty returning to work with subset for another game.

here is (apparently) a track for the game by Ben Prunty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awHepFu-YBk

I'm so glad you like changes to the site! :)
You're completely correct in that the whole site has gotten a makeover, and the FTL pages have a random ship at the top of the page each time you reload it.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:48 am

isla wrote:...and the FTL pages have a random ship at the top of the page each time you reload it.

that's pretty neat. I see the crystal cruiser's been left out as well as the federation cruiser (both with good reasons I figure, the crystal cruiser's quest is long and winded, how it's unlock text is pretty vague, and needs victories with type A and B of every other ship to unlock otherwise. the federation cruiser is sort of a high-ranking version of the starting ship)

also how only the type A's have been selected makes sense --> don't want to spoil the type B's and C's ;)

EDIT:
I like how the blue text becomes yellow when you select it, or when you go to a subsection via link at the top of a page (e.g.
http://subsetgames.com/faq.html . :edit: guess a direct link to a subsection doesn't work, why should it. if you go to the faq and click a link for a subsection like "Who are you?" it'll all be highlighted yellow)

something else more important to point out, the link to the German language mod page seems to not go anywhere, not because the link is invalid, but because it seems to have been removed by the author.
CrashSanders

Postby CrashSanders » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:30 pm

So it's basically Front Mission-esque tactical rpg/strategy with the ability to affect the terrain? Neat!

Also all those creatures and vehicles look pretty delicious...

My hand slipped... xD
Mendel

Postby Mendel » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:35 pm

Well this is weird. I just watched a one hour long subset games development talk on youtube and started playing ftl again no more than three days ago. and I went through the forums to see if there was anything new and didnt find anything. and this game has been announced two days ago?? Wow. anyways. I Love games like this too so I am quite eagerly waiting!

Wait, those creatures look like... are those made of lego bricks? :o

Well, to be brutally honest: When I saw this announcement I was stunned for a while, then almost screamed out loud like a little girl. Then I got a bit emotional and almost started crying. (¤"#%* this. Im a 34 year old Finnish man so usually I keep my cool.) But this is the kind of spirit brought by a new game announcement from a company that has made only one really, really awesome game so far.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:31 pm

Mendel wrote:Wait, those creatures look like... are those made of lego bricks?

yeah I'd say he's relatively famous in here, because he's the one behind the Lego Ideas (Cuusoo) "campaign" which got 10k supporters, but sadly wasn't approved. you can find all the details here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/212680/d ... 957851982/ , and so since it wasn't officially approved you can buy the instructions if you really wanted to build them.

the kestrel's free on the site if anyone wants to see how the instructions look. they're just instructions, but you could go on Pick-A-Brick on the lego store for the bricks
CrashSanders

Postby CrashSanders » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:34 am

Thanks for explanation, mr_easy_money! =)

Anyway yes, I run a Gumroad store where I sell FTL ship instructions in bundles and separately, and the Kestrel is Free and obtainable via Dropbox! in addition to the Kestrel the file also contains bonus instructions for Mass Effect Normandy SR2 of my own design.
All of the models were checked, re-checked and double-checked for "legal" part+color combinations, so they are very much ready to be built.
I wouldn't recommend using the official LEGO Pick-A-Brick service and instead go to http://www.Bricklink.com
I_am_person

Postby I_am_person » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:27 am

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned x-com here. Of course right now with the fancy and advanced #2 having relatively recently come out, it might not associate as well, but for me personally the moment I saw the pictures the first thing that popped up into my mind was a map from XCOM-UFO Defense. Anyway, what I'm trying to say with my comparison is that I hope it'll be hard as what I just mentioned above.
Injustice Rains From Above!