Dead Again. Sucks, Right?

General discussion about the game.
Obz3hL33t

Dead Again. Sucks, Right?

Postby Obz3hL33t » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:53 pm

The title of this thread is special: I crafted a clever mnemonic to help me remember the name of the most hated ship in all the universe.

I finally beat the boss with the dang thing, too.

By pure luck I got lots of mantises and rocks to go boarding with plus a scrap recovery arm. Was this ship designed for boarding? Not even close. It was designed for dying from what I can tell. As crippled in as so many ways as it is the ability to board and thus earn some extra money (plus the scrap arm) means after the repair bills you can slowly un-cripple the ship, maybe even have it in decent shape by Sector 8.

I'll talk more about it after someone guesses what ship I'm referring to.

If you've ever said to yourself, "Thank goodness the enemy ship is powering up its FTL and leaving ... I get to live another day!" you know what ship this is.
If you've ever seen a store and thought, "OMG repairs!" instead of "hmm, maybe they'll have a BL-2," you know what ship it is.
If you've ever taken 6 hull damage to win a fight and thought, "Another successful mission! Debriefing and cocktails!" because nothing hit the weapons room you know exactly what ship I'm talking about.
If beam drones fill you with dread ... if your weapons officer desperately needs experience but gets almost none ... if you can tell you're going to die just from looking at the enemy ship ...yup, you've flown the space coffin.

Remember, your hint is "Dead Again. Sucks, Right?" There is only one ship that fits that description. :P
When you've been l33t for as long as me, there's only one kind of l33t you could possibly be ...
stylesrj

Re: Dead Again. Sucks, Right?

Postby stylesrj » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:56 pm

Remember, your hint is "Dead Again. Sucks, Right?" There is only one ship that fits that description.

Ummm... the Simo-H? :P
Obz3hL33t

Postby Obz3hL33t » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:59 pm

Does that stand for Stuck in My Own Hell? (I actually have no idea what the Simo-H is ... but if it were this ship that's what the letters would stand for.)
When you've been l33t for as long as me, there's only one kind of l33t you could possibly be ...
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:12 pm

The Simo-H is like the DA-SR12 except well... take out the Cloaking Device, replace it with a Drone Control and 3 Drone Slots... replace that Glaive Beam with a 1-power 2 shot laser (Charge laser)... and throw in a Shield Drone and Anti Combat Drone.

Sounds good? Hell no. At least you can cloak with the DA-SR12. If an enemy ship fires at you while flying the Simo-H, one shot will take out your Shield Drone's shield. usually the laser before the Artemis missile they'll fire at the same time.
Obz3hL33t

Postby Obz3hL33t » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:26 pm

I haven't unlocked the Simo-H yet. I'll trade you the shield and anti-drones for a defense drone Mk.2 ... pretty please? :P
Obz3hL33t

Postby Obz3hL33t » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:32 pm

Silly me, there it is, right at the bottom of the list. It must've unlocked when I finished Dead Again - Sucks Right. I was so excited to try out the crystal ship (an easy win after Dead Again) I completely overlooked the Simo-H.

It looks like a real dog all right. Shield drones are nice, but they're no MkII Defense Drone.
Arthur Dent

Postby Arthur Dent » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:14 pm

The DA-SR 12 isn't that bad I think. It starts with level 2 cloaking. First thing to do should be getting a level 3. Once you have a level 3 cloaking, you can cloak BEFORE an enemy beam drone can fire off, and the cloaking will last long enough for the Glaive beam to charge. If you place the beam right, you can thereby destroy any level-1 shield ship before they even fire one shot of their weapons.

The only opponents against which you will have trouble are those with a cloaking device of their own - and of course Zoltans, which is why I'd recommend staying out of Zoltan sectors.
Obz3hL33t

Postby Obz3hL33t » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:33 pm

That's not actually true: there's a several-second window between when your [level 3] cloak falls and the GB fires. Pretty much all the level-1 weapons have time to fire within that window, although you can usually get a beam shot at least started before the enemy weapons hit you.

Beam drones are the worst, though. Once your cloak drops you're a sitting duck. Fire drones are pretty bad, too. And combat drones. Any drone that does bad things is actually pretty devastating.

A fully-experienced weapon officer can narrow the window of vulnerability significantly, but how exactly is your weapon officer going to train? The GB goes off once every 26 seconds. It would take something like forever.
Arthur Dent

Postby Arthur Dent » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:56 pm

Well, an untrained weapons officer gives 10 per cent. That's 22.5 instead of 25 seconds. It's true, there are 7.5 seconds left to cover after the 15 seconds of cloaking.

Still. It takes a few seconds until the beam drone will fire the first time. If you time your cloaking right (ie start just as the drone is about to fire), the drone will only hit you once before you get to fire your Glaive beam. 1-2 damage is for certain, but your chance to win the fight is still pretty good. You will lose only if the beam drone hits the weapons room. In all other cases, you win.
Obz3hL33t

Postby Obz3hL33t » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:33 am

That's an "if" large enough to fly a Kestrel through. The cavernous weapons room is 4 squares of pure "shoot me".

I did beat the Mothership with Dead Again, but that doesn't make the ship suck any less. I will say this: a level 1 shield is like the heavens parting and angels singing. If you can get a level 1 shield and still manage to upgrade your weapons before the GB gets out-leveled you'll do all right. That's a lot of scrap needed in a very short time, but it's doable.