Re: Whining

Postby Scase » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:36 am

nfiea2 wrote:
Just stop lying
I've obvisouly played this game more than you have
I'm right
the OP is right
you are factually incorrect

the statement that the game is more about what you choose in the first sectors being more important than what the random number generator spawns for you is flase

false

100% false

play the game

You sound a little angry bud.

I could care less if you've played the game more than me, congrats on having more free time want a cookie?

The point remains the same, the game is meant to have difficulty. Most rogue-likes operate in roughly the same manner. If it's such a huge issue then maybe you guys need a different type of game.

You complain about the dodge rate of the enemy and then give the solution to the problem one sentence later (boarding party) where is the issue? What's that, don't have a boarding party? So then you must have spent your scrap elsewhere, maybe on getting your own dodge rate up. I've had mine at 51% and 4 shields as well as maxed out weapons. How is that any less fair than the AI having 50%+ evade? Why should the player intrinsically be given an advantage over the AI?

It's ok to have a retardedly stacked ship just plow through 90% of the ships you encounter but, as soon as something becomes difficult you piss moan and complain it's broken? At that point why not go use a trainer if the game is too tough.

Every Ion storm I've been in the opposing ships have been knocked down the same as my ship, you don't realize it since you don't see the AI constantly shuffling power around to the systems that need it at the time.

The game spawning bad sectors is a bug ffs not the game being too difficult.

Everything you have said amounts to whining like a petulant child that doesn't have everything go exactly their way. If it wasn't for the game throwing you curveballs like strong ship compositions the difficulty would be an absolute joke.
jamotide

Postby jamotide » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:48 am

Scase wrote:I could care less if you've played the game more than me

Gotta love people who played a game 50 to 100 hours and then complain how horrible it is,though.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:59 am

Scase wrote:You sound a little angry bud.

You should see the first post he even made on this forum. He complains about Matthew being rude because he signed his post "cheers, Matthew" and trying to help the guy. :|

He constantly refers to people performing sexual favors to the devs. :roll:

I think he has 2 posts out of 25 where he does not insult someone or use explicit language. :?
nfiea2

Postby nfiea2 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:10 am

Scase wrote:
nfiea2 wrote:
Just stop lying
I've obvisouly played this game more than you have
I'm right
the OP is right
you are factually incorrect

the statement that the game is more about what you choose in the first sectors being more important than what the random number generator spawns for you is flase

false

100% false

play the game

You sound a little angry bud.

I could care less if you've played the game more than me, congrats on having more free time want a cookie?

The point remains the same, the game is meant to have difficulty. Most rogue-likes operate in roughly the same manner. If it's such a huge issue then maybe you guys need a different type of game.

You complain about the dodge rate of the enemy and then give the solution to the problem one sentence later (boarding party) where is the issue? What's that, don't have a boarding party? So then you must have spent your scrap elsewhere, maybe on getting your own dodge rate up. I've had mine at 51% and 4 shields as well as maxed out weapons. How is that any less fair than the AI having 50%+ evade? Why should the player intrinsically be given an advantage over the AI?

It's ok to have a retardedly stacked ship just plow through 90% of the ships you encounter but, as soon as something becomes difficult you piss moan and complain it's broken? At that point why not go use a trainer if the game is too tough.

Every Ion storm I've been in the opposing ships have been knocked down the same as my ship, you don't realize it since you don't see the AI constantly shuffling power around to the systems that need it at the time.

The game spawning bad sectors is a bug ffs not the game being too difficult.

Everything you have said amounts to whining like a petulant child that doesn't have everything go exactly their way. If it wasn't for the game throwing you curveballs like strong ship compositions the difficulty would be an absolute joke.

straight up I only read until you started saying that all of the flaws I point out are rouglike features
you've never even played rouge

the game is too easy so they made it take more than 1 hour by making the unlocking of ships a nightmare and and randomly adding unsolvable problems(Poorly laid out sectors, over powered ships, events that have chances well above 1 in 10 to kill one of your crew members in a text event)

face it dude
these aren't features

they took a really simple neat idea; one that easily could have been a flash game; and turned it into some super complex program that doesn't work with like 1/9 peoples computers

then after all of their work compilcating the idea they needed to streath out the final product because no one wants galaga 2

and btw gorlom if your eyes weren't sealed shut with dev sauce you would know that mattew insulted that paying customer by saying that he was too stupid to know what minimum system requirements were

so i tore him a new hole to interface with customers
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:29 pm

nfiea2 wrote:and btw gorlom if your eyes weren't sealed shut with dev sauce you would know that mattew insulted that paying customer by saying that he was too stupid to know what minimum system requirements were

so i tore him a new hole to interface with customers

:lol: He hardly insulted the customer when he suggested what the most likely problem was. How is the problem supposed to be solved if the most likely reason are tabu to mention?
You constantly chose to interpret things in the most hostile manner possible. which is why the next post in that thread assumes you to be a troll. you are constantly flaming or flamebaiting. :roll:
I find it ironic that you blame me for closing my eyes :P

Have you ever looked at examples from different technical supports? There are some real horror stories out there. You can't just write something off because you think it is so stupid that no one would make such a mistake. Unless you are that poster, you can't know that that wasn't the problem. Maybe he solved it by playing on a better computer? ;) Or possibly the beta patch solved it.
Cpt Earb

Postby Cpt Earb » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:33 pm

Stop whining start winning.

This game is about getting destroyed. The most fun fights were the fights when i lost, everythings burning, doing stuff like crazy, kaboom dead.

The boring fights are the "prepare your weapons" and enemy dies.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:55 pm

I've won, NOW i whine... i got destroyed :cry: with Glaive + Ion Bomb i got destroyed :( it's not fair Curse that Zoltan supershield, i couldn't even board. Only two puny green ones on the whole ship with no medbay. But they had Fire + Pike beams and a Heavy Las MkII.

I got kamehameha'd by those beams sooo fast it was just a blur... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
licker

Postby licker » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:26 pm

lol...

I love the implication from these whiners about how every run in a rougelike should be a win too...

The win rate in any decent roguelike is going to be much much lower than the win rate in FTL. Why? Even though you can scum like made in (most) roguelikes you still eventually have to go to the death zones where one mistake means you die. FTL is like that in some ways, but it's also jacked up the 'luck' factor just in what drops you get, or what stores you hit when you have the cash to afford what you want to buy.

For every 'this game screwed me because of X' there's another run through where 'this game was gifted to me because of Y'.

FTL is so simple compared to roguelikes, it's also faster paced, it's also got more 'random' to it because you can't just scum a level over and over to max out whatever you like (actually you can do this, it's called 'Easy Mode', I would hope that most competent players can beat easy mode around 50% of the time if not more, because, it is, easy).

But if you don't like the random then you don't like it. Removing it would make this game probably too easy to beat consistently, and frankly, the re playability in this game is due to the fact that you're likely to die in 90% of your runs because you don't get the right break at the right time. That's just the design, like it or hate it, kind of pointless to complain about it.
Derakon

Postby Derakon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:00 pm

licker wrote:lol...

I love the implication from these whiners about how every run in a rougelike should be a win too...
That's not what I said. I said every game in a roguelike should be winnable. My deaths in, say, Angband or NetHack or even Dungeons of Dredmor are always my fault, for failing to judge how dangerous a situation was, failing to be adequately cautious, failing to have the right preparations. I can look at the death screen and go "yup, shouldn't have done that."

Whereas in FTL it is impossible to judge a situation until you're already in the thick of it. It's impossible to be adequately cautious (beyond e.g. not trying to fight giant alien spiders) because there's no concept of a cautious vs. aggressive stance. It's impossible to have the right preparations because no matter what your build is, you cannot cover all the bases and there's always a hard counter.

The win rate in any decent roguelike is going to be much much lower than the win rate in FTL. Why? Even though you can scum like made in (most) roguelikes you still eventually have to go to the death zones where one mistake means you die. FTL is like that in some ways, but it's also jacked up the 'luck' factor just in what drops you get, or what stores you hit when you have the cash to afford what you want to buy.
I can win over 50% of my Angband games. Not because Angband is easy, but because I've been playing it for years and I don't make the mistakes in the "death zones". It's not easy! It requires skill, which is why I'm still playing Angband even with such a high win rate. But even when I was a rank newbie, when I died I could say "Well, I didn't realize that Gravity Hounds could deal that much damage, but now I know and next time I'll be prepared." Like I said in my original post in this thread, though, there's no lesson to be learned from encountering an invincible death-machine in FTL. You just die, curse, and start over.

For every 'this game screwed me because of X' there's another run through where 'this game was gifted to me because of Y'.
I find that in FTL X happens far more often than Y. The game can be easy if it decides to just hand you everything you need -- my first win was like this -- but far more often it is difficult-to-borderline-impossible because it denies you almost everything that you need and then generates nasty events on top of that.

FTL is so simple compared to roguelikes, it's also faster paced, it's also got more 'random' to it because you can't just scum a level over and over to max out whatever you like (actually you can do this, it's called 'Easy Mode', I would hope that most competent players can beat easy mode around 50% of the time if not more, because, it is, easy).
I don't scum in Angband. I dive through the dungeon like crazy. I still usually end up adequately prepared for fighting Morgoth (the end boss) by the end of the game. Yes, you can scum like crazy and build up levels and gear tediously fighting orcs, but it's not much fun so I don't do it. Not scumming is more difficult but it's also more fun and the difficulty curve is still smooth! Steeper, but smooth.

FTL's difficulty curve is all over the place. I'd be seriously impressed if a master FTL player could win >50% of their games on Normal.

But if you don't like the random then you don't like it. Removing it would make this game probably too easy to beat consistently, and frankly, the re playability in this game is due to the fact that you're likely to die in 90% of your runs because you don't get the right break at the right time. That's just the design, like it or hate it, kind of pointless to complain about it.

The point isn't that the game is hard but that it's the wrong kind of hard. Games should be about testing the player's skill. When the player makes a mistake, punish them for it, and make it clear what they should have done differently. Then give them the scope, in the next game, to do that thing differently and overcome the obstacle that stopped them last time. I'm not saying there should be an optimal strategy to FTL that should win the game every time, but there needs to be more room for the player to skillfully deal with bad situations that they could not possibly have prepared for (c.f. the aforementioned "every build has a hard counter" problem).
Vind

Postby Vind » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:15 pm

Honestly you can jump out from 80% of "impossible" fights. Granted sometimes AI get lucky and destroy bridge and engine room almost instantly but chance is really low. You cant complain game is hard - because in beacons you are not visited may be loads of free weapons and crew - you just missed it and blame the game for it? It is your choice which places to visit and which to avoid.