Bought Steam version; considering getting DRM-free version; have questions.

General discussion about the game.
Sixfortyfive

Bought Steam version; considering getting DRM-free version; have questions.

Postby Sixfortyfive » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:11 pm

So I realize now that I sort of did this backwards since buying directly from this website would have gotten me both in the first place, but I don't care about paying again if I have to tbh. Already put 170+ hours into it, so I've gotten more than my money's worth. Anyway:

- Will buying from the website give me another Steam key, and if so, can I just pass that along to a friend?
- Would both versions use the same save file? If not, is there anything I need to do to port my unlocks from Steam over to the other one?

Love the game btw. Ten thumbs up.
meklozz

Re: Bought Steam version; considering getting DRM-free version; have questions.

Postby meklozz » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:27 pm

1. Well, the website (humble bundle) always says the keys are for personal use, and you're not buying multiple copies, just one on different platforms (yes, it gives a steam key), so take that as you will..

2. They will use the same save. I'm not sure if steam won't decide to overwrite your DRM-free progress or whatever, though, after many thread of people losing their saves (or having a corrupted one brought back and back and back) I don't trust it with my FTL saves (disabled the cloud).

And while on the subject of the steam version, there isn't actually any technical difference. You don't need to run steam to launch it, and though I don't know what you're allowed or not allowed to do with it, it will work offline or wherever.
Danielsmith

Re: Bought Steam version; considering getting DRM-free version; have questions.

Postby Danielsmith » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:58 am

Please Follow this,
1. Well, the website (humble bundle) always says the keys are for personal use, and you're not buying multiple copies, just one on different platforms (yes, it gives a steam key), so take that as you will..

2. They will use the same save. I'm not sure if steam won't decide to overwrite your DRM-free progress or whatever, though, after many thread of people losing their saves (or having a corrupted one brought back and back and back) I don't trust it with my FTL saves (disabled the cloud).