The Keyboard Challenge!

General discussion about the game.
dyno101

The Keyboard Challenge!

Postby dyno101 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:59 am

I was thinking of FTL and its common challenges (Shield-less, no-pause, etc.), and suddenly thought, "Aren't most actions in FTL performable with the keyboard?"
And that's where this challenge lies! The Keyboard Challenge is a challenge where you only use the mouse when absolutely necessary. (If using the mouse primarily is second nature, flip it over.)
This is less of a challenge of giving yourself an in-game disadvantage, and more focused on using set of controls you aren't used to using.
The only times you are permitted to use a mouse is:

1. During battle to target the enemy ship (Keep the mouse inside the red box that surrounds the enemy ship!)

2. To select a beacon to jump to.

3. To move crew.

Any other mouse action invalidates your run!
Last edited by dyno101 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There isn't good or bad. There's just insane."
"Blamsauce!"
Gencool

Re: The Keyboard Challenge!

Postby Gencool » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:18 am

Isn't it impossible to move crew without the mouse?

Anyway, this is pretty interesting timing:

I actually just put together a script that stops you from being able to move the mouse over any of the systems or jump/store buttons, meaning power control etc all have to be done with the keyboard.

It's originally for a CoOp game mode, but can be used standalone for this challenge.
                                                                           (Screen shot of the CoOp window, since I haven't got one for the Script)

The script uses Auto Hotkey which is free and awesome.

Edit:

The mod now has it's own page-
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=29636
Last edited by Gencool on Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
dyno101

Re: The Keyboard Challenge!

Postby dyno101 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:07 pm

Gencool wrote:Isn't it impossible to move crew without the mouse?

Anyway, this is pretty interesting timing:

I actually just put together a script that stops you from being able to move the mouse over any of the systems or jump/store buttons, meaning power control etc all have to be done with the keyboard.

It's originally for a CoOp game mode, but can be used standalone for this challenge.
                                                                           (Screen shot of the CoOp window, since I haven't got one for the Script)

The script uses Auto Hotkey which is free and awesome.

There should be an official post going up soon (it's currently caught under spam protection and awaiting a moderator), but you can download it if you want:
http://www.puppetsquid.com/FTL/CoOp/GencoolsFTLCoOp.zip

((It's only built to run in Windowed mode for now, just so you know))

1. I didn't think of that! Thank you, I'll edit the post.

2. Very cool co-op! I wish you good luck.
"There isn't good or bad. There's just insane."
"Blamsauce!"